www.uasc.com

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
3.7

Ted Naimer

Status quo no longer acceptable.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Universal Avionics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

After decades of running the business the same way senior management is discussing direction, purpose and focus on what will take the company to success in the next decade. Glad to see them having the difficult discussions that come with running a business. A lot of fresh talent has come into the company bringing renewed energy, outside perspectives and ideas.

Cons

A lot of tenured employees trying to ride out to retirement without wanting to put any energy into the future. Too much "just tell me what to do" mentality among staff.

Pay and benefits structure is sound. Keep focusing on direction, better communication, swapping out stale employees with more energetic, driven ones to take the company to the next big era.

Unstable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Universal Avionics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Supervisors for manufacturing are very good and fair.

Cons

Unstable at this point. Many changes that don't make sense. Reduction in force followed by upper level promotions.

Great until new CEO changed his style of management a few years ago.

I have been working at Universal Avionics (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and compensation are great. Most of the people that have worked at Universal for more than 10 years are really great.

Cons

Senior management is not clear on their requirements for the employees and unrealistic in their expectations.

Great small company with a bright future

Current Employee - Software Verification Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Verification Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Universal Avionics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Universal has been around for a long time, with many original employees still working there. So the culture is very family-like. Management structure is fairly flat so there is lots of transparency. Excellent work/life balance with flexible scheduling. Benefits are decent. Interesting projects and always something new to learn.

Cons

Not much to say here. Some projects move very slowly but for good reasons. There can be a lot of down time every now and then.

Nothing to complain about.

Overall a challenging and positive experience

I worked at Universal Avionics full-time

Pros

Family owned company with interesting products. Senior management is interested in the employees. Good benefits. Opportunities for lateral moves and advancement. Relatively flat organization. Senior management makes an effort to keep employees informed and keep communication open.

Cons

Tough to compete with larger companies in the avionics arena. Resources do not necessarily match the scope of the projects resulting in long hours to meet schedules. The company has a tendency to try to take on too much at once.

Long tenure, Poor Managers, Slow to change

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Universal Avionics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ok pay,
    Family-like culture,
    Decent benefits,
    A lot of industry knowledge

Cons

Weak managers, promotion of internal people into management when not qualified
    Slow to adopt new practices,
    Older technologies used in products
    Slow to make decisions

Fire the poor performers ASAP

Great people. Interesting Work.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Universal Avionics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The biggest benefit to working here is that the people are absolutely great to work with. Universal hires quality people that are very passionate about the industry. The projects and work are very interesting and there always seems to be something new to learn.

Cons

The pace of projects can be slow, and sometimes VERY slow. So there can be a lot of down time. This is mainly because of FAA regulations and making sure that the company is producing a safe and quality product. Upper management is not always the most efficient at approving projects and handing down assignments.

Excellent work environment and plenty of opportunities.

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Universal Avionics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I first started at Universal Avionics as an intern and my experience there far exceeded my expectations. My manager was a mentor and turned the internship into a true learning experience by making me feel free to ask questions and by helping me work through problems I encountered. Even as an intern, the work I did was enjoyable and I knew that the company would benefit from it. I left the company to complete my degree and decided to return as a full-time software engineer.

The company works hard to ensure happiness of their employees by making sure they have everything they need to make their job enjoyable. The benefits are great and there are opportunities to move around and work on a variety of projects so that you do not feel stuck working on one thing for your entire career (unless that is your desire). The people are also very nice, fun and pleasant to work with.

The management is generally quite flexible with hours. As long as you are there during the core time of the day and have a consistent schedule, you can choose your start and end time.

Cons

The nature of the avionics industry is that there are many regulations that have to be followed before products can be released. This can sometimes make the process seem slow, but it is intended to be thorough and complete.

I love working at UASC, the people and work environment are great.

Current Employee - Manager, Administration in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Manager, Administration in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Universal Avionics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at UASC for 16 years. I feel our senior management is wonderful. There is a very 'open door' feeling where questions are always welcome. They have set long and short term goals for the company and work hard to keep reaching those goals.
    I enjoy the people I work with and feel very close to most of them. They work hard and have that sometimes hard to find quality work ethic.

Cons

I'm feeling pretty generous right now and can't think of the cons. I'll return as soon as I have something.

Great people, okay employer.

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Universal Avionics full-time

Pros

Great family environment. Excellent camaraderie between employees.

Cons

Upper management seems to favor specific company locations. Not a lot of value placed on performing well (no performance based raises in years).

Treat all employees equally. Reward performance.

Universal Avionics Photos

Falcon -50-5 Display
2014 Outstanding Small/Medium Manufacturer of the Year in May by the Arizona Manufacturers Council

+ Add Photo