Universal Consulting Services

Updated August 2, 2014
Updated August 2, 2014

3.6

Charu Dhumne

Respect is a two-way street that management does not understand

I worked at Universal Consulting Services

Pros

The only good thing is the benefits but I expect in the coming years that will become similar to all other companies.

Cons

The company mainly hires managers that have no IT experience. Some have no managerial experience at all. If you do work here, be aware that you be required to give respect but you will not get respect. Be aware that some managers like to take off during lunch (2 hour ones) and do outside activities that should not be done. There are some managers that think that drinking, while on the job, is more important than getting the job done. If you attend the Christmas party, be prepared to see a lot of drinking and behavior unbecoming of managers and senior leaders.

If you are going to be an IT company, then hire managers with real Information Technology experience not those with just a degree with it. It is sad when your tech savvy people have to completely brief managers on the planned technology prior to going into a briefing. You are only hurting the company by doing this. Saving a dollar by hiring someone without experience will not help the company in the long term but could potentially hurt it.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for! Excellent Benefits, Pay and Experience!

Cons

There are no cons. I was very satisfied working for this company

Hire more!

TBI SME

Former Employee - TBI SME  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - TBI SME in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great experience and opportunity to work with military medicine teams involved in PH and TBI

Cons

The PD is written vaguely; thus leaving much room for various interpretation. TBI topics only consumed half my work day divided with program and project representation unrelated to TBI.

Clearly write PDs to reflect employees expectations and improve written professional growth widgets for advancement from the SME level.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent company - horrible leadership

Former Employee - Former Employee  in  Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Frederick, MD

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

UCS has a lot of great employees who work hard. Compared with other companies the salary and benefits are pretty good. Great positions for people entering the workforce.

Cons

Promotion potential is horrible. The people that are promoted to managerial roles are a joke. They are the same people who come into the office late and leave early. They are not respected by their peers but are chosen based on their personal relationships with senior management. I saw too many hard working individuals that had more qualifications passed up for a manager role. I had to go elsewhere in order to reach my real potential.

Look at the qualified individuals you have working for you and put them in a position of leadership or they too will leave as the rest of us have.

My first job!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I graduated from a reputed University about 2 years ago. Based on my education the company hired me. Over the last two years I have been trained in technology, project management, and consulting. Now, I have confidence that I can do really well. Thanks to Universal Consulting.

Cons

Though there is no structured training program I learned about all aspects of the consulting business on the job.

We want to hear more from you.

Makes me feel like family!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Great salary, parties, benefits, career opportunities, amazing office, open minded owner.

Cons

Might get a bit un-orginized.

Bring summer picnics back

An OK place for an entry level position, don't plan on staying more than 1-2 years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are pretty good for a small consulting company in the DC area.

Aspects of ACTUAL federal consulting do exist at UCS, so take advantage of those even though the people around you aren't good representations of that.

Good work-life balance due to the federal nature of the company

Cons

Compensation is low compared other comsulting companies.

Actual work done isn't comparable to similar roles in other companies, and this is due to the project managers and other lead roles not competent in their work.

In regards to my last comment, project manager and senior roles are randomly given as opposed to given to deserving and knowledgeable employers

Promotion or advancement isn't structured or organized at all

No organization in project timelines and structure

WAY too much office gossip

Promote deserving employees, not just people that are free to take over a project.

Develop a structured/analytical way to evaluate your employees performance and mandate that it is used company wide.

Don't let good and smart employees walk away to similar companies just because you don't want to pay them

Greed is alive and well in the owners of this company

I worked at Universal Consulting Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company offers good benifits, many of the employees are professional, polite and good to work with.

Cons

Pay raises are minimal, bonuses are pitiful, by the time taxes finish with the bonus you have just enough to stop at McDonalds and that is supposed to be a sign of appreciation for your hard work. The company has grown but the owners seem to be getting stingy and greedy as they grow. From what I have been told by employees with the company longer, It is obvious that the moral of the company is going downhill and the owners just don’t care. There is little support from management for training or professional association. The company is changing for the worse.

Pay more attention to your people and their moral. After all they are the ones who make you the money.

Politics, drama, personality class, stinginess all in one.

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services

Pros

If your project manager is sensible, your experience will be at least ok. Human resources department is actually pretty competent.

Cons

False impression of expectations should be expected. Management will do anything to make sure they are never wrong. Leadership encouraging employees to express opinions is a way to gather tangible evidence to use against you. You need to be as careful as possible.

Look at it as a foot in the door, nothing more.

Current Employee - Junior Position
    Current Employee - Junior Position

I have been working at Universal Consulting Services

Pros

Complete freedom to work independently, with little guidance and no micro-managing.

Cons

No room for career advancement, you are simply moved laterally to another project doing administrative support work.
    No management interaction.
    If they didn't cut my paychecks, I wouldn't even remember I worked for them.

Find more challenging projects at a mid- to senior level so that employees can look forward to some sort of upward mobility.

Worked for Universal Consulting Services? Contribute to the Community!