Universal Music Publishing

David Renzer

Got me a job!

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Good/friendly people with great connections. Keeping in touch with past co-workers got me a job at another great music company affiliated with UMG.

Cons

Slow to adjust to quickly changing music industry

Keep it up!

Royalties department is emotionally sterile.

Former Employee - Royalties Clerk  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Royalties Clerk in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Within the music industry and a big name at that. Good resume padding.

Cons

Dry and unfriendly office culture. Very inflexible mangers that are rude and cold.

For an entertainment company, there could be far more perks and a more open office culture. The royalties managers are rude and condescending.

Okay...Could be more organized

Pros

Senior management is somewhat accessible, but there are still very knowledgeable assistants and managers to assist. As an intern, I made myself known to many department heads and made great connections. The office is large, but if you utilize your people skills you can make great connections!

Cons

Separation of departments
    Separation of management
    There is opportunity for employment, but like many jobs in the industry it's greatly dependent on who you know at UMPG.

Be more accessible.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A bank that happens to be dealing in the currency of songwriting

Current Employee - Assistant  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

The benefits package is pretty incredible, and the occasional perks (concert tickets, company parties, etc) are fun. Depending on what department you work in, you can be exposed to way more "real" music business than others.

Cons

There is little to no chance for growth - if you start as an assistant, you will most likely leave as an assistant. In the past 6 months, a somewhat scary number of assistants, coordinators, etc have left the company as they realize there's no where to go but out the door. The compensation is low for the music business, which is saying a lot.

Make sure that new employees are trained, but also make sure each department knows what its greater purpose is, and how it fits in with other departments. Hire people who actually want to be here, and fire/lay off those that don't. Complacency and comfort has made his company really ....sluggish, for lack of a better term. The creative department needs to be purged and new, fresh talent should be brought in.

laid-back atmosphere, but no career development

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

laid-back, easy-going, good people
    opportunity to interact with clients, even at the lowest levels (good sales/licensing experience)

Cons

low pay
    no career development
    work is tedious, and lacks fun environment of a typical music biz job

The top of the class as far as music publishing companies go. Universal Music Publishing Group can leverage their scale

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Fantastic Senior Management and Leadership, Great Location

Universal Music Publishing Group manages to leverage its scale whilst providing individualized attention to writers and a small company feel.

Cons

Job mobility, compensation, little to no promotions from within, unsure how to keep up with a changing world / industry / etc. The senior executives are fantastic - smart and sharp - but they aren't as in touch with the rapidly changing tastes and skills of a rapidly changing and more techonologically focused world.

Producer

Current Employee - Songwriter  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Songwriter in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Music industry experience
    networking opportunities
    one of the top publishing companies
    excellent A&R's
    Very hands on with their songwriters and producers

Cons

you have to hungry because no one is going to put the work in for you even being signed to this company

Excellent company

Communication is key

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Benefits, pay and SOME people are great. Would not suggest this job if you do not like being alone.

Cons

Location of the office is horrible to get in or out of, unless you live close by (which is rare). Break areas... sitting outside is great, but what if it rains? No one tells anyone what is going on.. leaving a lot of unanswered questions. For new employees this is scary and unhelpful. Training needs work, its more of a "figure it out" mentality.

Make sure to keep your employees busy, not looking for work. Communicate to all levels, not just your department.

The company faces some very real struggles, and is not well situated to face them

Current Employee - Associate Director, Music Clearance  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director, Music Clearance in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

UMPG has a great family of coworkers. The staff is probably one of the most supportive groups I've worked in.

Cons

We're a subsidiary of our sister label group. They have different, and sometimes competing agendas, so its hard to achieve success when your parent company prevents you from doing so.

More internal dialogue is needed. The staff on the front lines have ideas about ways to streamline processes, but senior management isn't accessible and/or doesn't listen. We also need to stop using cost savings as our sole form of motivation (i.e. driver of our compensation packages). Sometimes money has to be spent to make more money. Compensation packages should be structured revenue generation, profit margin, market share, or some other positive benchmark rather than negative benchmark (i.e. how much cost we can cut).

Felt extremely unappreciated for the amount of work I was producing.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

The health benefits, and a handful of people are great.

Cons

My former managers and supervisors would expect a great amount of work to get done in a day, when it's absolutely impossible considering all the different job duties I had. I was usually given high priority projects, told to basically ignore my other responsibilities, and then get reprimanded for being so behind on my usual job duties. I feel like they didn't know how to explain things very well when giving new work to employees.

Give the new people more explanation of what you expect and set actual deadlines and not just say "we'll see where you get". (as I was often told).

Worked for Universal Music Publishing? Contribute to the Community!