Universal Music Publishing

3.2

David Renzer

UMPG Intern Review

I worked at Universal Music Publishing

Pros

Great leadership. Very hands on. Excellent feedback when editing and revising memoranda.

Cons

Great culture., people were friendly and helpful.

The Wheel.......

Current Employee - Artist in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Artist in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Universal Music Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Better compensation is on the horizon.

Cons

Im born a musician,singer & lover of the fine arts that God has blessed.My life is beyond anything I could have ever imagined.His mercy and grace has been abundant.As life unfolds,The fabric of our reality is sometimes other than what we expect it to be.Encountering small perspectives grown out of small experiences right now.Learning to except people,situations for who and what they are.Change will always come.LIFE

Open discussion is important for both employee and employer.Non-Verbal leadership based on expectation does not always work.Adaptation to progressive thinking can perhaps lend a look into the future.

Great benefits, great department, poor executive management

I worked at Universal Music Publishing (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, and depending on the department, mid-level management is great. My department was like a family, and supervisors were very accommodating as long as you put in the work and the hours.

Cons

Executive management really stretched us thin. Lay-offs were always justified by a "database" that would be doing the work that employees were doing, but the work would often be divided up amongst other employees. Also, there is very little opportunity to move up, so there was very little motivation to put in extra work.

Royalties department is emotionally sterile.

Former Employee - Royalties Clerk in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Royalties Clerk in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Universal Music Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Within the music industry and a big name at that. Good resume padding.

Cons

Dry and unfriendly office culture. Very inflexible mangers that are rude and cold.

For an entertainment company, there could be far more perks and a more open office culture. The royalties managers are rude and condescending.

Okay...Could be more organized

I worked at Universal Music Publishing as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Senior management is somewhat accessible, but there are still very knowledgeable assistants and managers to assist. As an intern, I made myself known to many department heads and made great connections. The office is large, but if you utilize your people skills you can make great connections!

Cons

Separation of departments
    Separation of management
    There is opportunity for employment, but like many jobs in the industry it's greatly dependent on who you know at UMPG.

Be more accessible.

A bank that happens to be dealing in the currency of songwriting

Current Employee - Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Universal Music Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits package is pretty incredible, and the occasional perks (concert tickets, company parties, etc) are fun. Depending on what department you work in, you can be exposed to way more "real" music business than others.

Cons

There is little to no chance for growth - if you start as an assistant, you will most likely leave as an assistant. In the past 6 months, a somewhat scary number of assistants, coordinators, etc have left the company as they realize there's no where to go but out the door. The compensation is low for the music business, which is saying a lot.

Make sure that new employees are trained, but also make sure each department knows what its greater purpose is, and how it fits in with other departments. Hire people who actually want to be here, and fire/lay off those that don't. Complacency and comfort has made his company really ....sluggish, for lack of a better term. The creative department needs to be purged and new, fresh talent should be brought in.

laid-back atmosphere, but no career development

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Universal Music Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

laid-back, easy-going, good people
    opportunity to interact with clients, even at the lowest levels (good sales/licensing experience)

Cons

low pay
    no career development
    work is tedious, and lacks fun environment of a typical music biz job

The top of the class as far as music publishing companies go. Universal Music Publishing Group can leverage their scale

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Universal Music Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic Senior Management and Leadership, Great Location

Universal Music Publishing Group manages to leverage its scale whilst providing individualized attention to writers and a small company feel.

Cons

Job mobility, compensation, little to no promotions from within, unsure how to keep up with a changing world / industry / etc. The senior executives are fantastic - smart and sharp - but they aren't as in touch with the rapidly changing tastes and skills of a rapidly changing and more techonologically focused world.

Got me a job!

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Universal Music Publishing as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good/friendly people with great connections. Keeping in touch with past co-workers got me a job at another great music company affiliated with UMG.

Cons

Slow to adjust to quickly changing music industry

Keep it up!

Producer

Current Employee - Songwriter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Songwriter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Universal Music Publishing part-time

Pros

Music industry experience
    networking opportunities
    one of the top publishing companies
    excellent A&R's
    Very hands on with their songwriters and producers

Cons

you have to hungry because no one is going to put the work in for you even being signed to this company

Excellent company