Universal Orlando Resort

Be The First To
Add Photos

Universal Orlando Resort CEO Bill Davis

Bill Davis

Pros:
  • "Free admission to SeaWorld & Busch Gardens (but not free parking)"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Free park tickets, 35% discount on all merch, HHN, discount on food, any time admission to park as guest"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay, of course - and promises of better pay for performance were just smoke and mirrors"
    in 11 reviews
  • "i know alot of people who's only job is universal, even though they are part time employed"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Attraction attendant

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort

ProsFun job, meet lots of great people. Good benefits. A company!

ConsSome long hours and some weeks working very little hours. Hours can be inconsistent at times. Just depends on the season.

Magical Job at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Food Service Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort for more than a year

ProsI absolutely love my job. There are always going to be some issues (see "Cons"), but obviously that is true of any position. I have some great co-workers who are both good at their job and fun to work with (including some wonderful managers/team captains), and I get to interact with guests from all over the world. Plus, I work in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, so it's a fun, fast-paced environment, and you can always share some magic with the guests by talking to them about Harry Potter.

ConsSometimes the managers make up frustrating rules (i.e. no trading shifts during the holidays), and some co-workers are slow/don't care, which in turn means more work for everyone else

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the managers and team captains connect with the lower-level employees more. I've worked there seasonally for a few years now and some managers/team captains still ask me if I'm new.

Fun place for a while, but you're really just a number

Attractions Attendant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time for less than a year

Pros- Free park admission with no blackouts, free parking all the time, free tickets for friends, good merchandise discount especially during the holidays.
- Free admission to SeaWorld & Busch Gardens (but not free parking)
- Discounts at many local retail and restaurant locations
- Easy to pick up extra hours by taking over another employee's shift
- Plentiful hours during peak
- Holiday pay for part-timers (after 90 days of working - don't start in October-December unless you want to get screwed out of 6+ paid holidays)
- Most supervisors at least act like they care. There are some really stellar leads, supervisors and managers that can make a venue a great place to be in spite of all the negatives.
- Most front-line employees are actually pretty great people. They are what makes it a fun place to work and you will probably make lots of friends. They're usually really fun people, especially in attractions.
- Even if you don't know a single word of Spanish, you will pick it up very quickly. Other team members are very helpful, especially with the phrases you will need the most.
- The company does try to show it cares about it's employees in some ways. Free turkeys at Thanksgiving, team member appreciation parties, advanced film screenings, and employee enrichment (like offering a free class in ASL)
- Full-time positions are available for front-line, it just may be a year or more before it's offered.
- Good at keeping front-line informed of what's going on in the park through internal communication efforts.

Cons- Wizarding World costumes are a joke. Horribly uncomfortable in essentially all weather conditions and so strict on accessories that you can't get comfortable. If you work in a venue with different temperatures depending on your position, you will be either too hot or too cold for half your shift. The provided jackets do not keep you warm, and if you wear a thermal, you'll be burning up anytime you're inside. No shorts, and for some reason all of the costumes have at least one piece that is unnecessarily hot - sweatervests, padded pants, padded 3/4-length sleeves, velour spats, corduroy hats ... in Florida!! Forget the raincoat, you're going to get soaked anyway and no one's going to care. Suck it up, buttercup. You can't keep a water bottle on you - it has to be stowed out-of-sight in a designated location, which might not be anywhere near where you're actually working, and you aren't allowed to drink from it in front of guests. I've never worked anywhere that cared so little for their employee's comfort or health.
- You will get stuck in position for hours, even though you'll be told "that should never happen." Someone will take too long on break because there's no accountability, or a supervisor will pull someone out and forget that everyone else is stuck. Take your lunch break at your first opportunity, even if it's 30 minutes after your shift starts, because you may not get another chance.
- All employee cafeterias except the Bistro near wardrobe have such terrible hours that you'll only take break when they're open about 50% of the time. Bring your lunch.
- Their resolution to the parking situation is a joke. Taking the shuttle from the Citywalk garage adds an extra 30 minutes to your commute.
- Have to change on-site (unless you're full-time and work somewhere that allows you to take your costume home), adding another 20 minutes to your commute when factoring in finding clothes, changing and walking to your venue. All in all, people should not have to arrive on property an hour before their shift starts just to have any hope of walking into their venue on time.
- Upward movement is ridiculously difficult and you usually have to be with the company several years before moving up, unless you're in a very high-turnover venue. Even if you have previous management experience, they don't care. They want to see you take on "projects" (which are usually artsy/crafty or volunteer) to "stand out," rather than paying attention to who the good workers, leaders and mentors actually are. As a result, a lot of really great people get left behind.
- Super quick to blame front-line employees for everything. If you make a mistake, you are going to hear about it and hear about it and hear about it. If you forget to initial something, you get a negative review. If a guest sneaks something by you, you're either going to get a negative review or a safety violation, depending on what it is. If something out of the ordinary happens on an attraction, management tries to pin a safety violation on whoever is standing nearby. They will make safety violations out of really, really dumb stuff just because someone has to get blamed, even if it was clearly something a guest did. If you have anything negative in your file, you are stuck for 6 months. You can't get promoted or transferred. Certain leads are more likely to give negatives than positives. They hand out little incentive cards that can be collected to turn in for bigger prizes, but that's really the only positive reinforcement I've seen. Usually it's negative.
- Constantly changing policies. Every shift starts with a meeting where you usually hear about some new change to policies, and the change usually just makes your job harder.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork a shift as front line every now and then. When you see the challenges the average attractions attendant is faced with constantly, you might rethink some of the policies that end up making their jobs continuously more difficult. When everything from parking, to wardrobe, to eating, to even staying hydrated is more difficult than it should be, something is majorly wrong.

Excellent company to work for.

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort full-time for more than a year

ProsFun environment. Great work life balance. Awesome product. Rapidly growing successful business.

ConsCertain back of house business divisions are undervalued and underpaid despite excellent performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, but also invest in current employees in order to retain good talent.

I grew to really dislike this job, but there are worse things out there.

Attractions Attendant (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, flexible schedule, and fun people to work with (most of the time)

ConsShitty, shitty guests, and questionable leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget what it's like to be making minimum wage.

Engineers were very willing to help out interns but lacked enough significant projects for us to work on.

Technical Services - Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery relaxed and easy going working environment yet still had the "urgency to get things done" mentality. Everyone was very friendly and helpful while being professional. Working with other interns made it more fun.

ConsThe internship was loosely structured. All work was basically helping the other engineers with projects or duties that they had no time for. Hard to put some of these tasks on a resume. Also found myself asking for work to gain as much experience as I could from the internship.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to assigning the interns to engineers - in other words, one engineer mentors one or two interns. Possibly have a rotation of assignments.

Great coworkers hampered by difficult management

Industrial Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort part-time for less than a year

ProsMy coworkers in every department I worked in where all inline with my business goals and made great team members, The company's benefit structure is easy for young professionals to understand

ConsManagement was subjective and could sometimes make decisions based on likeability rather than business success, poor communication from management at times

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for more mobility between departments and foster diverse opinions instead of hiring based on who sounds more like you

Decent high school or college job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort

ProsEmployee perks are nice if you enjoy the parks.

ConsSimilar to a retail job, super hot during summer, can be overwhelming.

Best place to work for as a side job

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort

ProsEasy to gain job experience in many job areas.

ConsSome managers do not care about team member. No overtime

Advice to Senior ManagementBring people from bottom up because there are good tools within them

Large company that feels small. How fun it is depends on which role you are in and who your managers are.

Food Service Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time for more than 3 years

ProsPerks like free tickets and parking for yourself 365 days a year. Free turkey during Thanksgiving. Employee preview for Halloween Horror Nights.

ConsLow wages. Varying hours dependent on how busy the park is. Comcast bought NBCUniversal, so you can instantly see that they are nickel and diming everyone to increase profits. Lots of things undergoing construction at the same time. Small employee parking lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more recognition to your competent and hard working employees.

Worked for Universal Orlando Resort? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Universal Orlando Resort reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Universal Orlando Resort CEO Bill Davis. All 98 reviews posted anonymously by Universal Orlando Resort employees.