Universal Music Publishing

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Renzer

Okay...Could be more organized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSenior management is somewhat accessible, but there are still very knowledgeable assistants and managers to assist. As an intern, I made myself known to many department heads and made great connections. The office is large, but if you utilize your people skills you can make great connections!

ConsSeparation of departments
    Separation of management
    There is opportunity for employment, but like many jobs in the industry it's greatly dependent on who you know at UMPG.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more accessible.

A bank that happens to be dealing in the currency of songwriting

Assistant (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsThe benefits package is pretty incredible, and the occasional perks (concert tickets, company parties, etc) are fun. Depending on what department you work in, you can be exposed to way more "real" music business than others.

ConsThere is little to no chance for growth - if you start as an assistant, you will most likely leave as an assistant. In the past 6 months, a somewhat scary number of assistants, coordinators, etc have left the company as they realize there's no where to go but out the door. The compensation is low for the music business, which is saying a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that new employees are trained, but also make sure each department knows what its greater purpose is, and how it fits in with other departments. Hire people who actually want to be here, and fire/lay off those that don't. Complacency and comfort has made his company really ....sluggish, for lack of a better term. The creative department needs to be purged and new, fresh talent should be brought in.

laid-back atmosphere, but no career development

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

Proslaid-back, easy-going, good people
    opportunity to interact with clients, even at the lowest levels (good sales/licensing experience)

Conslow pay
    no career development
    work is tedious, and lacks fun environment of a typical music biz job

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The top of the class as far as music publishing companies go. Universal Music Publishing Group can leverage their scale

ProsFantastic Senior Management and Leadership, Great Location

Universal Music Publishing Group manages to leverage its scale whilst providing individualized attention to writers and a small company feel.

ConsJob mobility, compensation, little to no promotions from within, unsure how to keep up with a changing world / industry / etc. The senior executives are fantastic - smart and sharp - but they aren't as in touch with the rapidly changing tastes and skills of a rapidly changing and more techonologically focused world.

Got me a job!

Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood/friendly people with great connections. Keeping in touch with past co-workers got me a job at another great music company affiliated with UMG.

ConsSlow to adjust to quickly changing music industry

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Producer

Songwriter (Current Employee)

ProsMusic industry experience
    networking opportunities
    one of the top publishing companies
    excellent A&R's
    Very hands on with their songwriters and producers

Consyou have to hungry because no one is going to put the work in for you even being signed to this company

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent company

Communication is key

(Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsBenefits, pay and SOME people are great. Would not suggest this job if you do not like being alone.

ConsLocation of the office is horrible to get in or out of, unless you live close by (which is rare). Break areas... sitting outside is great, but what if it rains? No one tells anyone what is going on.. leaving a lot of unanswered questions. For new employees this is scary and unhelpful. Training needs work, its more of a "figure it out" mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to keep your employees busy, not looking for work. Communicate to all levels, not just your department.

The company faces some very real struggles, and is not well situated to face them

Associate Director, Music Clearance (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsUMPG has a great family of coworkers. The staff is probably one of the most supportive groups I've worked in.

ConsWe're a subsidiary of our sister label group. They have different, and sometimes competing agendas, so its hard to achieve success when your parent company prevents you from doing so.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore internal dialogue is needed. The staff on the front lines have ideas about ways to streamline processes, but senior management isn't accessible and/or doesn't listen. We also need to stop using cost savings as our sole form of motivation (i.e. driver of our compensation packages). Sometimes money has to be spent to make more money. Compensation packages should be structured revenue generation, profit margin, market share, or some other positive benchmark rather than negative benchmark (i.e. how much cost we can cut).

Felt extremely unappreciated for the amount of work I was producing.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsThe health benefits, and a handful of people are great.

ConsMy former managers and supervisors would expect a great amount of work to get done in a day, when it's absolutely impossible considering all the different job duties I had. I was usually given high priority projects, told to basically ignore my other responsibilities, and then get reprimanded for being so behind on my usual job duties. I feel like they didn't know how to explain things very well when giving new work to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the new people more explanation of what you expect and set actual deadlines and not just say "we'll see where you get". (as I was often told).

Dead-End; Turn Around!

Royalty Clerk (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsIf you're a mute hermit who loves data-entry, this is the job for you.

ConsThe management doesn't support their employees. They don't give them the tools or the knowledge they need to do their jobs properly. Employees who have been there for many years don't know anything more than employees who have only been there 6 months because the management doesn't invest in the employees. There is also no effort to motivate employees. They are expected to toil through piles of paperwork with no feedback (positive or negative) and no goals.

Because so many people have been there for so many years, there is also no room for advancement. Employees have stagnated in entry level positions for 8 years+. Don't expect more than an annual inflation raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business of business is always people. If you manage the people, the work (and the business) will take care of itself. It can be akward getting used to giving feedback regularly, but you'll end up with better employees, a better work environment, and ultimately, a better company.

Worked for Universal Music Publishing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Universal Music Publishing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Universal Music Publishing CEO David Renzer. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Universal Music Publishing employees.