Univar

www.univar.com

Univar Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
Univar – US – “Univar HQ”

Univar President & CEO J. Erik Fyrwald

J. Erik Fyrwald

Pros
  • Good benefits, good learning opportunity if just starting your career & stable industry(in 14 reviews)

• It wasn't perfect, but the problems were far outweighed by the great people working there then(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long-term employees could see the problems, but they were ignored(in 4 reviews)

• Many good people are being forced to leave or are wisely leaving for the competition(in 6 reviews)

Great people, great office and great management in what was the Glen Rock, NJ office.

Inside Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) Glen Rock, NJ

ProsGreat office, great people and good benefits.

ConsNeopotism, increases are not necessarily given based on merit, rather given across the board which does not instill individuals to work harder since everyone get the same amount.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect, appreciate and acknowledge the good, hard working people to make the day to day operations happen.

nothing special

Prospay is good and benefits are good.

Constoo many people in high positions that know nothing of the job and do not listen to advice.

Difficult environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsSome decent coworkers.
    Some of them even care about doing a good job. Due to all of the constant changes there are not many positives left concerning this company.

ConsThere is no concern for employees at this company. There has been too many changes recently. Many employees simply come in to collect a paycheck only while those who care do all of the work. People are put into manager roles that have no people skills creating bad moral. No room whatsoever for advancement. So much more negative to list here.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running the company with the belief that sales is the only worthwhile group. There is no confidence in you from any of your staff. New Chicago office is a joke -where all of you snobs can smooze with each other. Start caring about people. So much more...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Welcoming, driven and employee/customer focused.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEnvironment that challenges its people in a positive way. Fast paced. Great people. Leadership has made many changes, but they are on the right track and need to stay the course! Great time to join this company and help lead the change!

ConsMany changes in the past which can create angst among long time employees who like day to day sameness. Changes are headed in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course, but carefully monitor the pace of change.

Does not understand needs of working mothers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome fun people that really enjoy laughing. Those people make the environment friendly.

ConsThe corporate policy is that sick time cannot be used if your child is sick. You are required to take unpaid time. You also are not allowed to work from home if taking care of a sick child. Kids will always get sick and they need their mother home with them. Univar does not understand that.

Regional Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFive years ago there was not enough room here to write all the pro 's. It was a great place to work--I looked forward to going to work every day. I had advanced time and time again in my role, my responsibilities , and my compensation.

And now there are none worth writing.

ConsCons summed up in one word---MANAGEMENT. not trustworthy, not ethical, they see absolutely no value in their employees. They say they do but it's not true. Actions speak louder than words. Long term employees are taken advantage of and held back. Example after example after example of this is available.

Customer service has been moved so far from the customer that there is no longer a relationship based business. There is no loyalty between employer/employee, customer/univar, supplier/univar. Univar is extremely slow to pay causing vendors to be frustrated yet push customers to hold to terms-even if they are also a vendor and univar owes them even more than they are trying to collect. Very poor mgmt at regional level who whip employees to give more and more without and recognition, compensation or appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider new employment to allow univar to succeed.

Such a shame to see a good company ruined by Equity Firms

Corporate (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsPrior to approximately 3 years ago, this company was generally a great place to work at. It wasn't perfect, but the problems were far outweighed by the great people working there then. Since then, the two equity firms that own it, and the management teams that they have brought it (and rotated through) have decided that absolutely nothing is as important to them as them trying to position the firm for an IPO. This is common knowledge now to anyone in the industrial chemicals sales field. This once great firm is now the laughing stock of the industry. This is such an embarrassment to us former employees.

ConsToo many to list. I strongly, strongly suggest that you look elsewhere if you are considering working here. Life is just too short to deal with these types of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is useless to talk with these people, or offer them any advice. They don't want to hear it, they already know everything.

Worst place on Earth to work if you want to succeed in life!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNothing good about this company.

ConsNo chance to move up in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually learn something about distribution.

Good pay and benefits, but management sucks

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsGood pay, good benefits. However, very little in the way of career planning or advancement opportunities.

ConsThe company management absolutely sucks. If you're smart, stay FAR away from this horrid company

Advice to Senior Managementget some new management

At one time a great company, unfortunately poor management & aggressive expansion killed employee morale.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, good learning opportunity if just starting your career & stable industry. Univar was the best chemical distribution company at one time, however poorly executed expansion and weak leadership decisions slowly destroyed what could have been a true industry leader.

ConsGood ole boy network when it comes to promotions. Your golf handicap matters more than industry experience (at least where I worked). Weak local management used intimidation to motivate employees by threatening termination. Annual bonus was a joke. One month your tracking to make bonus, the next month your not because the branch screwed the pooch.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider recruiting talented leaders with real world chemical distribution experience. CPG and hospitality experience doesn't cut it.

Worked for Univar? Contribute to the Community!