Universal Consulting Services

Add Photos

Charu Dhumne

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGreat company to work for! Excellent Benefits, Pay and Experience!

ConsThere are no cons. I was very satisfied working for this company

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more!

My first job!

Consultant (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsI graduated from a reputed University about 2 years ago. Based on my education the company hired me. Over the last two years I have been trained in technology, project management, and consulting. Now, I have confidence that I can do really well. Thanks to Universal Consulting.

ConsThough there is no structured training program I learned about all aspects of the consulting business on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe want to hear more from you.

Makes me feel like family!

Consultant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGreat salary, parties, benefits, career opportunities, amazing office, open minded owner.

ConsMight get a bit un-orginized.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring summer picnics back

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

UCS has provided me a rewarding career environment nurturing my growth potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsMultiple career oppportunties with various clients and projects
    Employment not tied to a specific contract
    Tremendous coporate growth year over year - leading to quick promotions and career enhancements for good performers
    Good salary and benefits
    Social culture conducive for all age groups and backgrounds
    Open Door policy - Senior Management is always approachable and willing to listen

ConsWork can be hectic at time when deadlines are close - but that is to be expected in the consulting business

an opportunity to grow and work on many different facets of projects

Project Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsAbility to work on different facets of different projects
    At headquarters, ability to interface directly with senior leadership
    Very accommodating to personal situations (working part-time, etc)
    Ability to rise through the ranks quickly if performing well
    Executive management is very accessible/open-door policy
    Genuinely seem to be interested in recommendations from employees in terms of improving the company
    Try to accommodate the interests of employees to help them grow professionally
    Seem to have their heads on their shoulders in terms of structure within the company and how to grow the company

ConsFor employees at client site, there is a sense of disconnect from the company
    Sometimes management is more worried about the bottom line than the needs of employees
    Need more events that bring everyone in the company together
    Don't do a good job of educating employees on the different types of projects/work the company does

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe there is a large dichotomy in sentiment between UCS employees at headquarters and those on client site. Employees at HQ seem to be generally satisfied and happy with the company and feel their contributions are valued. On the flip-side, it seems that many client-site employees feel that they have no visibility back to the company and that their contributions are not noticed. Senior management needs to do more to bridge this gap. Outside of that and a few other minor suggestions, I think the company is run very well and it has been a pleasure to work there.

A small company with the offerings of a large size contracting company and a family like feel.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsI have worked for UCS for over 10 years maintains a family-like environment while providing offerings of a large size contracting company which makes for a great work culture. Management is flat and agile, quick to react and communicate. In addition, management continues to look to expand both company and personal/professional development by paying for PMP cetification as well as taking on several initiatives recently to encourage employee growth. Promotion from within is heavily stressed and upward movement from one contract to another is common so growth opportunities are present. The work is challenging and stimulating. The company gives spot awards, bonuses, and year end payraises even when other comapnies in the industry are not. Additionally, the company has never let any well performing employee go simply because their contract ended and always works to find a place for employees who want to stay on.

ConsBeign a small business, the company is not always able to provide some of the larger company employee perks, such as tuition assistance. However as I've seen over the last 10 years - as the company grows, so will the employee perks.

A small company, family-like environment yet has the robust offerings of a larger contracting company

ProsUCS provides a small company, family-like environment yet has the robust offerings of a larger contracting company. This creates a great work culture. As a whole the organization is dedicated to ensuring that the customers receive the best possible service which is very satisfying at the end of the day to know one has contributed to a successful project. Management is flat and agile, quick to react and communicate, creative with solutions, and instills strong values that are positively demonstrated in management decisions. In addition, management continues to look to expand both company and personal/professional development such as training, certifications, etc and has taken on several initiatives as of late to encourage employee growth. Promotion from within is heavily stressed and upward movement from one contract to another is common so growth opportunities are present. Other employees and peers are phenomenal to work with. The work is challenging, stimulating, and creative.

ConsAs a small company grows it has experienced some growing pains, however, UCS is continually addressing areas such as new benefits, keeping healthcare low while maintaining comprehensive coverage, and strengthening 401(k) plans.

Excellent growth opportunity for hard working individuals

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsUniversal Consulting Services (UCS) really is a great place to work if you are able to get your foot in the door. It's still a relatively small company (At least it still holds on to that small company feel) that is continuing to grow and expand its customer base, so there is good opportunity for movement within the company as new positions are always opening. I've never had any issues with feeling left behind as the company has grown, and feel that everyone is treated fairly.

ConsNot necessarily a con for most people, but hard work and professionalism is expected of all UCS employees, and that isn't just lip service. I would say that if you aren't willing to put forth the effort to uphold that standard, you probably won't be happy.

Incredibly responsive, effective company to both clients and employees.

Satisfied Young Employee (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsA very flat organization compared to other consulting firms. Senior management make themselves available even to new/young employees for mentoring, consulting questions, and social events (happy hours, holiday parties, etc.). Most of my collegues in entry level/junior consultant positions don't have the access to Sr. Management that I do and likely won't for the next 10-15 years of their careers.

Very responsive to and supportive of employees. According to my knowledge, the company has never let any well performing employee go simply because their contract ended; always works to find a place for employees who want to stay on. Most large companies can't offer that.

Corporate (HQ) environment is a phenomenal work atmosphere; great blend of professionalism and intelligence coupled with light-heartedness and ability to have a good time. Even makes going to work on Mondays manageable... how many companies can offer that?

Pay is fair and very reasonable if you know what to ask for. Know what's fair for your skills/experience and make your work worth the pay and you'll be fairly compensated.

All said, it's the company culture that makes UCS stand out. If there's something lacking in your experience, figure out what you can do to change/create it. If your interests/passions can benefit the company in some way, they're almost certain to support you in it (advanced training, new projects, new domains, new regional areas).

ConsLike any company, individual job and manager have a big impact on one's experience. However, 99% of managers at UCS are great to work for and support their employees in every way possible.

As a relatively small company, doesn't have the resources of larger firms (tuition assistance, pro-bono/'sabatical'/international programs, etc.). However, as the firm continues to grow I'm confidenet leadership will begin to implement these types of services.

Some internal processes are become antiquated as the company grows. However, management has been on top of this, working to complete a number of new company-wide certifications (CMMI 2/3, ISO) and new processes to match growth. In reality these problems are consequences of tremendous growth, over 30% per year over the last 4 years, in an industry that over that same time period has continually talked about cut-backs and lay-offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow company resources. Tuitition assistance, sponsored volunteering (short term and long term), and overseas opportunities will be major draws for future employees, especially the younger generation, and will have a major influence on employee retention as salaries and benefits are generally level across the industry.

Fantastic Company

Director (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsExcellent communications from top to down. Company strives to promote within. If required, will bring in industry experts from outside. Excellent employee retention. Always lookout for the employees who are coming off of a project. Employees who started with the company 10-11 years ago are still here. Company has excellent salary packages, spot awards, and year end performance bonuses. Very mature HR staff who is always ready to help.

ConsGovernment contracting has limitations. This is true with any job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the summer picnics back.

Worked for Universal Consulting Services? Contribute to the Community!