Universal Consulting Services

3.4
Charu Dhumne

1. Great people, limited opportunities

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time

Pros

Great people all the way to the top, flat management structure and decent benefits.

Cons

Limited opportunities for professional development, suggest investing / subsidizing more training for employees.

2. Limited career mobility

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services full-time

Pros

Smallish company. Personal relationships with leadership are very possibly if you care to have them. Good interaction and care for employees. Good training opportunities and funding.

Cons

Because the positions are driven by DoD contract, there is limited ability to move and advance, career-wise.

Advice to Management

Generate more interaction between employees whatever the contract. The customer should not have to ability we are currently giving them to dictate our culture. We need leadership for these teams even if we cannot bill for it directly.

3. Minor League Company

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time

Pros

Small company where you can get to know people. The company is agile and responsive to opportunities which is good. Unfortunately the growth into a larger company has impacted their ability to get new opportunities out of the 8-A world.

Cons

awful 401k administration and company match. It is foolish to have a 5 year vesting period when 80% of your employees turn over within three years. Limited benefits. Senior level people still have limited vacation days.

Advice to Management

Fix benefit structure. Fix Healthcare division. Get better partners to win contracts. Give better benefits. Have better professional education policies.

5. Good place to start!

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned so very, very much at UCS. They do take care of their people for a small business and it is a very friendly atmosphere.

Cons

The current environment of contractors bidding low is making it difficult to keep contracts. I assume it is like this everywhere.

Advice to Management

None really. Everyone is very, very friendly.

6. It's alright....

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services

Pros

They leave you mostly alone while you are on your contract. It probably depends heavily on who your contract is with and who your direct supervisor is, though. The benefits are alright.

Cons

You feel very cut out from the company. They are not great at contacting your about problems that affect just you and and not the company.

7. Analyst

I worked at Universal Consulting Services

Pros

decent company to work for, typical beltway bandit

Cons

senior management doesn't seem to take feedback about shirking employees seriously even when its blatant.

Advice to Management

reward hard working employees

8. Started off hopeful, quickly went downhill.

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work on your own without micro-managing. Some training made available. Decent vacation and sick leave as well as insurance.

Cons

My PM had no knowledge of the job I was performing and rarely visited my job site. They barely spoke to my on site supervisor but somehow was able to write a performance review for me and rather than discussing my performance, criticized my lack of participance in company functions. Apparently they are mandatory for favorable review. I was looking for strong communication throughout the year and not only when my PM decided to reach out. I felt like I was just a way to make a buck and not of any other importance.

9. Respect is a two-way street that management does not understand

I worked at Universal Consulting Services

Pros

The only good thing is the benefits but I expect in the coming years that will become similar to all other companies.

Cons

The company mainly hires managers that have no IT experience. Some have no managerial experience at all. If you do work here, be aware that you be required to give respect but you will not get respect. Be aware that some managers like to take off during lunch (2 hour ones) and do outside activities that should not be done. There are some managers that think that drinking, while on the job, is more important than getting the job done. If you attend the Christmas party, be prepared to see a lot of drinking and behavior unbecoming of managers and senior leaders.

Advice to Management

If you are going to be an IT company, then hire managers with real Information Technology experience not those with just a degree with it. It is sad when your tech savvy people have to completely brief managers on the planned technology prior to going into a briefing. You are only hurting the company by doing this. Saving a dollar by hiring someone without experience will not help the company in the long term but could potentially hurt it.

10. Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for! Excellent Benefits, Pay and Experience!

Cons

There are no cons. I was very satisfied working for this company

Advice to Management

Hire more!

11. TBI SME

Former Employee - TBI SME in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - TBI SME in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience and opportunity to work with military medicine teams involved in PH and TBI

Cons

The PD is written vaguely; thus leaving much room for various interpretation. TBI topics only consumed half my work day divided with program and project representation unrelated to TBI.

Advice to Management

Clearly write PDs to reflect employees expectations and improve written professional growth widgets for advancement from the SME level.

RSS Feed </> Embed