Universal Orlando Resort

Updated September 18, 2014
3.8

Universal Orlando Resort CEO Bill Davis
Bill Davis

Pros
  • Free admission to SeaWorld & Busch Gardens (but not free parking) (in 17 reviews)

• Lots of free entertainment with access to the theme parks (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and (some) management with no real experience (in 12 reviews)

• part timers, who can easily work full time hours year round get NOTHING (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

CityWalk was definitely a fun and interesting place to work.

Former Employee - Door Host  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Door Host in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked as a Door Host at one of the clubs in CityWalk for a little over 3 years and definitely can say that it was both a fun and interesting experience. I met a lot of great people and generally had a lot of fun at work. Meal tickets ($3) for a quick snack before work. Management was very friendly towards me and trusted me to do my job without questioning my judgement. The best part of the job was meeting and greeting so many people. I literally have met people from Brazil to Iceland to Japan to France, you get the picture. Very flexible with my schedule as this was a P/T job for me. Catching fake IDs always made for a good night as well. Overall a great experience for a part-time job.

Cons

Not much room for growth unless your taking a low salary. Really hard to move up because seniority rules all. Training was minimal and in the beginning it was harder to catch fake IDs because we couldn't get the material to study (granted I was a bartender before I began this job, but I generally didn't have to check IDs because of the environment I was in). And while management generally treated me well, others were not so fortunate. Management would cave to everyone's demands and it made for a poor environment. Upper management got away with murder and then some (though I hear CityWalk has been cleaned up by Modesto).

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good entry level administrative jobs that provide tons of experience.
    Relatively easy advancement.
    Job Security
    Theme park perks

Cons

Pay is low.
    Schedules include weekends, holidays, late nights etc.

Fun Place To Work - But Management Needs Some Work

Former Employee - Destination Universal Vacation Planner  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Destination Universal Vacation Planner in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you work at the onsite hotels then you have a chance to make a little bit more money per week.
    Get into the park for free which is awesome! `

Cons

Management is worthless... They never give you the resources to do your job appropriately.
    Never taken care of.
    Pay is bad during the slow season.

Work a day at the desk to see what we go through.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent job with good benefits, easy work, great perks, but low pay.

Current Employee - Attractions Attendant  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Attractions Attendant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of advancement opportunities, great atmosphere. Most people are friendly and the supervisors are more than willing to work with you.

Cons

Tourists are very hard to deal with at times, may have to work in the sun for extremely long periods of time.

Keep doing a great job.

not the best place to work, horrible team members and guests, these people lack a little common sense

Current Employee - Stocker  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Stocker in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time for less than a year

Pros

free comp passes every quarter each year, free admission for team members and that's all that's great working at Universal Studios

Cons

man management, horrible leadership or lack thereof, very unprofessional and the culture there is not that great.

Good benefits but is it worth the stress and extra hours away from your family?

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort full-time

Pros

The benefits and some departments have a great sense of community.

Cons

Very stressful as there are not enough people to do the work. Work life balance is an issue in most corporate teams due to the amount of work.

Universal is an amazing company!

Current Employee - Attractions Trainer  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Attractions Trainer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

365 day theme park access, working with guests from all around the globe, room for development at every turn and opportunity

Cons

Working long hours in the heat and dealing with frusitrating guests.

Good Place for Starting Out

Current Employee - Food Service Cashier  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Food Service Cashier in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to meet people from around the world and gain experience that you couldn't from other places. If you work hard enough, there is a lot of room for climbing the ladder.

Cons

Some places around the park stink, the guests can be rude depending on where you work, and there is sometimes a language barrier that you are expected to work with.

Work hard to hold a high standard for your employees, but try to remember they are human and have feelings (which they are doing a good job at for now).

Good, if it's your first job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort for less than a year

Pros

Perks of getting into the parks, comp tickets, decent insurance if you are Full-time

Cons

Leadership is inexperienced and micro-manages. Managers seem to feel threatened if you suggest ideas that they haven't thought of. There is clear favoritism within departments, and if you do not "play the game", you are out. They skirt around giving people benefits by having them work full time hours as a "seasonal" employee.

Move around the managers that have been in place for a long time. They are getting stale and complacent. Ask for employee feedback more than once a year.

So exhausting for engineers

Current Employee - Co-Op Electrical Engineer  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Co-Op Electrical Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The best thing about the company is the unlimited access to Universal parks and the Complementary tickets you get. It could be a very good experience in the engineering field, specially if you work with the control engineers. The work environment is far from being a professional Engineering one since engineers work in contact with technicians and operation people. I didn't admire any of the Company values.

Cons

Working as an Engineer is overly exhausting, specially when a project dead line is approaching. Engineers then may work over 10 hours and may be required to change shifts. This explains why many engineers were looking for others jobs at the end of the project. Management are too busy to assign duties to small engineers and then blame the engineer for that. Many times it looks very unorganized.

Do not be afraid of relying on your engineers and divide the work on many people instead of trusting only one or two people. Also apply professional work values in your team environment.

Worked for Universal Orlando Resort? Contribute to the Community!