Universal Health Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

Universal Health Services Chairman, President, and CEO Alan B. Miller

Alan B. Miller

Pros
  • good pay good benefits good perks(in 3 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, and the opportunity to work with some of the most challenging behavioral disorders in children and adolescents(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate; high complaint rate from residents(in 4 reviews)

• Patient care and employee satisfaction distant 3rd and 4th(in 4 reviews)

Information Technology

ProsFast paced challenging environment. Opportunity for growth and increased knowledge.

ConsMale focused environment. Little opportunity for women to be advanced into senior management roles. Personal responsibility for actions is not a focus. High turnover rate. Young immature staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider keeping employees engaged with the organization by making it a better place to work and not by making promises of promotion.

UHS management is improving the work environment at this time

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wildomar, CA

ProsBeginning to recognize the areas in need of improvement.

ConsSome areas of improvement have languished for an extended period of time

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to appreciate your employees and allow them a voice. Look for ways to improve the patient experience. Upgrade the facility when able and present a more professional image to our community. The area of Nursing care needs to improve. Hire more CNAs if possible otherwise re-train the ones we have.

Good job that you can learn a lot from!

Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee)

ProsThere is always advancement opportunities for those who have a good work ethic, a quick learner, being able to multi-task and always being a hands on person. Average pay but a good overall compensation plan after considering all the elements.

ConsThere is always an expectation for your hospital to have a certain % of growth each year no matter what. There will be a time where a cap will be reached because of a number of different reasons but it is understandable for a for-profit company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways try and keep your best employees happy by recognizing their hard work and actually rewarding them for it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All about profit not patient care

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Maumee, OH

ProsRapid turnover with low level jobs like mental health techs and nurses jobs opening up all the time when people leave or get fired.

ConsProfit and risk management are priorities 1 and 2. Patient care and employee satisfaction distant 3rd and 4th. The best word to describe your day is "fear." Fear of always getting fired. Everyone looks scared. Administration doesn't care about employee morale. Even the doctors are not safe. Administration constantly hounding them to increase patient length of stay when the patient doesn't need to be there anymore. It's kind of sickening and morally perverse. Patients beg to leave and can't until insurance is bled dry. Administration shamelessly promotes each other to made up and new positions to get salary increases. You're not going to advance in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your priorities straight. Yes you can make a profit and provide good patient care. Yes employee morale does matter.

WONDERFUL EXPIRENCE

LMHT/Training Coordinator (Current Employee) Denton, TX

ProsGreat people working there. Striving to make each patients experience wonderful. Great team work as a whole .

ConsMore job opputunities in the facility

Stressful. Low pay.

ProsYou can easily get overtime. That's the only real way to make good $. Insurance. PTO. Friendly coworkers.

ConsStressful. Low pay. No advancement. Dead end. Can't keep staff. Units understaffed presents safety issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise wages.

dead end job

Prosthey hire great people, that's about it.

Consno chance of advancement, constantly changing policies. don't listen to direct care staff. constant turnover.

went from really good to bad

Appeals (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

Prosthe work was very enjoyable

Consthe employees are very unprofessional

Advice to Senior Managementthe ceo needs to know whats happening in the units

I stayed too long, should have pursued other avenues much sooner.

Department Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFairly decent benefits and a consistent paycheck--that's about it.

ConsToxic work environment, poor management, little regard for employees. Constantly under review by state and federal regulatory agencies. Despite 10 different CEOs over a period of just four years at the Kansas City facility, UHS get can't seem to get it right. CMS has placed them on a ninety day decertification track more than once.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue UHS, either put some serious resources behind your Kansas City facility or close it. Your reputation in the behavioral health community is laughable.

Focus on profit margins over quality

ProsCompetitive salary. The number of health care professionals (vs finance professionals) at the corporate office is growing, which is an attempt to redirect the focus of the company on the importance of population health management rather than solely hospital operations management.

ConsThe company is short-sighted on profits and willing to compromise care to achieve the needs of Wall Street. Corporate management has deferred to the expertise of physicians practicing within the hospitals, rather than an interdisciplinary approach to patient care, which is leading to significant profit wasting, conflict with the supporting staff and low employee morale. Values are merely listed on the employee brochure, but are not woven into the culture or expectations of employees. The HR focus is disproportionately in favor of recruitment rather than retention and employee development. Turnover amongst the C-suite executives at the hospitals as well as at the corporate office create much disruption to the success of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport quality care initiatives focused on improving health outcomes and the money will follow - we no longer live in 1975, and the business model should evolve accordingly.

Worked for Universal Health Services? Contribute to the Community!