Universal Health Care

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014

1.8

A.K. Desai

The CEO ran the company to the ground!

Pros

The pay was great, the people were fun to work with!

Cons

CEO ran the company to the ground with his other executives

Don't be so greedy

I Wouldn't Reccommend to My Worst Enemy

Current Employee - CNA  in  Concord, NC
    Current Employee - CNA in Concord, NC

Pros

Some of the residents are really cute and remind you of your favorite Grandparent

Cons

Everything is old and/or broken. They spend more money on making it look safe then they actually spend on making it safe. They still have crank beds and the mechanical beds don't work most of the time so you have to move the cords around till you get some power and hope you don't get fried. The pay is not competitive for this field and there is no room for growth unless you know someone or are related to someone.

Give employees something to be motivated about. There is no excitement or morale boost going on. When you come in there is nothing to look forward to but being overworked,underpaid,underappreciated and beat up by the residents.

gone now

Pros

it was great while it lasted, good experiences.

Cons

Gone now. Pretty clearly, thats a con.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Authorization Team Member Service Rep

Former Employee - Msr  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Msr in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

The environment was friendly, and had a substantial chance of advancement.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy. no yearly raises

give annual raises to employees

Paid good compared to other health insurance companies!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Good compensation and benefits (free Gym membership and free snacks). Great restaurants in Downtown St. Pete area (we had up to 15% dsct in some restaurants)

Cons

It was a very disorganized company. Some member services women directors were very rude, unethical and unprofessional. I never understood how they got promoted. Ohhh wait!!! I remembered now, you had to know people in order to get a promotion, yes I am not kidding!!

Too bad that the founder and CEO Dr. Desai never heard any advice, now it's too late, company got shut down by Feds on March 28th.

Great workers, terrible management!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Those employees who in the trenches doing the day-to-day work are some of the nicest people I have ever worked with!

Cons

Senior management is terrible at communicating and often intentionally misled their employees in an effort to gloss over or hide the financial and operational mismanagement of the company.

Get out of the way and let the workers lead!

Mismanaged House of Cards

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

Some wonderful individuals work for the company. Downtown St. Petersburg location is close to restaurants, waterfront, etc..Lots of events and parades occur right outside the front door.

Cons

Mismanagement, greed and poor business decisions have doomed the company. No communication to employees from the executive leadership. Many talented staff were laid off, forced out, or had their career growth stinted due to the ugly internal politics. Everyone else is searching hard for a new job. Do yourself and favor and just cross off UHC as an option. Members, providers and staff unhappy. If the company finds new investors and stays open, wait 10 years until they turn it around and then apply.

Lawyer up and pray for forgiveness.

Oh My God..are you kidding??? Thankfully I am out!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Nice building...I'm struggling to find something else positive..really cannot do it.

Cons

1. Director and manager in my department were clueless! I worked in a clinical department and my manager, director and VP were non-clinical. Very focused on data, deadlines and "producing" but totally misunderstood "quality" in reporting.
    2. Lack of integrity in direct, departmental leadership; I was lied to several times and witnessed calculated misuse of vendors/payments.
    3. No interdepartmental communication and no corporate communication.
    4. Little strategic planning, overall "knee-jerk" reactions to situations; if you are a planner or preemptive, this is the wrong employer for you!
    5. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians.
    6. I have witnessed, first hand, the CEO calling subordinates "liars" in staff meetings of hundreds of employees!
    7. The company is a "poor performing health plan" for 3+ years; they are focused on bringing up the star rating on paper, but cannot connect performing better for their members. They have more critical action plans from regulatory agencies than I ever knew was possible for an agency regulated by the government, and yet, they still remain open...go figure!

Quit hiring "warm bodies that look good on paper" for your key positions; I was not qualified to be in the position I was placed in and I would have never accepted the job! I was hired for a staff position, but quickly found out I would be a project manager. Having been encouraged to "try it until my 3 month eval" which never came, I wondered just how low the companies expectations were.

Pays well but a bit disorganized

Current Employee - Management  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Management in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Great pay compared to other companies, benefits are ok but it does include free Gym Membership thru a program that allows you to go to multiple gyms, offers free snacks.

Cons

This company has always fixed problems with patches never taking the root cause cause to solve it. A lot of disorganized departments, upper management in touch with staff but don;t listen to suggestions until problems arise.

Step down from the cloud and listen to the daily workers who suggest great ideas in your town hall but they are never addressed properly only after CMS slaps you in the face.

Good place for initial training, average career expectancy = 1 year; 3 yrs+ is an expiration stamp

Former Employee - Manager  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

opportunity to work in multiple projects/departments to gain experience quickly

Cons

no work/life balance
    promise internal promotion - but hire externally first
    poor work/life balance
    salaried = 60+ hours weekly
    atmosphere of fear/stress
    Sales department is a revolving door

CEO should consider improved people management skills - if senior management did not fear for their jobs they would be honest and you could actually resolve problems in place of generating more
    Company has trouble paying claims properly - pay claims = satisfied providers = better/more providers = better served membership and higher enrollment/retention

Worked for Universal Health Care? Contribute to the Community!