Universal Service Administrative Company Reviews

Chris Henderson
1 Rating

Great place to work.

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company

Pros

The company provides a wonderful environment & culture. They appreciate their employees and it makes a pleasure to come to work.

Cons

They deal with typical challenges for any non-profit which means things move at their own pace. Some people certainly have more to do than they should.

2. DC's Best Kept Secret

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great including: higher than average 401K match, low insurance cost, and flexible schedule. All levels (right up to the COO) participate in the flexible schedule option, i.e. 9/80 schedules. Upper Management is approachable with a "sincere" open door policy. Personnel is team driven with a willingness to share knowledge.

Cons

It would be nice to get all federal holidays off.

3. A great place to work and great people to work with!

Current Employee - Senior Internal Auditor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Internal Auditor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

USAC boasts and operates with a total team perspective. Staff and management are appreciative, enthusiastic, have fun, and enjoy their work and working with others, while meeting goals and following quality work standards. Not to mention, USAC has great benefits and promotes a work-life balance.

Cons

The only Con I can think of is that I truly wish there were more hours in the work day - I get so involved in (and enjoy the work I do) that the day is over before I know it!

USAC's company values are tops, in that you truly feel appreciated and valued for your work and involvement in workplace activities. With every project and person I'm involved with, I learn something new.

5. A very rewarding and life-changing experience that has allowed me to grow both professionally and personally.

Current Employee - Program Manager, Schools & Libraries in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager, Schools & Libraries in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

USAC is a very diverse company. We have people working here from more than two dozen different countries and it makes for an interesting and unique work environment.

Management is also very flexible in terms of your work schedule. Many people come in very early so they can leave early while others do the opposite. Teleworking is also available.

The benefits here are also very generous (three weeks’ vacation in your first year, an incredible 401-K plan, education reimbursement, professional development courses, paid sick leave, short- and long-term disability, medical, dental, vision). Whenever I see my doctor or discuss benefits with friends who work at other companies, they’re always amazed at how generous my benefits package is!

Cons

This isn’t really the fault of the company but being located in downtown DC can mean a long commute for some people. But, if you take Metro rather than driving it’s not that bad (about 60 minutes total door-to-door time coming in from the Virginia or Maryland suburbs).

The company has tripled in size since I was hired here 9 years ago (currently almost 400 employees). As a result, we now have more formal policies and procedures in place regarding the workplace environment (but that’s pretty much the norm for most medium-sized companies).

Finally, since we’re a non-profit company, we have to watch our costs. As such, some of our in-house operations systems are not really state-of-the-art. I wouldn’t say we’re a company that is on the cutting edge regarding the latest technological software and hardware that’s available. But what we do have is functional and gets the job done, although it can have some reliability issues from time-to-time.

Keep staying the course. I am generally very happy here and I believe our company is heading in the right direction. It’s great to work for a company that provides such valuable and necessary services to so many American schoolchildren and their families.

6. An awesome company that promotes growth and learning!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Such a wonderful atmosphere to work in. Although I commute about 35 miles each day, there is no regret in job change decision I made. The company continues to expand in numbers and displays longevity. I have learned so much in very little time working here. I am rewarded with training opportunities and encouragement by team members.

This company has opened up many opportunities for me and with continued growth in the company, I will be a long standing member. Definitely one of the smartest career moves in my lifetime.

Cons

A bit unorganized when I first started. But after the first 2 weeks, I was provided with everything needed to get the job done.

7. USAC is a GREAT place to come to work every day. But you (alone) have to map out your career path/goals to move up here.

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

USAC is great in that you are well compensated, you have AMAZING benefits (11 percent into your 401(k) and health care is $5 a pay period, for example), excellent flexible work schedules if you so choose, and all employees are extremely respectful of others. The HR team here works VERY hard to make this the best work environment it can provide, and it shows. Also, the Leadership team makes sure that company-wide processes/procedures/policies are well thought out, organized, and well implemented.

Cons

The work itself can be stressful/frustrating because often USAC is subject to the whims and rules of the FCC (even in instances when USAC employees might have more/better information about the administrative aspect of universal service). Also, the methods, timing, reasons, and factors that affect promotions and lateral movement are not very clearly explained to staff. Promotions and upward movement seem to come on an ad hoc basis, highly dependent on how hard your immediate supervisor lobbies on your behalf. If you don't have a squeaky wheel manager, be prepared to work really hard for a long time without advancement.

Clarify the salary band structure and who (internally) can apply for what open positions. Help managers create "USAC-approved" career paths for their employees, and help them stay on that track (establish a more formal company-wide program for this).

8. A nice place to stay

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time

Pros

- Location
    - Office environment
    - Outstanding employee benefit
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Diversity and quality
    - Stable position, less risk

Cons

- Slow pace
    - Take long time to advance

9. Lots of great changes!

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance with a lot of very friendly and motivated staff. The CEO/CIO has done a tremendous amount of work to ensure employee satisfaction while getting a lot of challanging work completed. It is a place I like to come to every day.

Cons

Working with the government can be a challange, but it is DC so it is expected. Salaries would be higher if the company was actually private.

Keep it up. We love the changes you have been making.

10. Great benefits, okay work

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

USAC has some phenomenal benefits, minimal politics for a psuedo-government agency.

Cons

The work is not extremely satisfying

Work/life balance and some challenges

Pros

Benefits are very good. Standouts include 401K and family healthcare. Vacation leave is ample. New CEO may bring some fresh air and new ideas to leadership.

Cons

A relatively small organization, it can be tough to advance here. There is a quasi-government culture here that may not appeal to people used to working in the private sector. Some of the management is fairly old fashioned, but that is balanced by a brand new CEO.

Universal Service Administrative Company Photos