Unitrends Reviews

Kevin Weiss

1. Featured Review

Leading technology, committed team

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leading product in a competitive space. Development and support are top-notch. Unitrends continues to execute on product development and vision while other products in space are in disarray. This will lead to only more opportunity moving forward. Company is making concerted efforts to invest in the team, culture and training for current employees.

Cons

As outlined in many of the reviews below, the company has undergone many changes during my tenure with Unitrends. As with all organizations, especially growing ones, change is necessary in order to keep the company moving forward. Unfortunately, I believe many of the negative reviews are from individuals who have not benefited from these changes. A positive from this is that the management team is willing to take feedback and adapt- and we have the people and the product in place to succeed moving forward.

Advice to Management

The current team and product in place is stronger than ever. Keep the changes to a minimum in the near-term and we will deliver.

Used to be a phenomenal place to work.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was a great place for sales professionals at all stages in their career. We had a sales development program for those who had just graduated from college and wanted to launch their career in sales, and there were professional hires who have had anywhere from 2-20 years of working experience. When I started back in 2012, it was truly a good place to work, as everyone was so engaged and the technology was hot. The base salary is a bit low for industry standards, but they made up for it in On Target Earnings on your commissions. If you didn't make six figures, you were doing something terribly wrong. Also, the engineers were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable; which made the selling portion a lot easier. I bumped this rating a star because I truly did enjoy coming into work every day at some point in my career.

Cons

This place has really fallen with internal changes. When Mike Coney ,CEO was fired in Q4 of 2013, it began a series of layoffs and terminations that did not make sense for the company. It brought down the company morale, and it began to be a fearful place of work. No one was happy, but we were all afraid of saying anything. Kevin Weiss stepped in as the new CEO and implemented new changes that were not effective, and the remaining employees who had been with the organization for 3+ years started leaving in masses.

Advice to Management

You made irreversible decisions that can never bring the company back to where it used to be. Good luck with a whole new squad of sales reps who will never know what it was like in the "good ole days" and a team of paper-pushing upper management who don't know anything about the technology. You lost a great team of dedicated individuals who really made this place the company it has become and broke up a happy family.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing team atmosphere -Best-in-class solution -Management that cares about and listens to your opinion and perspective -Excellent earning potential -Terrific benefits -Fast-paced environment where hard work and good performance is rewarded Working at Unitrends is an excellent opportunity. The team here is incredibly strong - strong personnel, extremely strong management, and a terrific product to sell within a growing market. The work environment is fast-paced and exciting. I am truly excited to come to work every morning.

Cons

I am not sure there are any "cons." There is nothing that stands out as negative about my employment here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Stay true to the vision and continue to give the team the tools they need to meet end user needs and deliver a best-in-class experience both during and after the sales process.

The real story

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unitrends has been a amazing place to grow and learn as a professional. We engage directly with IT professionals to solve real world problems. Senior technical leadership demonstrate amazing competency and vision. As many reviews have touched on the product is absolutely rock solid, and growing. As a front line person in the organization I hear time and time again from our end users and partners that the product is absolutely as advertised. "It just works" is common speak. This write up is less an effort in recruiting, more an effort in defending a strong group of individuals that take pride in what we are doing here. There is no "kool-aid" The simple fact is, we have a top performing product in a billion dollar marketplace, that is also very competitive. The knowledge transfer happens in a very consultative, organized, and professional way. It takes time and effort to earn and maintain your customers trust.

Cons

I rated the organization a 4 star with the understanding that change is needed to grow. Change isn't always perfect. Yes, the company tried a new sales organization structure this year, it didn't fully work. With the same end result in mind we needed to change again. An uncomfortable reality of becoming a sales professional is the realization that you need to perform, you absolutely have to perform. I fully admit there have been uncomfortable moments while transforming our go to market, but the team is strong, and the product is stronger.

Advice to Management

Continue to accept the reality that we can't hit every time, and make continue to make adjustments with your employees in mind.

Negative Changes

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid product and support that is a great fit for SMBs who have a small IT staff looking for a simple and reliable solution. Lot of good sales reps, middle managers, great engineers. Generally really good people to work with who work hard and have fun.

Cons

The technology is good, not amazing. There are some very basic and critical feature sets that most backup companies have that Unitrends does not. The negative reviews on here are not just because people can't adjust to change or the recent layoffs. The company has undergone a ton of change in only a few years, which every employee has become used to. The problem is the recent changes haven't been well thought out and it was apparent to most people that the decisions were poor. Most notably, firing or pushing out the most senior and successful managers and directors, and replacing them with directors who did nothing more than take forecasts and couldn't help reps close deals or answer basic questions on the product. The company was more collaborative and successful when upper management could help strategize and assist their reps in hitting their goals. Only sales advice from upper management now is to make more calls, even when each rep is above 3 hours and 60 dials daily. Laughable that HR responds to these asking people to share their feedback in person. The company made it clear they wanted to get rid of all bad apples and any dissension could mean your time is up there. Culture isn't what it used to be. There was a constant feeling in the air that something was going to happen, a layoff, a new acquisition.... Despite preaching about transparency, they are less transparent than they ever had been. The office is a complete rumor mill as well.

Advice to Management

Own up to mistakes for once and don't put all the blame on sales. The blame for a large hiring blitz, segmenting the sales floor continually and ditching your leadership is not on the account managers.

Set my career back years

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

efficient product, good benefits, if you one of the few placed in a good territory there is decent earning potential. There are some very smart sales engineers that you can learn from and some good spirited folks that still remain.

Cons

If you scroll through the reviews that aren't canned responses from current employees you'll get the picture. Management, starting from the very top as been abysmal. If you are going to have folks write reviews at least make them realistic. For someone to come on here and give this company 4 stars is a slap in the face to my intellect. FUNNY how the first reviews that pop up at the top of the page and are considered "popular" are all the positive ones. Yet they have 1-3 helpful marks. I've also seen some of the most accurate reviews removed. This company takes no accountability. As stated in other reviews, they made several department shake ups, put most of the sales force in a no win situation, then fired them. Yet the people that made those decisions at the top, are still there. It all starts with Insight, the investment company that bought Unitrends. They don't care about you as a person, they'll throw you overboard in the middle of the ocean and pop a hole in your life raft. There are a few talented and intelligent managers but they're like diamonds in the rough. I left a solid company where I was making over 100K to join Unitrends. However, the company that I was sold on was not the company I worked for.

Advice to Management

I understand changes happen but the blame game gets old. People have family's and bills, and the sales reps were hung out to dry. It left a real bad taste in my mouth. The directors are WAY over their heads and the main problem is they aren't "sales" people and are disconnected from the reality on the floor. This is a broken system. Acknowledge this, it's the first step to changing

Emotionally Draining Environment

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sales Engineers were amazing to work with.

Cons

Account Managers received no leads and were expected to cold call most of the day...Call reports posted every 4 hours...Unrealistic Quotas...No Training...Fired everyone that knows about the product.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging the sales floor.

The Technology is Amazing

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are confident in your sales skills, you will make money here. This technology is absolutely crushing the competition. Our leadership on the technical side in both R&D and support are the best in class. The companies that they we've acquired have been future focused. As a team, we've seen a few acquisitions happen that left us curious and then months later, when the technology is brought to the sales floor to sell, it has been amazing. As with any sales job the harder you work the more money you will make. If you've ever worked at a company that had poor performance or a product that is difficult to sell, you will really appreciate working here. There is a need in the market for what we sell. The technology almost sells itself. The end users that we sell it to have a need, they typically have budget or are willing to find budget to fix their pain. Obviously, we don't have everything that everyone wants, but we usually meet 99% of a customers requirement. Most of the competition that we compete with, can't do it all or just focus on a small segment of what we do. The hardest part of this job is narrowing a customers wants vs. budget. Our channel program here is exceptional. Being a 100% channel focused company is an excellent thing to share with my partner community. If you know how to share money with partners or have ever worked in a channel position, you will see very quickly that our company believes that the channel is the most important thing. We have some very bright negotiators in management that will help you close deals if you raise your hand and ask. They encourage and give you ideas to help you grow your business. If you challenge the status quo and are willing to present why something should be done, they usually will do it for you to help you make a dollar. Overall, this is the best company I've ever worked for and see nothing but greatness in it's future.

Cons

If you are not used to change, this company is not for you. The company makes decisions quickly and often, if you do not like change or do not know how to handle change, you will learn to handle change while you are here. It is hard to find a path to the field if you really want to be there. I don't think this will be an issue a year or so from now.

Advice to Management

If we can make the sales floor compete a bit more with itself, we would all have much more fun. Lets have more competition and mix them up a bit.

Aug 11, 2015 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for recognizing all the great aspects of working at Unitrends! We are in total agreement about the need to be comfortable with change, since that is a key part of our business model. If ... More

Recommended for The High-Tech Sales Professional

Current Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Unitrends for several years. At the time, I was looking for a company which featured cutting edge technology and a leader in its field and rewards its employees in income and recognition. In my time here I have experienced the efforts and resources the organization has taken to give me the proper tools to exceed my personal and company objectives. This is a result of many factors some of which are: • Great leadership from the executive to mid management level. • Hands on management ready to assist and total involvement with accounts in order to facilitate a high close ratio • Invaluable On-going Training relevant to job success and continued professional development • Aggressive but attainable goals which keeps me challenged and compensated fairly • Excellent communication within the organization which has helped me be on the same page with my external and internal clients If you want to be paid for your performance and potential with a team that has the right mix for success then Unitrends is a place for you

Cons

intra-departmental communications can be improved

Aug 11, 2015 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for recognizing so many of the advantages of working at Unitrends, especially in the sales arena. Like any fast moving company, sometimes communications can suffer. We ... More

GREAT PRODUCT, ABYSMAL MANAGEMENT

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product is truly exceptional with world class support and excellent engineers.

Cons

From 2012-2014, Unitrends was one of the fastest growing tech companies for data backup and was a truly enjoyable place to work. Then the powers at Venture Insight ousted most of the upper management and it has been a disaster ever since. New CEO Kevin Weiss took over and promised a huge upswing in marketing (marketing is almost entirely non-existent), promised tremendous lead flow (can't remember the last lead that came in) and despite everyone's protests, further divided the sales floor into private and public sector (they only just got rid of that flawed plan and put things back to the way they were but not after laying off near 40% of the company). Moreover, I used to love working here. Now, if you don't gel your hair or talk superheros with certain managers (aka drink the kool-aid), you can hit quota, not be disgruntled or an otherwise distraction and still get fired. Never mind the fact that quota is almost completely unattainable.

Advice to Management

Leave. You continue to make bad decision after bad decision and put the blame on the staff. You outwardly blamed sales for the layoffs yet there is no marketing to help leads come in. New leadership is sorely needed.

Aug 11, 2015 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for recognizing our products, which continue to win industry awards and customer acclaim as the best in the business. And you're right, your fellow employees in customer support and ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed