Unity Health Care

Updated August 7, 2014
Updated August 7, 2014
2.5

Vincent A. Keane

Great mission, many good people, some poor management

Current Employee - Middle Management  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Washington, DC

I have been working at Unity Health Care full-time

Pros

Unity provides health care to low-income people who might otherwise have a hard time getting access to care. It's a very satisfying mission and good to know that we make a difference every day. There are some great people at Unity. Benefits are fairly generous and work-life balance is decent.

Cons

Upper management is disorganized and communication is poor. A lot of unnecessary frustration and inefficiencies are created by lack of communication and lack of trust. Various departments and various levels are poorly managed. Pay is relatively low.

The VP bottleneck is a huge barrier to getting things done. Some VPs are not aware or refuse to admit that they are unable to respond to needs in a timely way. There is a sense of chaos and of overwhelmed people at the top, contributing to poor communication because everything is always in crisis mode. This makes everything more stressful than it needs to be.

Random and all over the place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Unity Health Care full-time for less than a year

Pros

Met a couple of nice people.

Cons

Mgt is unknowledgeable about business practices, policies and execution. Everyone in mgt thinks they know but have no specialized certifications that prove they have learned anything and can actually apply it to anything. Everything is based on emotion and random concepts. It's ran like a mom and pop shop versus a corporation.

Allow people to actually take credit for their own work, versus trying to tag alone as if you had an influence because you're the senior level person. Trust those who are the specialists in their field to actually do their work, versus being led by "old practices" like you're a mom & pop shop. Quit being afraid to make people accountable for their actions versus letting everyone get away with everything because "we want to treat you well". Focus on what matters and not the petty things, e.g. focus on results not superficial concepts that doesn't help anything.

Job Summary

Current Employee - Administrator  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Unity Health Care full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work life balance, benefits, serving underserved community, promoting health awareness, giving back to the community

Cons

lack of good pay, no room to really grow and exceed

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not for the faint of heart...

Former Employee - Physician, Family Medicine  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Physician, Family Medicine in Washington, DC

I worked at Unity Health Care

Pros

Largest organization for working with the underserved in Washington, D.C. If this is your passion then you may find it very rewarding

Cons

Communication is poor between employees and management. Turnover is quite high, most providers stay with the organization out of a contractual obligation to the National Health Service Corps. The management seems to rely on this system for its staffing, rather than focusing on retention. So, most providers leave after their required years are up. Clinics are understaffed and underresourced simply due to lack of communication/organization. Feedback mechanisms are either not in place, or operate unprofessionally.
    My training and previous work experience focused on indigent care, which I loved, but after this experience I was so dejected and burned out I decided to move into the private sector.

Focus on what would keep providers in place rather than relying on the constant influx of NHSC staff. Current attitudes give the impression that we are indentured servants rather than committed providers of care to the underserved.

Very Positive

I have been working at Unity Health Care

Pros

Mission, visions, growth and work environmenr

Cons

salaries not up to par

Increase salaeries to real world figures

Worked for Unity Health Care? Contribute to the Community!