Universal Electronics (CA)

www.uei.com

Universal Electronics (CA) Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014
Universal Electronics (CA) – Whitewater – “Floor”

Universal Electronics (CA) Chairman and CEO Paul D. Arling

Paul D. Arling

The workplace was clean, strict, and comfortable.

Technical Support (Former Employee) Twinsburg, OH

ProsThere was potential to grow with the company. Managers was the most helpful to me. Talked to customers on the phone daily.

ConsThe shift was horrible, and it was going to take a long time to get moved off of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Awesome!!!!!

Systems Administrative (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGreat work environment and colleuges

ConsIn IT dept the technical expoure was more to the US staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsOverall the company treats its employees well, with perks, nice accomadations and descent pay.

ConsIt really depends on who your manager is. If you happen to have a bad one than you will be treated poorly in your dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your subordinates know that they are appreciated by connecting with them. Make sure supervisors/managers are approachable. Train supervisors better, because if you have a supervisor that treats you respectfully then you will have a better team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A decent company to work for

Senior Accountant (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsDecent salary; will only get a bonus for non-managers if the company is doing well.
    The hours are actually not bad in the accounting department; some overtime during quarter end and year end but it's expected.
    People are friendly.
    Okay perks, some internal events and nice annual Christmas party.
    The CEO holds a quarterly all-hands meeting.

ConsBecause it's not a big company, growth opportunities are limited.
    Vacation sucks; 10 days to start, 15 days after 5th year, and 20 days after 10th year.
    Senior management = old boys' club.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

A little set in their ways but OK place to work

ProsStrong financials
    Dedicated employees
    Good benefits
    Bonus structure with regular payouts

ConsNot very willing to change
    Inflexible management
    Draconian financial monitoring
    Micromanagement at some Sr levels

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to make the environment more open and be willing to take more risk for future reward.

Not a great place to work, but an opportunity to work with latest technologies in consumer electronics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExposure to latest technologies in consumer electronics, especially universal remote controls

ConsUnhealthy work environment
    Lack of clear-cut direction in what one should work for

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more faith on DRs

Typical medium sized company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cypress, CA

ProsBenefits: low premium health insurance. profit sharing. company matched 401k to 7.5 % of salary
    People: except few, friendly environment

ConsNo real room for growth
    can be monotonous

Advice to Senior Managementtry cross training employees

Flexible work environment, but lacks quality engineers.

Senior Firmware Engineer (Current Employee) Cypress, CA

Pros* There is quite a bit of flexibility in how and where the work is done, as long as it is completed in a timely manner.
    * The pay is average/decent, although I can't speak for others at the company.

Cons* Managment is often unaware of the difference between "quality" of engineering versus "quantity". That is, they believe that throwing more engineers on a job, can get it done faster. However many of these engineers are right out of college and located thousands of miles away in India, which makes joint development projects difficult at best.
    * Amount of vacation time stinks, it takes 5 years with the company to get the 3rd week.

Advice to Senior Management* Look for quality engineers only, and when one is hired that can't cut the mustard, let them go.

convert career path

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Prosthis is a common company and can learn something, then can convert to other big company to get more salary.

Consthis is a small company for there are many operator needed there. Just like a factory, so need less engineers.

Advice to Senior Managementthis company should have more meeting to make employees to communicate their skills and know every one's progress and performance.

Sr. Mgmt is not focused on leveraging its Information Technology dept. to increase employee productivity ...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has excellent potential and has cornered the market in their niche. There are some very good people here.

ConsManagement is so focused on not spending money on I.T. that the state of the I.T. infrastructure is very sad. Bring a good supply duct tape and bailing wire.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop replacing I.T. Director's every year. Maybe you should look at the root cause here ...

Worked for Universal Electronics (CA)? Contribute to the Community!