UnityPoint Health

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.1

Bill Leaver

Good at your job... they will keep dumping more and more on you

I have been working at UnityPoint Health full-time

Pros

Company is decent. Fellow staff and management notice your hard work. The hours help balance work and home life. The pay is better than some jobs in the area.

Cons

Even if you stress your worries to management, they don't seem to listen or care. If you show that you are a hard worker expect to have more and more dropped on your plate until you want to give up.

If you notice your employees are going above and beyond; prove it to them.

Admin

Former Employee - Human Resources in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Des Moines, IA

I worked at UnityPoint Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits, laid back atmosphere, low stress,

Cons

disorganized, mismanaged, poor facilities, lower level affiliates and employees disregarded

Limited growth opportunities

I have been working at UnityPoint Health

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Good camaraderie among employees

Cons

Growing too fast and management is not prepared for it. Does not promote from within

Don't work on North 3 at Methodist ( downtown). Otherwise Great place to work.

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Des Moines, IA

I worked at UnityPoint Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All in all it's a good place to work. Benefits,time off,coworkers, education opportunity were great!!

Before the new management on north 3 it was Great !!!

Cons

The New Management on north 3 was more out for their self then there employee's!! I never felt liked!! I never like I had room for personal growth with this management.

Review your North 3 management !!!

Nurse practitioner

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at UnityPoint Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Allows for independent practice. Busy practice. Earning potential is good if you want to work long hours. Vacation time is honored as long as you find a replacement.

Cons

Not much input - told our contracts changed to include working holidays and taking call. Must cover your time off (vacation) by finding own replacement to cover evening shifts. Co-workers are good about trading but means you need to work extra hours before vacation or after returning from vacation.

Frustrating - b/c of the community mental health model & SoIL's unreasonable documentation expectations.

Former Employee - QMHP in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - QMHP in Moline, IL

I worked at UnityPoint Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were some rewarding moments that made the exhaustive hours of paperwork, and emotionally draining struggle to make a difference - worth it sometimes. When you had those positive experiences, it reminded you why you chose to go into this field. There were also a lot of great people working in the mental health & substance abuse departments who genuinely loved the work they were doing and I had an opportunity to learn so much from them. I also worked with some amazing community partners who both respected and relied on me and many of my colleagues to help them navigate the system & empathized with the challenges we faced working with this population.

Cons

Some of the management was so focused on the business side of things they forgot why we were doing this work to begin with. They were unable & unwilling to advocate for staff to administration on coming up with reasonable accommodations for documentation. They were no longer client centered. Additionally, there seemed to be a stronger focus on pushing medication as a fix for all problems as opposed to trying to figure out what the root of the problem was. Too many kids on too many Meds! Also, needed to come up with a better system for referrals, assessments, and implementing innovative (and more time efficient) techniques & strategies for documentation. They needed to LISTEN to the ideas of the clinicians who were actually doing the work!

Go back and be a clinician for a while so you can regain a "client-centered" focus. This might light a stronger sense of urgency in you to lobby for changes with the State in documentation requirements. LISTEN to the ideas & suggestions of front line staff for improvements & modifications to the system & to programs - they are the ones doing the work all day, everyday - they have some great ideas. When looking to promote - promote for character & personality NOT for letters behind the name or skill (per se). I realize the letters "might" be necessary, but there are always ways around that. It's more important that the direct supervisor be approachable, conversational, and likable by staff - that they be inspiring, motivating, engaging, creative & PASSIONATE about the work, and about the organization.... And that they can "sell" whatever it is you need them to sell to the clinicians in a way that's client centered! The rest can either be taught, or worked with! Turnover is not only expensive, but extremely detrimental to the progress of the patients, and the majority of people who leave may claim burnout, or frustration with other policies, or even pay - but I'm confident they would say they did NOT have a good relationship with their supervisor.

Patient Access

Former Employee - Registration Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Registration Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at UnityPoint Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with volunteers and patients on a day to day basis was what I looked forward to.

Cons

Management is unaware how registration works. Management and supervisor Likes to put words in your mouth to suit their agenda. The supervisor is not on the floor a lot , therefore the supervisors enlists a co worker to tell what is going on. If you have an emotional disability, like anxiety or depression, St Luke's is not helpful when asking for accommodations. Co workers were difficult to work with.

Blood Bank is a nightmare

Former Employee - Mlt in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Mlt in Des Moines, IA

I worked at UnityPoint Health part-time

Pros

Leaving the lab at Methodist

Cons

Blood bank employees are simply the worst

My overall experience was great!

Former Employee - Safety Tech in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Safety Tech in Waterloo, IA

I worked at UnityPoint Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that work there are very friendly. The work place is a safe environment. They offer good hours with competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

The location wasn't the best. I worked at Allen Hospital in Waterloo and that area of town isn't the best.

Going through change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at UnityPoint Health full-time

Pros

Company has been going through quite a bit of change. It's grown over the past few years, and has also been in acquisition mode acquiring other hospital and clinic organization and forming joint ventures, thus the name change to UnityPoint Health (was formerly Iowa Health System). So it's a very busy time right now, but that's providing good job security

Cons

Company doesn't have a good approach to change management. They undertake new acuqisitions and initiatives without taking the time to really consider the feasibility of the large number of substantial simultaneous initiatives, which is resulting in a lot of strain and stress for some areas.