Universal Health Services

Updated January 27, 2015
2.6

Universal Health Services Chairman, President, and CEO Alan B. Miller
Alan B. Miller

Pros
  • provided good benefits and other pleasant positives for job (in 5 reviews)

• non management personnel are awesome- team work and supportive (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Non existent communication, terrible patient care, dangerous staffing ratios (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate; high complaint rate from residents (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

This place is swarming with sociopaths

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The health insurance is really good, which should be expected since this is a corporation of hospitals. The pay was decent for the area and my profession.

Cons

This organization has a gross lack of regard for their patients and employees. The only thing this company is concerned with is making money for their stockholders. The employees who work here are very unprofessional and management is shockingly disrespectful to their employees. The good employees leave here as quickly as they can. This company fosters a work environment that is hostile and abusive towards employees. They work their employees to the bone. If you get vacation, you can't actually take it when you want, because they want you to take off when their census is low so their numbers will look good. The turnover is really high. They require you to give a 30 day notice if you leave, because they have such a hard time keeping employees. Complaints are ignored and people who speak up when there is wrong doing are fired.

Fire all of your current managers and hire new ones. The CEO needs to take a pay cut. In 2013, Alan Miller made 13.2 million dollars.

The Worst Company I've Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Clerical in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Clerical in Champaign, IL

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of many pros in the slightest. I had some excellent people in my life--not the best at their jobs by any stretch of the imagination, but they were good people.

Oh wait--the only pro I see is that I learned how much I can handle, as my position was one fit for four people.

Cons

Absolutely disregarded as a human being. The worst company culture, CEO is a nightmare.

A parade of incompetence

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time

Pros

Some very nice dedicated lower level co-workers who truly care for the patient's needs.
    There's a free lunch.

Cons

Highly stressful.
    Chronically understaffed.
    No room to promote internally.
    No caring for employees concerns.
    Best employees are overworked and given grief while poor employees are allowed to do whatever they seem to spend their time with.
    Lack of patient care but high focus on patient balance.
    Stunningly incompetent management who repeats same mistake over and over.

Begin to trust your employees.

Medical Biller

Current Employee - Clerical Position in Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Clerical Position in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable company, average benefit package, decent software programs, good location in Murrieta, Calif

Cons

Exploitation of employees to the point of abuse, minimum hourly wage, antiquated managers with very poor people skills, very stressful work environment, they manage by intimidation, staff is given more work than one employee can complete, no advancement opportunities, no appreciation by management, lack of training, poor management communication, sweat shop strategy.

Stop the abuse of your people

A horrible nightmare daily! Lowell Treatment Center, Lowell MA

I worked at Universal Health Services

Pros

Lower level employees were very nice people. Other than that there are no positive words to describe this criminal operation.

Cons

Unsafe, understaffed, no security, they care only about filling beds and profit, dirty, old building falling apart, no structure, 1 group a day and the rest of the time it was like a group of caged animals in prison like conditions with nothing to do, patients sleep majority of the time they are there because there is nothing else for them to do. The most un therapeutic place I could ever imagine. Psychiatrists working there are crazier than the patients and are completely unethical, the patients are not valued and have no say in their treatments. It is beyond disgusting! They accept high acuity patients and do not have the medical experience or means to care for them safely but accept them regardless just to fill a bed. Patients safety and health is at risk, as well as staff safety every single shift. Nurses put their licenses on the line daily working there, no support, upper management could care less about every single problem reported, nothing gets resolved or changed, overall just the most horrible, unsafe, unethical place I have ever seen.

Stop this horror show! Be human and start making changes to make this facility at the least a humane, clean, and safe place for patients and staff.

It was rewarding benefits-wise.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great (PTO, ELB, health, dental, etc). In class training was good. Position was particularly an everyday challenge which I liked, not the same old routine over and over. I generally got along with everyone there. Service Excellence training was wired into everyone that worked there.

Cons

Pay does not match your workload. Managers like to pass along tasks rather than learn and show us on the floor. PTO was a battle to take even though it was your personal time off.

Time-off needs to be less strict and management needs to realize that us floor people are not robots.

Reactive vs being a true leader in the world of healthcare from an Acute perspective.

I worked at Universal Health Services

Pros

Decent benefits. Several good leaders. Attempting to change culture to a quality driven organization.

Cons

Promote "yes men" and folks who just are content and stay.
    Do not fulfill promises
    Micromanagement from the top level, including C suite
    Professional accomplishments are overshadowed by personal feelings that are never based on facts.

Grow your talent in house better. Develop leaders by creating actual plans that have real actionable goals. Think about the patients more than the bottom line.

Night shift

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Team environment, great benefits, and opportunities for overtime

Cons

Very little help, when census drops and there is high acuity there is no consideration for staffing

staff by acuity

Good company, lots of opportunity for employment in Las Vegas area

Current Employee - Staff RN in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benifits, good learning experience for most.

Cons

This is not a good place for new grads. Please go to acute care hospital first for a year. Management tends to try to cater to the newer nurses, even though those hired for their experience, are over looked for supervisory positions.

Only cares about the bottom line (money and filling beds) and not the employee.

Current Employee - Liaison
    Current Employee - Liaison

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I honestly can just say it's a job.

Cons

Benefits are horrible and constantly get cut. Only care about filling beds and how to profit from whose in them.

You should focus more on your employees. Happier work environment and perks make for better workers; therefore a better company. Look at Google.

Increase salaries to be competitive with your competition.