Universal Protection Service

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

2.4

Steve Jones

Pros
  • The company is growing but needs to add more branch support personnel (in 4 reviews)

• Friendly enviroment and hours are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, high expectations, and limited support (in 6 reviews)

• UPS bought the worst security company in Illinois and made no changes to management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

- Low Pay. No Benefits. Avoid at all costs unless desperate -

Current Employee - Security Professional  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Security Professional in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Universal Protection Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

- You don't do anything productive in this field so it allows you to study and take classes to get a degree and move onto a real career.
    - Met some really cool people here, hopefully they have moved onto better things.

Cons

- Low Pay. (Good luck trying to afford an apartment while paying rent, student loans, and other bills in CA or anywhere with a high cost of living). (Over worked and under compensated. Do NOT expect your employees to over work for near min wage).
    - No Raises. (OK... A few cents...They call that a raise I guess).
    - No Benefits. (No paid sick days, no paid vacations. Are you sick? Well sorry, you're out of luck. Their motto is: "No work, no pay," so hopefully you have some money saved... Hopefully...)
    - Supervisors/Managers who micromanage their employees like children.
    - No Productivity. (Job isn't productive so it is advisable to be doing something that is).

They do not listen to their employees so I will not waste my time giving any advice.

OK place to work

I worked at Universal Protection Service

Pros

good starting point for younger people getting into the work force looking for a Law Enfrocement career
    easy job to do, no big challenges

Cons

Salary is not great
    little to no opportunity for advancement
    expected to perform many duties for pay range
    rarely takes employee's concerns regarding equipment or general work place condition into consideration

work on creating opportunities for employee advancement
    create incentives for employees to maintain moral
    maintain equipment properly, and listen to employees when stuff goes wrong

Very easy job

Former Employee - Security Guard  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Universal Protection Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy Job, always on your feet.

Cons

Not enough hours, unpredictable work schedule.

None

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Current Protective Officer

Current Employee - CPL -Interim-Supervisor  in  Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - CPL -Interim-Supervisor in Greenville, NC

Pros

There is always room for personal growth. It is up to the officer on how they intend to pursue their work ethics, leadership, and abilities. Dedication, hard work, teamwork, and leadership are essential not only for a security officer, but for any employee no matter the profession. Yes, compensation depends on the type of site an officer is assigned to. Every site is not a $10.00 an hour site. Duties vary per site, per client needs. Officer should never solely focus on compensation of a site. This could influence their performance of their duties for their site. They fall prey to complaining and judgments. Security is not a one person island. It takes every officer and personnel in management to provide a competitive and valued service to each and every client.

Cons

Work-life balance differs for every officer. Officers have children, are caregivers, students, work other part-time jobs; whatever their life entangles, there is a site to fit the needs an officer. The on-site supervisor will work with the officer, but the officer must in-turn work with the supervisor (arriving to work on time, coming to work on scheduled days, and performing duties to the best of officer's abilities). Training is available for all new officers and existing officers. Each site entails proper training through personnel and existing officers. Safety training is provided to ensure every officer is properly and adequately enhanced and armed with the tools necessary to perform their duties. At UPS, every officers is given the opportunity to obtain a 401k plan, life insurance, paid vacations, and a bonus at the end of their year date the officer began just to name some of the perks as well as manager and supervisor positions.

Decent but not the best.

Current Employee - Security Professional  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Security Professional in Dallas, TX

Pros

Coworkers are amazing, many different posts, Pay is decent for most posts.

Cons

Lack of communication, terrible benefits package, vacations are based on your post not offered by Universal, little to no room for advancement, does not help in any way or fashion to excel your learning opportunities. Very basic bare minimum level II security training. Management is not very organized, consistently losing contracts, Upper management turnover is very high.

Consider the goals of your employees and offer to at bare minimum pay for continuing certifications in order to move up. Communication and organization needs to be improved drastically. Annual bonus should be paid regardless of whether the employee has taken vacation or not.

Is was average Security Company

Former Employee - Security Officer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Universal Protection Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had good starting paid and good training of the different sites. but I was not there long enough to receive and promotions at this time

Cons

Work is good plus with overtime, but sometime its to good check on site and that someone on post. If your are under contract must follow whats written.

Needs to check sites more often.

nothing good for you just the company

Current Employee - Security Guard  in  Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Universal Protection Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

lots of hours if willing to travel

Cons

not taking your needs into any thing

listen to your workers

Caution: CLOROX site a safety hazard.

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

no supervision, left to yourself, no one cares or knows when you are late or not there. very little to do. bring a laptop , games, movie dvd/vcr.

Cons

Building temp averages 85f= NO ventilation, muggy, stale air. MANY hazards! Hydrochloric acid bottles filled lying about, many biological and chemical experimentations went on there. Bolts rising out of the floor, nails, tacks, staples, black widow spiders, vermin, sewage, hot working conditions. No power in several buildings, workers continued to use bathrooms without water, thus sewage is piled up. swarms of flys in some restrooms. Bring your own soap, water and toilet paper, and garbage bags, no supplies provided. A toxic working environment. Black mold on some walls. The building has been unoccupied for at least 2+ years. A scary place to work! If you fall down or get hurt, Don't expect someone to find your rotted corpse some weeks later, if at all in 30 days...

turn on the power and water and air conditioning and ventilation systems, provide a janitorial service for garbage pickup and re supply and clean the working bathrooms. pick up trash, vacuum floors remove all toxic chemicals and have hazards cleaned up. and pick up written D.A.R.'s and notify client of all incidences noted, and have client/vendors lock up after they leave.

Harassed and forced to quit

Former Employee - Security Officer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Universal Protection Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

pay is okay for people in the teens and early twenties with no bills.

Cons

I worked at a post where I was constantly harassed and belittled by management and their tenants at a school at the location. When I reported this, with proof of me telling the truth, my post commander spoke to the location manager and lied to her about the incident. Management would NOT talk to me to discuss the actual problems and refused to acknowledge the physical proof I had. When calling the downtown location, I asked for a post transfer, and was told "oh so you're quitting" no, I never said that, I was asking for a transfer to a new post because of constant harassment I dealt with daily from the supervisors and 1 particular tenant at the location. I was FORCED to quit. I have NEVER had an issue at a job, and I have been working since I was a pre-teen.

STOP HARASSING YOUR FEMALE OFFICERS! if an officer/guard comes to you with an issue SPEAK TO THEM, LISTEN, and stop playing telephone with 10 other people who admittedly lie on the topics. IF A FEMALE OFFICER REPORTS HARASSMENT FROM MANAGERS AND SUPERVISORS... DO NOT FORCE HER TO QUIT. That seems like a very very inappropriate message you are sending out to employees.

Weak

Former Employee - Security Officer
    Former Employee - Security Officer

I worked at Universal Protection Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like working alone then this is the job for you.

Cons

Depending on your supervisor it can make coming to work stressful

Need to figure out who is in charge of what area and work down from there. Too much unknown

Worked for Universal Protection Service? Contribute to the Community!