Universal Health Services Reviews

Reset
2.8
Universal Health Services Chairman, President, and CEO Alan B. Miller
Alan B. Miller

Pros
  • provided good benefits and other pleasant positives for job (in 5 reviews)

• Coworkers, team work, money, patients (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of patient care but high focus on patient balance (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate; high complaint rate from residents (in 4 reviews)

1. Review after 6 years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is stable, has good benefits overall and has allowed me the ability to grow professionally without having to sacrifice a full home and family life.

Cons

Work from home/remotely opportunities seem to be a missed opportunity for UHS, relative to todays corporate environment and the technologies available to make it feasible. This is one of the places that the stability mentioned in my "Pros" list, is also a point of hindrance. The wheels of change seem slow to move here.

Advice to Management

Consider allowing for more work from home arrangements for the employees whose position would support it. Addressing the concerns of the business (accountability, productivity) would be a more proactive approach than failing to embrace this desirable benefit.

2. This Hospital is TOXIC!

Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Kingwood, TX
    Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky, your peers will possess the common sense and integrity necessary to help make up for the lack of ethical standards exhibited by so called "leaders..."

Cons

Where to begin...? -Complete disregard for staff safety and patient well-being. -Staffing to census rather than patient needs. -UHS is rotten from the top down, but will quickly fire those on the bottom to save their own skin. -Ethics are a sad joke around here. Doctors will withhold the proper psychiatric and medical treatment necessary in order to maximize the stay of the patients. Nursing supervisors and staff comply in fear if their livelihoods. After all, empty beds = zero profit. -injured on the job? Get ready to be manipulated into begging your doctor to medically clear you to return to work. There's promise of a contingency for such an event (paid time off, fmla), but loss prevention and HR are very skilled at saving UHS money, and will find creative ways to disqualify you from due rehabilitative methods. -Substandard wages.

Advice to Management

The wheels are falling off here at Kingwood Pines! It's difficult to see where the disconnect is from my level (Mental Health Technician), whether the fault lies with the leadership of our location or with UHS as a whole. What IS clear to me is that regardless of where the fault lies, UHS must conduct a reevaluation of core competencies and standards! This begins at the top! Satisfaction of the shareholders and profitability should never come before the well-being of both your patients and staff. Staffing to census is dangerous. Let me repeat that... STAFFING TO CENSUS IS DANGEROUS!!! In regards to ethical standards, UHS has allowed their Doctors and other staff to line their own pockets at the cost of people's psychiatric needs. Let me simplify this... We took money to do a job...and we did the job half-assed. For the unethical treatment of our patients, whether it be the fault of a greedy doctor or the shortcomings of spineless nursing staff, I squarely hold UHS responsible. How do you not know what's going on in your own hospital?

3. Risk Management

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros

Good location and friendly department

Cons

Minimal raises and subpar benefits

Advice to Management

If the company is doing so well, why are raises only 1-2%???

Moving and shaking!

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros

There is opportunity for career growth and unlike many Cerner clients, UHS doesn't silo you within one area of expertise with the clinical team. I've had the opportunity in the last 3 years to learn FirstNet build, CareNet, PowerChart Maternity, CCL and PowerInsight. UHS is a front running company when it comes to innovation in the Cerner EMR space and the speed with which we move doesn't leave room to stagnate in your career. Not to mention most Cerner clients won't hire new graduates or those who have no Cerner experience. UHS sees this as an opportunity and does just that--they bring in fresh talent with little to no experience but have the desire to be a part of something big and they teach them the things they need to know about workflow, build, etc.

Cons

The salary range seems to be a bit below the average, however, the opportunity to obtain knowledge and gain experience especially with the innovation can be considered to some an additional value not achieved financially.

Advice to Management

I can't speak for all management but my leadership ROCKS!

A fun and busy place to work

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of collaboration between the various build and support teams. Staff are fun, helpful and always open to questions or requests. Management is open to suggestions and questions. They work hard to balance work and life for the employees.

Cons

The compensation could be a better, but who ever really gets paid what they think they are worth.

Review after nearly 8 years at UHS

Current Employee - IT Systems Architect and Administrator in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros

UHS is a place that rewards hard work and diligence. We are all in this for the long haul! UHS allows people with minimal experience to prove themselves and grow from there. I have been privileged to work with many good people and learn a lot of new things while being able to provide for my family. I was promoted 3 times and provided a lateral job move opportunity internally and I've been pleased to be able to contribute to the many projects completed and underway.

Cons

Work from home options are on hold. Several good people have left because other places are more flexible in these policies.

Advice to Management

Keep asking employees what they need to exceed in their job, listen, and implement those solutions.

8. Supportive Coworkers/Management

Current Employee - Marketing Department Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Department Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros

In the corporate marketing department, I have found that all of my coworkers are very supportive. When I have a question or need help getting something done I have no trouble getting answers and/or help. Additionally, the work at UHS is rewarding because I know that the end goal of everything I do is to help a patient get better.

Cons

None! This is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing in the Marketing department.

9. Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Staff RN in New Kent, VA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in New Kent, VA

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros

Good base pay with good shift differentials

Cons

Mandatory overtime and poor management-staff relationships

Advice to Management

Improve staff morale to keep staff from quitting

10. Food Services

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team Fair pay Impactful service with clients Opportunities for advancement Supportive CEO and management Flexibility with schedule

Cons

Increased staffing could improve support for client needs At times facility slow to make capital improvements

Advice to Management

None

11. Program Coodinator ClinicaL

I worked at Universal Health Services

Pros

patient care is always the priority

Cons

long hours and very demanding work

Advice to Management

more personnel is always appreciated

RSS Feed </> Embed