Universal Studios Hollywood

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.4

Thomas L. (Tom) Williams

Pros
  • Theme park and you often get free food (in 9 reviews)

• Good people, exciting work environment, there's usually something fun going on (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • dealing with thousands of people daily for low pay (in 4 reviews)

• Minimum wage is where the company wants to keep everyone (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Wardrobe Department

Former Employee - Wardrobe Department Assistant
    Former Employee - Wardrobe Department Assistant

I worked at Universal Studios Hollywood part-time

Pros

Constantly busy working environment with focused and hard working collegues. I really enjoyed working in the wardrobe department where I was able to meet employees from departments all over the park. The training was a couple of days and paid and the daily operations were not too complicated.

Cons

Hours and scheduling were not ideal and we were punished for bringing out our cell phones. The job was physically demanding carrying different clothing bags to and from the belt but overall not too hard.

Speak with employees more on adjusting regulations with the times. I think punishing employees for Cell Phone use especially in the past/from camera footage is a bit of a power move. Unless it is hindering customer satisfaction or the departments efficiency checking the time or responding to a message every now or then is not that bad.

Very corporate

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Universal City, CA

I worked at Universal Studios Hollywood as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very structured responsibilities and chain of command. Lots of resources at your disposal.

Cons

Learning the ins and outs of the office politics and corporate procedures about about 50% of the effort when starting here. This is probably common to all large businesses. But it would also sometimes be the main priority, even over accomplishing goals and tasks.

Great Environment, excellent coworkers (most of the time)

Current Employee - Food Stand Attendant in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Food Stand Attendant in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Universal Studios Hollywood full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training and benefits, if you enjoy customer service, than this is definitely the job for you. Be prepared to work hard, and go home tired, but happy.

Cons

Some of my coworkers didn't work hard, and most of the people who work there are smoking mariuana, on or off duty. They say drug tests happen, but if they did, they would lost half of their staff, management included.

Great job with training, but make sure to keep an eye on employees, and stop playing favorites. Just because you like them doesn't mean they are good.

Pretty cool first job!

Current Employee - Food Stand Attendant in Universal City, CA
    Current Employee - Food Stand Attendant in Universal City, CA

I have been working at Universal Studios Hollywood part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible, opportunity for growth, managers are easy-going, and coworkers were really helpful. You get to experience what its like to work with so many different cultures. It is a pretty awesome experience.

Cons

rude guests, working outside in very bad weather

Pretty good for retail

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Universal City, CA

I worked at Universal Studios Hollywood part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get moved around between stores around the park so you do slightly different things each day. Sometimes people from corporate scout around and give you gift cards if you do a good job. Lots of opportunities to work your way up the retail chain.

Cons

The constant badgering for guest service did get stressful. The clock-in system is an ordeal all on its own and you could get written up for cash variances even if the blame rested solely on your lead.

Valet Runner

Former Employee - Valet Runner in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Valet Runner in Universal City, CA

I worked at Universal Studios Hollywood part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tips. Also if one strikes a conversation with guests it could potentially lead to other jobs if one does not want to be a valet runner for long. Benefits to movie theaters, discounts at CityWalk and free tickets to the park and special events such as Halloween Horror Nights or Grinchmas.

Cons

Inadequate training for modified cars.

Consider employees as an asset rather than a liability. Better training needed

VIP Specialist

I worked at Universal Studios Hollywood full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance. Great benefits. Fun people to work with

Cons

Sometimes too many chiefs not enough indians to make workflow smoothly. Some managers like to sleep to the top. Managers and supervisors very much lacking 'management skills'. Practices learned in leadership workshops should be demonstrated at all times.

Former Rider Operator/Ticket Sales

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Studio City, CA

I worked at Universal Studios Hollywood part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a college student, this was the perfect job. Unlimited access to the parks, union protection (small but really impactful perks), and amazing atmosphere. I enjoyed every day that I worked there. I met some really interesting people (Serbian kids who were given jobs there through an agency, other LA kids I never would have met) and just had a blast.

Cons

They're a little transparent on hours. When you start in the summer, if you're new, you have to call-in for open shifts. I actually rarely worked the job I was hired for (Jurassic Park) b/c they already had established employees w/ set hours. I took shifts on other rides when they needed someone else.

Also, if you're looking at this as a long-term move, don't. Even the supervisors barely make above minimum wage. Seriously.

I had a wonderful time while I was there!

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Universal City, CA

I worked at Universal Studios Hollywood part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people, the atmosphere! Everyone who works there are having a fun time and make sure the guests are having a good time too! They also have good perks and benefits!

Cons

No challenges I can think of.

WIFI for employees!

Universal Warehouse man

I have been working at Universal Studios Hollywood

Pros

cool people, good work environment, fun summer job

Cons

didn't really have any, great summer job