Univera Healthcare

3.3

David H. Klein

Wonderful

Former Employee - Medicare Customer Service Advocate in Williamsville, NY

I worked at Univera Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Allowed to help members as you see fit, no strenuous guidelines placed on you. Allowed to help the member and take the time necessary to do so.

Cons

NONE, NOT ONE...has fitness facility and chef staffed cafeteria, get a omelet made fresh for you in the morning before your shift...awesome!

Allow for more expansion within the company and let your staff's opinions count.

Medicare Advocate/Customer Service

Former Employee - Medicare Customer Service Advocate in Williamsville, NY

I worked at Univera Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, concerned and helpful co-workers. Some flexibility in scheduling. Casual dress most days.

Cons

No bonus, low pay. Potential for burn out as you have to have a thick skin to listen to people's serious health issues day in and day out and still provide comfort and assurance. No promotion path.

Turnover would be stemmed if they'd raise the base pay for the call center associates. Medicare is the profitable side of the business and could afford to increase the compensation for the people on the front lines with the members. Better soft skill and call handling development should be invested in as well.

customer service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Univera Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits nice coworkers

Cons

phone call after phone call etc etc ......................................

Univera healthcare

Current Employee - Claims in Williamsville, NY
    Current Employee - Claims in Williamsville, NY

I have been working at Univera Healthcare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a job anybody can do

Cons

They test you during training. they train you not to be human.

They need to be human not a bill collector and the trainer needs to be fired for not teaching on how to be nice and too much with programs. hint use the computer in today's world let the computer come up with start end dates of insurance and let the worker talk and listen to customer. Let them use the word I am sorry. known fact that the word unfortunately annoys the customer.

A Nice Place to Work

I worked at Univera Healthcare as a contractor

Pros

- Most people were extremely nice and genuinely helpful
    - Very laid back, exemplified by the dress code (hoodies and jeans are completely appropriate in some departments)
    - Family atmosphere - people are very social, even during the busiest times
    - Upper-level management is very involved in the affairs of all levels of the company; rarely are Presidents as approachable as Mr. Wingerter

Cons

- I noticed a general lack of ambition among the employees - most people were happy enough to pick up a paycheck and didn't seem to care about moving forward in their career
    - The demographics of the company could be problematic down the line; there weren't many young people at Univera
    - For a healthcare company, the vast majority of the workforce was in pretty poor heath and most people were at least moderately obese

A great place to work.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Univera Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most are very friendly and kind. Everyone, generally, is willing to help each other and works well as a team.

Cons

Because of the nature of the business, there are governmental structures in place that make it impossible to be efficient.

Over all I am happy with management. They are on the whole willing to listen, willing to help, flexible, and supportive. One of my managers in particular, sometimes speaks down to many of my colleagues, which bothers me.

My time at Univera was very positive, fulfilling and productive.

I worked at Univera Healthcare

Pros

I just stumbled on this site. Am amazed at the couple of negative reviews. My time there was great. Would still be there if hadn't relocated. There are 500+ employees...very friendly place. Comfortable campus setting. Free parking on site, cafeteria, fitness room, on-site dry cleaning pick up, fun employee-run events committee and a running club. Work/Life balance was perfect for our young family. Formal, honest and fair process for annual reviews. Good pay, great benefits. Part of larger company, but that's not a negative...for me provided opportunity to do cross-regional work and grow/expand my resume. People around me were always bidding on posted opportunities, and advancing their positions within the company. I didn't hear any complaints from them! It's a non-profit, and I can honestly say that the members always were the highest priority.
    I started near entry level, but worked up to mid-level. For me it was a good place to work. I wish my new employer was more like Univera.

Cons

No real cons about working there (from my experience). But, health care in general is has a big target on it these days. Nobody likes paying the premiums. Understandable. But, at least I knew that I was working for one of the "good guys."

It's a time of change in health care, and employees were always nervous about the future...with reform, etc. Good communication from senior leadership is important.

Difficult to advance if you are truly an intelligent person

I have been working at Univera Healthcare

Pros

Lots of positions tend to open up very frequently, leaving many options open if you choose to apply for them.

Cons

It is almost impossible to get one of those open positions unless the right people like you, you are related to the right person, or you are in the right clique. They are also frequently filled with outside people, who know nothing of the basic operations of the company/division.

Pay closer attention to the true qualifications that make your employees good candidates for advancement within the organization. Stop the nepotism and hiring from outside.

NOT the best place to work

I have been working at Univera Healthcare

Pros

The pros are few but would include good pay, good benefits and good life/work balance. Unfortunately they come at a high cost….

Cons

Not only are these other reviews 100% accurate but if you work here they will send you an email EVERY SINGLE DAY asking you to take multiple surveys voting Univera the “Best Place to work” in exchange for ice cream and other novelties.

They should be less concerned with their public image and more concerned with a highly depressed staff and high turnover rate.

Horrible experience to say the least

I worked at Univera Healthcare

Pros

Nice co-workers, just trying to do their job
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Management was ruthless and dishonest-never did I receive a straight answer or have a non-condescending conversation with anyone in management

Depression was rampant. The company outlook was grim, and management just piled more work onto less people

use less paper (modernize), identify talent and find a good place for them, and respect your employees the same way you expect them to respect you...