Universal Consulting Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charu Dhumne

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company to work for! Excellent Benefits, Pay and Experience!

ConsThere are no cons. I was very satisfied working for this company

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more!

TBI SME

TBI SME (Former Employee)
Falls Church, VA

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat experience and opportunity to work with military medicine teams involved in PH and TBI

ConsThe PD is written vaguely; thus leaving much room for various interpretation. TBI topics only consumed half my work day divided with program and project representation unrelated to TBI.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly write PDs to reflect employees expectations and improve written professional growth widgets for advancement from the SME level.

Makes me feel like family!

Consultant (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat salary, parties, benefits, career opportunities, amazing office, open minded owner.

ConsMight get a bit un-orginized.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring summer picnics back

My first job!

Consultant (Current Employee)
Falls Church, VA

ProsI graduated from a reputed University about 2 years ago. Based on my education the company hired me. Over the last two years I have been trained in technology, project management, and consulting. Now, I have confidence that I can do really well. Thanks to Universal Consulting.

ConsThough there is no structured training program I learned about all aspects of the consulting business on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe want to hear more from you.

Decent company - horrible leadership

Former Employee (Former Employee)
Frederick, MD

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUCS has a lot of great employees who work hard. Compared with other companies the salary and benefits are pretty good. Great positions for people entering the workforce.

ConsPromotion potential is horrible. The people that are promoted to managerial roles are a joke. They are the same people who come into the office late and leave early. They are not respected by their peers but are chosen based on their personal relationships with senior management. I saw too many hard working individuals that had more qualifications passed up for a manager role. I had to go elsewhere in order to reach my real potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the qualified individuals you have working for you and put them in a position of leadership or they too will leave as the rest of us have.

An OK place for an entry level position, don't plan on staying more than 1-2 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits are pretty good for a small consulting company in the DC area.

Aspects of ACTUAL federal consulting do exist at UCS, so take advantage of those even though the people around you aren't good representations of that.

Good work-life balance due to the federal nature of the company

ConsCompensation is low compared other comsulting companies.

Actual work done isn't comparable to similar roles in other companies, and this is due to the project managers and other lead roles not competent in their work.

In regards to my last comment, project manager and senior roles are randomly given as opposed to given to deserving and knowledgeable employers

Promotion or advancement isn't structured or organized at all

No organization in project timelines and structure

WAY too much office gossip

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote deserving employees, not just people that are free to take over a project.

Develop a structured/analytical way to evaluate your employees performance and mandate that it is used company wide.

Don't let good and smart employees walk away to similar companies just because you don't want to pay them

an opportunity to grow and work on many different facets of projects

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services

ProsAbility to work on different facets of different projects
At headquarters, ability to interface directly with senior leadership
Very accommodating to personal situations (working part-time, etc)
Ability to rise through the ranks quickly if performing well
Executive management is very accessible/open-door policy
Genuinely seem to be interested in recommendations from employees in terms of improving the company
Try to accommodate the interests of employees to help them grow professionally
Seem to have their heads on their shoulders in terms of structure within the company and how to grow the company

ConsFor employees at client site, there is a sense of disconnect from the company
Sometimes management is more worried about the bottom line than the needs of employees
Need more events that bring everyone in the company together
Don't do a good job of educating employees on the different types of projects/work the company does

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe there is a large dichotomy in sentiment between UCS employees at headquarters and those on client site. Employees at HQ seem to be generally satisfied and happy with the company and feel their contributions are valued. On the flip-side, it seems that many client-site employees feel that they have no visibility back to the company and that their contributions are not noticed. Senior management needs to do more to bridge this gap. Outside of that and a few other minor suggestions, I think the company is run very well and it has been a pleasure to work there.

A small company with the offerings of a large size contracting company and a family like feel.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services

ProsI have worked for UCS for over 10 years maintains a family-like environment while providing offerings of a large size contracting company which makes for a great work culture. Management is flat and agile, quick to react and communicate. In addition, management continues to look to expand both company and personal/professional development by paying for PMP cetification as well as taking on several initiatives recently to encourage employee growth. Promotion from within is heavily stressed and upward movement from one contract to another is common so growth opportunities are present. The work is challenging and stimulating. The company gives spot awards, bonuses, and year end payraises even when other comapnies in the industry are not. Additionally, the company has never let any well performing employee go simply because their contract ended and always works to find a place for employees who want to stay on.

ConsBeign a small business, the company is not always able to provide some of the larger company employee perks, such as tuition assistance. However as I've seen over the last 10 years - as the company grows, so will the employee perks.

UCS has provided me a rewarding career environment nurturing my growth potential

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services

ProsMultiple career oppportunties with various clients and projects
Employment not tied to a specific contract
Tremendous coporate growth year over year - leading to quick promotions and career enhancements for good performers
Good salary and benefits
Social culture conducive for all age groups and backgrounds
Open Door policy - Senior Management is always approachable and willing to listen

ConsWork can be hectic at time when deadlines are close - but that is to be expected in the consulting business

Incredibly responsive, effective company to both clients and employees.

Satisfied Young Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services

ProsA very flat organization compared to other consulting firms. Senior management make themselves available even to new/young employees for mentoring, consulting questions, and social events (happy hours, holiday parties, etc.). Most of my collegues in entry level/junior consultant positions don't have the access to Sr. Management that I do and likely won't for the next 10-15 years of their careers.

Very responsive to and supportive of employees. According to my knowledge, the company has never let any well performing employee go simply because their contract ended; always works to find a place for employees who want to stay on. Most large companies can't offer that.

Corporate (HQ) environment is a phenomenal work atmosphere; great blend of professionalism and intelligence coupled with light-heartedness and ability to have a good time. Even makes going to work on Mondays manageable... how many companies can offer that?

Pay is fair and very reasonable if you know what to ask for. Know what's fair for your skills/experience and make your work worth the pay and you'll be fairly compensated.

All said, it's the company culture that makes UCS stand out. If there's something lacking in your experience, figure out what you can do to change/create it. If your interests/passions can benefit the company in some way, they're almost certain to support you in it (advanced training, new projects, new domains, new regional areas).

ConsLike any company, individual job and manager have a big impact on one's experience. However, 99% of managers at UCS are great to work for and support their employees in every way possible.

As a relatively small company, doesn't have the resources of larger firms (tuition assistance, pro-bono/'sabatical'/international programs, etc.). However, as the firm continues to grow I'm confidenet leadership will begin to implement these types of services.

Some internal processes are become antiquated as the company grows. However, management has been on top of this, working to complete a number of new company-wide certifications (CMMI 2/3, ISO) and new processes to match growth. In reality these problems are consequences of tremendous growth, over 30% per year over the last 4 years, in an industry that over that same time period has continually talked about cut-backs and lay-offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow company resources. Tuitition assistance, sponsored volunteering (short term and long term), and overseas opportunities will be major draws for future employees, especially the younger generation, and will have a major influence on employee retention as salaries and benefits are generally level across the industry.

Worked for Universal Consulting Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Universal Consulting Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Universal Consulting Services CEO Charu Dhumne . All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Universal Consulting Services employees.