UnitedHealth Group

Updated Mar 20, 2014

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Optum: Well organized, very smart people, good environment; Disadvantages of Corporate.

Data Manager (Former Employee)
    Rocky Hill, CT

ProsThe company is well organized,focused on process and training improvements, and has one of the most intelligent groups of people I have ever worked with.

They also have one of the premier healthcare analytics products available, though it is unclear with Obamacare's mandated coverage how important this will continue to be.

ConsWith that said the culture is one of hard, high-quality work; and relatively comparatively ego-less support of coworkers toward the best outcome for the customer. In my 7 years there I could always find this or that little thing to complain about; but I was always treated with respect and there was never a time when I saw someone try to cast blame, or put someone down for other's benefit. That safety may not be ubiquitous throughout the company; but was certainly widespread in my working area. There was also a large push last year to focus of people keeping working hours at 40, which greatly benefited work life balance

Pay, and PTO seem about standard for the industry, and the industry is undervalued as a whole. Improving pay/benefits would make it easier for the company to keep top tier people. I worked remotely, and found that remote workers were not utilized fully or given the same opportunities in the company... Some of that may be endemic to the situation, but is still a major weakness.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe part of the company where I worked also goes thru a reorganization and often layoffs -- which catch a lot of really good workers -- about every 10 to 16 months, often just as people finally get settled into the new processes, so these re-orgs cause a lot of wasted time and effort, and damages employee trust in upper management.
    It also tends to push people into thinking that if something doesn't work really well; just stick it out as the problem will be re-organized away after awhile, rather than them working harder and pushing back to make it work better.

The biggest areas that management needs to improve (aside from the typical pay / PTO / total compensation): There need to be fewer re-orgs; and rather than ramping up staffing then doing mass layoffs (which causes a lot of good people to leave in itself); the company should hire more slowly and take the effort to go thru the processes of culling, say, the lowest 10% performers individually, if that is the strategy they choose; they should also find and stick with an organizational strategy that works, then tweaking at the edges to make that work better.

Put me in the hospital

Senior PM (Current Employee)
    Rocky Hill, CT

ProsMy coworkers were very nice people who were caught in the same trap I fell into. Working for this horrendous company.

ConsOne of the worst companies I ever worked for. Management's solution when there people were leaving like rats off a sinking ship, tired of 70 and 80 hour work weeks caused by poor management decisions. Do more with less. How trite and how stupid. Management micromanages staff to try to correct for bad decisions they themselves have made and then blames middle managers and professionals for the results. The company put me in the hospital. I would NEVER work for them again.
    The CIO Andre J lied to me to get me to take the job then failed to fulfill every promise I was made. After meeting others I was told this was his MO.

What was once a great place to work is now horrible. Stay away unless entry level or unemployed.

Senior IT Systems Management Consultant (Former Employee)
    Rocky Hill, CT

ProsFlexible Work Schedule, Work remotely via VPN, Plentiful free parking, good 401K matching, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Easy to travel to, pay cafeteria on site,

ConsConstantly in a state of re-organization and change, poor healthcare benefits, little to no investment into training for IT employees, no career path options, expected to go way above and beyond job description and grade level without financial compensation or authority to perform role (in an individual contributor role, I was expected to manage a team with 8 direct reports and 25 subordinates), expected to manage your managers and manage up, senior management talks the talk, but does not walk the walk with regards to the Optuminsight code (Integrity, honesty, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementExecute on a plan to completion to rectify the poor scores on the annual vital signs employee survey that's given every year. Year after year the scores on the vital signs surveys are consistently negative in the areas I've outlined in the cons section of this review. The employees are speaking to you but you are not listening.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very unhappy place to work as employee surveys show

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Rocky Hill, CT

ProsGreat location to commute to and from work; ample parking
    VPN accessible
    Solid opportunities for entry level employee with minimal experience
    Flexible work arrangement possible (based on who you report to)
    Telecommunicating required
    Updated laptop configuration
    Free coffee

ConsMedical benefits are the worst in the region; basically catastrophic care. Prepare to pay out of pocket
    Bonuses and salary increases are few and far between
    Highly political environment; merit is undervalued - politics overvalued
    Closed communication shop; everything is "need to know basis"
    Continuous reorganization, realignment, and rebranding; high attrition rate of senior management and regular staff
    Rocky Hill employees not respected; Was told I must move to Minnesota for promotion or bonuses
    Leadership positions often post as MN-only; shrinking presence in Connecticut
    Middle Management not subject to 360 feedback, employees not asked for manager feedback
    Work spaces are small and disgraceful; Directors and AVPs forced to sit in small cubicles
    Technology positions continue to shift to offshore captive in India where there is ZERO accountability for quality issues, and missing deadlines
    Employee surveys reflect a very dissatisfied work population (particularly in Rocky Hill)
    Low budget for training or certification; inconsistent
    Subjective reviews; "Meets" is the standard regardless of time or effort
    Long hours, project celebrations rare; PMs are overloaded beyond reason

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk. Take the time to determine if your middle managers are contributing value to the organization or - just managing up. Make Rocky Hill site a valued part of the organization or just shut it down - you'll save time by not "training for attrition". Require employees to provide feedback on managers (and stop the witch hunts on who gave what input!!)

Unbelievable lack of communication - heading in the wrong direction

Associate Director (Current Employee)
    Rocky Hill, CT

ProsThere are some good people there

ConsManagement is horrible. If you plan on applying, don't do it. Find something else. Found out they are going to have another RIF soon. They already had one in Nov 2012 that completely changed the perception of current employees - and not in a good way. They expect us to act as if nothing happened, but all should fear their jobs.
    Leadership is a joke. They are basically non existent and when asked questions about direction and what is going on, they have no answer or just make stuff up.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose up shop - they are doing more harm to the industry and brand than they think they are. Colleagues of mine in other firms are getting wind of this stuff and basically laughing at the attempt to be a consulting services firm.

Great opportunities for professional development but slow advancement

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Rocky Hill, CT

ProsInteresting project work and clients. Many telecommuting job opportunities. Owned by UHG, Optum is a large enough organization to find one's own niche.

ConsLack of standardized and discplined approaches to project work; organization goes through structural changes too often; comp not tied to performance

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course before making additional organizational changes. Invest more in employees at an individual level. Hold others accountable in demonstrating Optum's core values.

Company a nightmare to work at.

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Rocky Hill, CT

ProsIt's easy to get to when traffic is bad. There is plenty of sunshine in the building due to the open window and cube space, and there is free coffee that is ready to be made every morning. The refrigerator is cleaned biweekly by caring employees who have a great concern for hygene and the carpet smells good. Bathrooms are clean also.

ConsManagement does not uphold unwritten promises to employees, backbiting is common place, and as a nursing mother I was treated shabbily.

Work/Life balance seems to not be taken into consideration at all.

Compensation is used like a hammer to try to get you to perform above your paygrade as if you don't deserve what you work hard for.

Managerial Bullying seems to be part of the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your laws, keep your promises, treat your staff with respect.

Good Place to get a foot in the door.

Rocky Hill, CT

ProsPTO Time is the most I have started out with out of any company I worked for. My manager is very knowledgable and encourages to think outside the box.

ConsMost people Work from Home. Medical Ins is horrible wish they offered a standard medical option. They low ball you on starting salary without room for negotation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team i have dealt with has been very open to concerns brought up. They try and solve any problems that may arise. Also my manager provided sufficent training along with learning new material on the job. Managers promote a active learning environment.

Sr. Management is Completely Incompetent

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Rocky Hill, CT

ProsFlexible work schedule - you can work any 12 - 14 hour time period you choose and can work from home.

ConsMOST employees are promised the world as they are being hired but the Dream Job they are promised and the comp never materializes
    Sr. Management is completely incompetent.
    Previous management screwed things up so badly that much of the talent has left and the remaining employees must do two (OR MORE) jobs just to keep things afloat.
    Every client seems to be upset with the service they receive and the quality delivered
    A direct quote - "People (management at Ingenix) don't want to correct problems they just want things to work well"
    Moral is horrible - many employees are only there because the economy is so bad
    Back stabbing to get ahead culture

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying during the hiring process
    Pay your people fairly
    Recognize that you may need to go through a few years of investment (where you will loose money) because of the very bad decisions you have made over the last few years. Bad decisions have consequences and you bad decisions will affect current profitability and moral.

Ingenix possesses all of the advantages and disadvantages of a large company

QA Analyst (Current Employee)
    Rocky Hill, CT

ProsThere is a commitment to work/life balance, decent salary, and decent PTO. Employees are empowered.

ConsLittl;e to no communication at times with various business teams. Too many assumptions of roles of other technical groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leadership needs to understand employee job roles as they exist before rolling out changes that can actually hinder overall ability to deliver quality software products.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings in Rocky Hill, CT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.