Universal Orlando Resort

Universal Orlando Resort Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Universal Orlando Resort CEO Bill Davis

Bill Davis

Pros
  • Free admission to SeaWorld & Busch Gardens (but not free parking)(in 17 reviews)

• Lots of free entertainment with access to the theme parks(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and (some) management with no real experience(in 12 reviews)

• part timers, who can easily work full time hours year round get NOTHING(in 9 reviews)

I miss this place!

Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsWorking at the Wizarding World was my very first job right after I graduated high school, and it was one of the best job experiences I've ever had. I loved my work location, I loved the majority of my co-workers (none of us work there anymore but we're all still very close and see each other often), I loved the majority of my team leads and managers, etc. I was there for a year and a half, and I remember genuinely being excited to come to work and seeing my friends.

THE GOOD:

- Free park entry whenever you want (including special events like Halloween Horror Nights, unlike Disney where even their employees have to actually purchase tickets to attend their special events).
    - Advanced screenings for films.
    - Employee parties (If I remember correctly, they cleared out the Wizarding World section for the attraction attendants and they had the whole place to themselves while their managers operated the rides - very cool).
    - Free turkeys and Publix giftcards during Thanksgiving.
    - They have INSANE lost & found sales every year for employees. I had a co-worker who bought a very nice Canon SLR for $120.
    - Coupon books during the holidays which consist of ridiculous discounts and freebies that you can get throughout the parks.
    - Flexible scheduling. Very easy to trade shifts or request days off.
    - Amazing team to work with, you'll find yourself spending your free time and days off with a lot of these people, mark my words!
    - Personally, I loved my uniform/costume. It was definitely one of the more comfortable costumes in the whole park.
    - Great food options for lunch. Still some of the best employee food I've had (and I've worked at "fancier" places since then).

ConsThe only thing that I did not like about my time at Universal was a "forced switch" that they made all of the merchandise locations participate in. Management thought everyone was too "cliquey" and wanted a few people from each store to move into different stores to "alleviate this issue". I'll never understand what that meant - everyone in their own store saw their co-workers as family/team and we all got along extremely well - why ruin that camaraderie and rapport that we've built? Funny enough, that switch was the catalyst for a LOT of drama within every single store and it created a lot of animosity and resentment for the managers. Some new co-workers meshed well with their new stores and some did not at all - which created even more drama and made my last few months completely insufferable. Ultimately, this is why I decided to leave Universal.

THE BAD:

- The pay is horrible. I was making $7.25 when I started and $8.35 by the time I left. Luckily, I was a 17/18 year old still living with my mom and I had no real bills to pay. You can't live off of this place (get a second job). I don't even think team leads make that much either, but they definitely should because they deal with so much stress and BS from guests and management.
    - Power hungry co-workers who kissed ass and snitched on everyone in hopes of being promoted to a team lead position and would actually get promoted even though their work ethics were awful and people who were actually qualified for the team lead positions were consistently looked over.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay attention to what is actually going on within your stores! Stop trying to "fix" things that aren't broken!

I love the theme park, many departments are great, but food service is not.

Food & Beverage Team Captain (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsFree access to park, free tix for others based on time with company, discounts and other departmental perks, pay not too bad, promotions available and many opportunities for transferring to new positions, work with great people and interacting with guests from all over the world is pretty cool! But the best is simply the atmosphere of working in one of the greatest theme parks ever!

ConsI worked in food service for 5 and half years. Food service anywhere is tough: no breaks or very short ones, mean customers, rude customers, sales oriented and motivated management.
    The theme park food service world is a little better from outside, regular world at least in that customers (guests) are usually nicer and not as rude. Given that they are in a theme park and pretty happy to be on vacation, but it does get hot and the prices are high and sometimes they have to wait awhile due to long lines, so sometimes people are cranky. But the worst is management that is so profit driven that they do not allow us to have enough employees working to get our job done nor do they allow breaks like they should. Example: turnstile and attractions department get 2 15minute breaks and a 30 min lunch for working an 8hour shift. Food service MIGHT get a 30 minute lunch. That was ridiculous!

Advice to Senior Managementtreat food service like other departments, everyone deserves breaks. make sure managers are people managers with good communication skills.

Not a bad place to work for college students or those looking for some extra hours.

Utilities Third Shift (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsFree park admission
    Free guest passes on the reg
    Flexible hours and the ability to try several different roles if one doesn't work out for you

ConsLow pay and (some) management with no real experience
    In the eyes of some managers, how long you have worked here is more important than how much you actually know
    Most hourly positions wont lead to advancement

Advice to Senior Management3rd shift workers are the unsung heroes of the entire operation! They need more support, even just the basics like working equipment and stocked closets.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a job that got me thru high school.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsLots of free entertainment with access to the theme parks

ConsNot a lot of opportunity in the department I was associated with.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare a little bit more.. It could really make a difference & boost some morale.

awesome

Event Guide (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

Prosyou get very good benefits

Consthey can give out more hours

Universal Orlando

Actor (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsEverything is awesome about this employer

Consnone, there are no cons I have seen with this company

Advice to Senior Managementnone, management was great during my time there

Universal

Character (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThey are usually very flexible with their scheduling, and being in entertainment could be as enjoyable to the employee as to the guest

ConsThe environment can seem very "cliquish", with otherwise decent performing employees being looked down on as "poor" because they don't belong the their fellow employee's clique.

Has potential to be a great place to work but they have a long way to go.

ProsGreat co-workers, access to the parks, comp passes, vision/dental benefits and a career network department for those interested in advancing their careers. Feedback initiatives to improve the company are great.

ConsCompany culture is sometimes not very helpful. There is an elitism present in the exempt ("regular"), full-time employees that is highly resented by the non-exempt ("casual"), part-time employees. Opportunities for advancement are not very straight-forward and it feels like you have to jump hoops. Some departments ( ie. security) are held to a different standard of guest service than others. Employees are only equal in the sense that we all get tickets to the parks.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the elitism. We all work for the same company and most of you started at the bottom too.
    Hold all employees regardless of department or status to the same standard of guest service. If you are on stage, you should be required to exemplify our company values as well.

Attraction attendant

ProsFun job, meet lots of great people. Good benefits. A company!

ConsSome long hours and some weeks working very little hours. Hours can be inconsistent at times. Just depends on the season.

Magical Job at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Food Service Cashier (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsI absolutely love my job. There are always going to be some issues (see "Cons"), but obviously that is true of any position. I have some great co-workers who are both good at their job and fun to work with (including some wonderful managers/team captains), and I get to interact with guests from all over the world. Plus, I work in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, so it's a fun, fast-paced environment, and you can always share some magic with the guests by talking to them about Harry Potter.

ConsSometimes the managers make up frustrating rules (i.e. no trading shifts during the holidays), and some co-workers are slow/don't care, which in turn means more work for everyone else

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the managers and team captains connect with the lower-level employees more. I've worked there seasonally for a few years now and some managers/team captains still ask me if I'm new.

Worked for Universal Orlando Resort? Contribute to the Community!