Universal Health Services Reviews

100 reviews filtered by
2.5
Universal Health Services Chairman, President, and CEO Alan B. Miller
Alan B. Miller

Pros
  • provided good benefits and other pleasant positives for job (in 5 reviews)

• non management personnel are awesome- team work and supportive (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Non existent communication, terrible patient care, dangerous staffing ratios (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate; high complaint rate from residents (in 4 reviews)

1. An ok job for short term

Current Employee - CNA/HHA
    Current Employee - CNA/HHA

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros

A good job to get your foot in the health care door

Cons

Pay could be better

Come up with more incentives for employees

2. Stability and longevity - but a short upward ladder

Former Employee - Associate Accountant
    Former Employee - Associate Accountant

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time

Pros

- Stable place of work
    - encourage change in certain processes that would increase productivity without losing accuracy
    - many processes are already in place and fully implemented - but allow process improvement
    - Strong managers, who know the month-end close processes very well - great place for someone "green" and need a strong foundation.

Cons

- not many opportunities for growth in the financial area of the company; but the operational side (i.e. hospital operations) have many opportunities
    - due to the stable employment, positions do not usually come available unless someone relocates, moves away, retires, or dies (seriously... people stay around a LONG time)

- encourage more opportunities for management education for those who are not managers, but may show interest in becoming one in the future
    - more employee appreciation events

3. The company has a clear understanding of the behavioral health industry and the customer demographics within the area.

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros

The offices are located in KOP allowing for a central commute.

Cons

Doesn't take in consideration the hazards of driving in that area.

Need to allow more employees to telecommute.

5. Moving on up

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, ability to move up, education valued

Cons

Long hours, poor management skills, lacking common sense

Absolutely disgraceful

Former Employee - Staff RN
    Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at Universal Health Services

Pros

Not much. My manager was a decent person but it went as far as following what the terrible CEOS said, which was profit before care

Cons

No support from management.
    Unsafe patient assignments.
    High turnover (like 1 employee per month).
    Disrespectful management.
    Insulting pay (19/hr for RN-Bsn)
    Unrealistic workload (30 acute care psych patients to 1 nurse, preparing and passing medications to all, pulling mess out of a bin and having to label envelopes and prepare and pass for 30 while taking admissions, covering breaks, discharges, taking non-stop faxes from assessment, drawing blood, assessment, ect).
    Unprofessional management and staff with loads of drama.
    Money over quality of care.

I can't believe what they are allowed to operate and treat people. It is disgusting what they do to people's lives and careers.

7. Not supportive or their nurses

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros

Good benefits, nice coworkers. Compensation is fair. Training is good.

Cons

Management. High turnover. Extremely high work load

Take better care of your nurses.

8. Positive.

Current Employee - Behavior Counseling Technician in Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Behavior Counseling Technician in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros

As much OT as you can stand at times. Most staff as team players. Management has your back if you are professional, more so if you demonstrate skill and knowledge in your are of expertise.

Cons

- Pay
    - Sometimes organization and communication between staff and supervisors.

Focus more on hiring staff/ employees who are skilled (more than five years of experience) or who are college educated with some experience in the field.

9. Ok place to work

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros

Benefits are ok. Supportive DON, supervisors and manager. Great co workers

Cons

Not appreciated by upper management, low pay, only get 3 paid holidays, all pt accepted if census is low reguardless of the acuity, or ability to manage them correctly, little reguard for staff safety.

Pay more attention to what your staff is telling you. Accept suggestions and make an effort to institute changes.

10. Drink The UHS Kool-Aid or Else…..

Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer
    Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They pay for your vehicle payment, insurance and benefits are good, stock options awarded are nice even if you did not meet budget (EBITDA). This does not mean that their salary at the CEO level is comparable to other companies. Other comp. are paying $30-$60k more.

They are doing well financially. Been around for 35 plus years and know how to make $ (stock quote is above 110 now).

Cons

They manage you on budget and FTE's like it was the end of the world. Every conversation with leaders is about filling beds at every cost even if you can't mange them = increased census, not patient care. Thus, ethics are in question.

Clinical and Risk folks don't help, they give you more action plans then the federal govt. Horrible model of support. Just ties your team & your time up.

Last, but not least, indoctrination and micro-management at Corp level. If you do not drink the UHS “kool-aid” your toast. In other words, you have to do exactly what they say, or they consider you a "problem," or "rogue" and they will walk you out (eventually). So, get in line. If top corp likes to keep their friends around and if you are friends with top dogs, then you are fine.

Stop recognizing the CEO's/Managing Directors (at the Annual CEO conf.) for making 30-40% EBITDA. It's not us/them. Some of it is luck, market changes, the hospital location, how much you have invested in the op, rates, cost savings, set budget by CFO and VP. More to the point, stop putting the ones at the people who they employ that do the WORK!

Complete analysis and then overhaul of all operation practices, clinical practices, risk practices, leadership mentorship. It starts and ends with the way "field leaders" are treated. That culture trickles down to staff retention and people being loyal - a culture of caring about patients, not just your 'bottom line.'

Take care of your leaders at the CEO level. Get to know your people and give people a choice on working in the company and where. Direct quote from a leader of UHS - "its not about getting people on the bus and in the right seat, it's about getting the wrong people off the bus."

11. Toxic, depressing environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was kinda okay? One time, they gave us M&M's. That's about it. I really can't think of much else.

Cons

Today, many companies are embracing "people first" policies to ensure their employees are happy with their jobs. However, UHS has stubbornly dug their heels into the ground and turned their back on things such as working remotely, casual dress or incentives for good workers.

I still remember the day the VP told me "we never close, regardless of snow" in a meeting. We all looked at our measly PTO counts and wandered if we would need to wrap our cars around trees this winter or give up vacation time to keep our jobs. (P.S the execs can just work at home...)

This is a company who doesn't think your family or feelings come first. Work does. Your grey cubicle does. When there is a company meeting and not enough chairs...they don't care if you need to stand for 2 hours. When there isn't enough parking for employees, you are expected to park illegally and hope no one hits your car because they don't want to spend the money to extend the lot.

One time a water main broke and rather than sending everyone home, no one was allowed to go to the bathroom for over 2 hours. We had to stay at work.

Some of these things are again the U.S. Dept of Labor but reaching into their pockets to fix them just feels like too much I suppose.

People in the buildings are depressed...super sad vibe here! Please, please, please don't work for UHS!

It's gonna cost you more to keep replacing your employees/re-training them because they keep quitting.