Universal Health Care

Updated Nov 12, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

A.K. Desai

The CEO ran the company to the ground!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Health Care full-time

ProsThe pay was great, the people were fun to work with!

ConsCEO ran the company to the ground with his other executives

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so greedy

gone now

I have been working at Universal Health Care

Prosit was great while it lasted, good experiences.

ConsGone now. Pretty clearly, thats a con.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Authorization Team Member Service Rep

MSR (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Health Care full-time for more than a year

ProsThe environment was friendly, and had a substantial chance of advancement.

ConsToo much bureaucracy. no yearly raises

Advice to Senior Managementgive annual raises to employees

Paid good compared to other health insurance companies!!

I have been working at Universal Health Care full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood compensation and benefits (free Gym membership and free snacks). Great restaurants in Downtown St. Pete area (we had up to 15% dsct in some restaurants)

ConsIt was a very disorganized company. Some member services women directors were very rude, unethical and unprofessional. I never understood how they got promoted. Ohhh wait!!! I remembered now, you had to know people in order to get a promotion, yes I am not kidding!!

Advice to Senior ManagementToo bad that the founder and CEO Dr. Desai never heard any advice, now it's too late, company got shut down by Feds on March 28th.

Great workers, terrible management!

I have been working at Universal Health Care full-time for less than a year

ProsThose employees who in the trenches doing the day-to-day work are some of the nicest people I have ever worked with!

ConsSenior management is terrible at communicating and often intentionally misled their employees in an effort to gloss over or hide the financial and operational mismanagement of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the way and let the workers lead!

Mismanaged House of Cards

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Health Care full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome wonderful individuals work for the company. Downtown St. Petersburg location is close to restaurants, waterfront, etc..Lots of events and parades occur right outside the front door.

ConsMismanagement, greed and poor business decisions have doomed the company. No communication to employees from the executive leadership. Many talented staff were laid off, forced out, or had their career growth stinted due to the ugly internal politics. Everyone else is searching hard for a new job. Do yourself and favor and just cross off UHC as an option. Members, providers and staff unhappy. If the company finds new investors and stays open, wait 10 years until they turn it around and then apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementLawyer up and pray for forgiveness.

Oh My God..are you kidding??? Thankfully I am out!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Health Care full-time for less than a year

ProsNice building...I'm struggling to find something else positive..really cannot do it.

Cons1. Director and manager in my department were clueless! I worked in a clinical department and my manager, director and VP were non-clinical. Very focused on data, deadlines and "producing" but totally misunderstood "quality" in reporting.
2. Lack of integrity in direct, departmental leadership; I was lied to several times and witnessed calculated misuse of vendors/payments.
3. No interdepartmental communication and no corporate communication.
4. Little strategic planning, overall "knee-jerk" reactions to situations; if you are a planner or preemptive, this is the wrong employer for you!
5. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians.
6. I have witnessed, first hand, the CEO calling subordinates "liars" in staff meetings of hundreds of employees!
7. The company is a "poor performing health plan" for 3+ years; they are focused on bringing up the star rating on paper, but cannot connect performing better for their members. They have more critical action plans from regulatory agencies than I ever knew was possible for an agency regulated by the government, and yet, they still remain open...go figure!

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiring "warm bodies that look good on paper" for your key positions; I was not qualified to be in the position I was placed in and I would have never accepted the job! I was hired for a staff position, but quickly found out I would be a project manager. Having been encouraged to "try it until my 3 month eval" which never came, I wondered just how low the companies expectations were.

Pays well but a bit disorganized

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Health Care full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay compared to other companies, benefits are ok but it does include free Gym Membership thru a program that allows you to go to multiple gyms, offers free snacks.

ConsThis company has always fixed problems with patches never taking the root cause cause to solve it. A lot of disorganized departments, upper management in touch with staff but don;t listen to suggestions until problems arise.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep down from the cloud and listen to the daily workers who suggest great ideas in your town hall but they are never addressed properly only after CMS slaps you in the face.

Good place for initial training, average career expectancy = 1 year; 3 yrs+ is an expiration stamp

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Health Care

Prosopportunity to work in multiple projects/departments to gain experience quickly

Consno work/life balance
promise internal promotion - but hire externally first
poor work/life balance
salaried = 60+ hours weekly
atmosphere of fear/stress
Sales department is a revolving door

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should consider improved people management skills - if senior management did not fear for their jobs they would be honest and you could actually resolve problems in place of generating more
Company has trouble paying claims properly - pay claims = satisfied providers = better/more providers = better served membership and higher enrollment/retention

Worked for Universal Health Care? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Universal Health Care reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Universal Health Care CEO A.K. Desai. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Universal Health Care employees.