Universal Protection Service

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
2.5

Steve Jones

Pros
  • The company is growing rapidly, increasing in size, revenue and client base (in 4 reviews)

• Friendly enviroment and hours are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, unprofessional office employees, unprofessional post commanders (in 9 reviews)

• No paid time off, benefits don't meet Obama Care standards, no set schedule/odd hour (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad Employmee treatment

Current Employee - Security Officer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Universal Protection Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

nothing positive to say except that it was a guaranteed 40 hours a week.

Cons

I have worked there a little under a year. Health insurance is unaffordable. Went on maternity leave and when I came off of maternity leave they had no posts for me, forcing me to try to get unemployment which is half of what i made. Overpaying me before maternity leave and making me pay it back but yet they wont work me. They want to fire the good supervisors and bring in stupid ones that don't know what they are doing. People calling off all the time and not getting fired for it. People showing up late to work all the time and not getting in trouble. Calling a manager with concerns of problems and they don't care and don't do anything about it or they wont answer their phones or emails. Very Very Very bad company. Have tried calling cooperate and they won't answer and when you leave a message they wont call you back. No sick time. No paid maternity. write up if you are sick and have to call in, except not everybody. the favorites get away with anything. No raises!

answer your phones when an employee call you. quit playing favorites. hire supervisors that know what they are doing and wont call in, maybe then you will have a better turn out rate. Hold someones post when they go on leave like you are supposed to. Offer raises.

Great to work for UPS

Current Employee - Security Officer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Universal Protection Service part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture and professionalism in job assignment
    Support with necessary technical and security tools
    Good Initial training,
    Respect from Management
    Helpful scheduling

Cons

Account Management is very reactive

I am a security professional who worked at a tire warehouse. We are under paid for the service they require

Current Employee - Security Professional in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Security Professional in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Universal Protection Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

work alone. little supervision needed

Cons

had to come in on sick days /no one to ever cover my shift . had to work a double numerous of times due to no one relieving me. Management switched their representatives to often and couldn't get in touch with anyone. No one returns you calls. lack of communication

Their Mission Statement Is B.S.

I have been working at Universal Protection Service

Pros

They have some good paying accounts. In orientation they make you believe they are better and different than all other security companies. They do a great job speaking in orientation but its 95% B.S.

Cons

Upper management is very unprofessional and they don't care about how they impact their employees. The will lie to you, go behind your back take your position from you with out telling you. They don't communicate well with employees. If you do or say something they don't like they become sarcastic with their comments. No communication Skills at all!! They don't have a real training program. You get one or two days and they expect for you to figure it out as you go. There is no room for growth.

You should get out of your feelings and learn how to communicate effectively with your employees. You should also get a real training program in place. You should never make sarcastic comments to any employee no matter how your feeling that day.

Security guard

Current Employee - Security Guard in Lancaster, CA
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Lancaster, CA

I have been working at Universal Protection Service

Pros

Good jobs bosses and assistance or nice, they're very helpful patient especially if you live out far

Cons

There aren't any that I've seen

Overall this is the best job I've ever held, the management is hard working, making sure all employees are satisfied with their job

This company has some great perks in the Central Valley

Current Employee - Security Officer in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Modesto, CA

Pros

All DIfferent Kinds of Types of Sites and Opportunities

Cons

Some of the Management is not that great

Be nicer to your employees and be more punctual

Office personal aweful !!

I worked at Universal Protection Service

Pros

Maybe if i worked for universal in a different city ???

Cons

Personal. in the main office. are nothing but jerks...they don't care about the employees

Clean house and start over in the charlotte nc office

The more you put in, the more you get out of it.

I have been working at Universal Protection Service

Pros

If you are hired and don't have a guard card, they help you obtain one and it is not too expensive.

If you have your own transportation, they tend to assign you better posts.

Even if you are new, as long as you carry yourself well they will assign you to some top tier locations.

Cons

While it may be easy to get a job with the company, the posts they offer may not be the best.

If you rely on public transportation, that may pose a problem.

It is somewhat difficult to get a hold of management.

Try to get back with employees sooner when presented with questions and issues.

Has improved

Current Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

They have improved a lot and have grown as a company. Their intentions are good.

Cons

The company is a bit disorganized and cheap when it comes to pay, yet i believe many security companies are as well.

Hire better staffing in your office. Communicate with your client and the Management through your company working with that client. Contacting the customer service office (even as management) you can never get through to HR or any people in management. Best way is through email and a lot of times, responses are not received.

Security Officer

Former Employee - Security Officer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Richmond, VA

I worked at Universal Protection Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people you meet along the way at the job sites

Cons

Everything about the company. Management isn't competent and they lie about sites that you sign up to go to. They keep you where they want you or if a shift needs to be covered instead of putting you where your agreed to go.
    Pay is low.
    Horrible benefits.
    Low on uniforms.
    They don't return your calls unless you do something drastic, like quitting.
    Much better security companies in Richmond.

Universal Protection Service Photos