Univar

Updated November 19, 2014
2.2

Univar President & CEO J. Erik Fyrwald
J. Erik Fyrwald

Pros
  • Good benefits, good learning opportunity if just starting your career & stable industry (in 17 reviews)

• It wasn't perfect, but the problems were far outweighed by the great people working there then (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long-term employees could see the problems, but they were ignored (in 5 reviews)

• Great good old boy network still exists (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful People

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Romulus, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Romulus, MI

I have been working at Univar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Near my home, management is great, personal traning

Cons

nothing negative to say about the company.

Good place and good people

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Univar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People is great and willing to help

Cons

Not at this moment can't say

Ok Company, Ok job

Former Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA

I worked at Univar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, relaxed atmosphere, steady customer base and steady revenues. Industry leader in the United States. The people are nice and co workers are friendly.

Cons

No one wants to disrupt anything in this company. Do what we do, plug along, keep with the status quo. With the distribution network that Univar possesses they could really expand the business.

Look to the future, not the past

Stagnant company with a vanished individuality.

Former Employee - Material Handler in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Tampa, FL

I worked at Univar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Experience and knowledge learned during working.

Cons

Short term / temporary working atmosphere.

Stop becoming a revolving door and renew the qualities that attracted long term quality.

What's next?

I have been working at Univar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co workers that care about getting the job done.

Cons

Changes that don't make sense. We saw upper management try to run a manager out of the company by making him work nights and when he did not they knocked him down to a supervisor and put him in a position where he did two people's jobs. They offered his job to a new guy who was quickly promoted to District. After that, they didn't put a manager at night. Weird. When they couldn't run him out, they just terminated him, and he was a very good manager. It's scary when something like that happens. We just wait to see what is going to happen daily to the company.

They wouldn't listen

Rough place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Univar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is ok, benefits are ok

Cons

No processes, no patience, low morale, high stress
    Some employees treat the job like it is hourly
    Managers have no work life balance
    Poor internal cooperation and communication

Invest in process development and standardization
    Make sure you have sufficient resources to cover the basics
    Do not beat on the managers about morale. - the managers are struggling with morale also

Rewarding Experience. Territory Management. Need better managers.

Former Employee - Teritory Manager - Mini Bulk in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Teritory Manager - Mini Bulk in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I worked at Univar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Excellent benefits. Excelent perks. Good training. Excellent opporutnities for advancement. Ability to move throughout industry verticals. Ability to relocate nationwide or internationally.

Cons

My experience was with a poor manager. There was very little guidance given regarding the position for which I was hired. Unfortunately, I do not believe that the manager in that position was all that comfortable with the position and did not have a good handle on how to deal with employees.

I would suggest that managment help employees through their learning curves. Implement company mentors to give employees an outlet to bounce ideas off of. Have clear goals and objectives to reach. Do not change goals or be vague about which KPI's to enforce and which to not. Have same standars for all employees.

Used to be great

I worked at Univar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked at 2 locations and 2 different positions at 2 different times. My first time with Univar was absolutely fabulous, great coworkers on the west coast. I worked hard but the atmosphere was amazing. Then a few years later I went back to work for them on the east coast this time and the company either changed or it was the people and culture that was different. Different position (sales) but I didn't have a good experience. No direction, did not want to focus on building customer relationships as I had done in my previous position as a Coordinator, only care about increasing revenue and new sales at the expense of existing customers.

Cons

Lack of direction, bad middle managers, no training

A Love & Hate Relationship

I worked at Univar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One thing I miss about working here were the benefits and the certain individuals who truly fought hard to provide great service to customers. Compensation was very good and there was some room for personal growth. A great place to work for in terms of financial stability. They were open to cross-training and had an open door policy. Office break room was nicely stocked with free coffee/Gatorade/tea. The trust from management to allow you to do one's job without them breathing down your back was nice, no micromanaging.

Cons

Bad management all around from branch to branch, favoritism, pointing of fingers when issues arise (whether it's between departments or branches), lack of employee recognition, low company morale, variations of certain procedures from branch to branch, a divide between departments, allowing certain customers to bully employees around, etc. They stall hiring of contracted employees because of the IPO filing but gave them more responsibilities than what is appropriate for their pay.

When the company fails a customer, rather than pointing the blame at a specific department ("they" messed up), try using "we" messed up. Certain management and branches are quick to throw one another under the bus and customers sense the divide. Stop avoiding problems especially when you know the exact root of the cause, do not allow someone's seniority be the basis of judging the morality of a situation (because no one is perfect and we all make mistakes). Work more honestly. Do not force others into a situation where one has to judge their own morality and ethics. Update your system. Seriously. It's very old. Reassess your high and mid-level managers. Some are obviously not fit to lead.

34 years of diverse management experience

Former Employee - Anonymous in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Redmond, WA

I worked at Univar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long term stability and benefits

Cons

Currently undergoing management shift where experience is not respected. Count the number of high level and mid level managers that have left the company in the past two years. Although the retention % fits some magic metric at the corporate level as being within permissible levels, it is the experience that is heading out the door. Pay attention. Look at who you have lost.

Use your talent - a lot of it is leaving. Forget retention levels.....look at retaining your top talent and stop letting the experienced people leave to help other companies.

Univar Photos