Universal Studios Hollywood

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Thomas L. (Tom) Williams

Pros:
  • "Free entry into the theme park on days off"
    in 8 reviews
  • "A great place to learn the importance of customer service"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "dealing with thousands of people daily for low pay"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Underpays as the theme park industry doesn't have dynamic competition"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Such a great experience!

ProsI love the atmosphere and the people I work with. Everyone is so nice & helpful and the managers are great and very understanding when it comes to certain situations.

Consonly problem i'd say are the hours, it would be nice to get more hours. other than that, i can't complain!

Was interesting

Ride Operator (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are wonderful
    co workers even better
    great 1st job
    When season hits wonderful place to stay.
    Perks are amazing
    free tickets discount tickets
    Gate A access

ConsLack of respect for the underdogs
    being rudely talk down to
    not understanding about most medical problems
    hard to gain hours
    Being pushed or pulled by guest
    Stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementSensitivity training
    senior management should be there often
    help those in need eith medical issues
    Have better days
    dont harshly talk down to others.

DON'T WORK HERE

Carnival Games Attendant (Former Employee)
    Universal City, CA

ProsFun, fast paced, meet lots of people

ConsSeasonal hiring, rules nearly impossible to follow, management doesn't care about anyone but themselves, as nice as these people are supposed to be to guests; they don't know how to be nice to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the Union; Don't hire so many people if you don't want to keep them all; show some compassion for your employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok

Prosgreat place to make friend

Consmanagement does not support the workers

Advice to Senior Managementbe there more often. not only when higher management is present

Probably the best job I've ever had.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are very nice and understanding, fellow employees become like family, you get enveloped in the atmosphere both backstage and on set, the make up, costumes, mazes, and sets were top-notch, and my supervisors were amazing. Not to mention: Take Five Cafe. I want to go back this year, I'm hooked!

ConsScaring guests for 30 minutes to an hour non-stop gets tiring, even if you have a simple scare. There is also the threat of being hurt by guests or having them do a number of rude things to you, but if you don't take it to heart you'll be fine - most guests aren't like this however, so don't worry. I also had only one negative encounter with one of the employees who handled props - I accidentally damaged my prop and he treated me like dirt for doing so, and he even teased me negatively about it later that night. But this was sorely because of his own attitude and he was hired by Universal like I was, and he probably won't be hired back.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing comes to mind except to hire more respectable employees!

helped in learning U S work Culture

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Prosif interested in tv. this the best place

Consneed to have good work experience to thrive

A lot of perks, but is it worth the stress?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a lot of perks as an employee, such as getting into the theme park for free whenever you want, free parking, discounts on basically everything inside the park, discounts on food at CitiWalk. You really get to know your co-workers and upper management on a personal basis, which can be both good or bad.

ConsThere is a lot of drama that happens between the employees. Things can get unprofessional in front of guests despite their position. It's very stressful working here during the summer, especially dealing with frustrated guests.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the job training could definitely be better with better qualified trainers.

Area i worked was bad, but great company

Ticket Seller (Current Employee)
    Universal City, CA

ProsGood Pay, Employee Discounts on Food and Merchandise, Free Entry Into Theme Park, Close to Public Transportation,

ConsGuest Situations, Parking Relocation, Certain Area Managers, Time Of Scheduling

Advice to Senior ManagementFront Gate Management: Treat your employees with a little more respect. All of the other areas do so, and it make the whole area look bad among the company

Fun and flexible job, but you have to work for about a year and a half before you can get good hours

Food Stand Attendant (Current Employee)
    Universal City, CA

ProsIt's a lot of fun to work here; you meet a lot of interesting people, your coworkers are usually fun and energetic, and the pay rate is pretty good. Perks are nice, since you get discounts in the park and on Citywalk, plus you can attend movie screenings and get discounted movie tickets. You are also a part of a union, so despite the union dues, you do get good perks from them. The hours are very flexible so you have time to do other things in your free time like school or another job. There is also growth potential after about a year of working here. The company is also pretty lenient with attendance; they don't automatically fire you after being late a few times, but rather they use a point system where accumulating points from calling off or being late determines disciplinary action. A separate point system is used for cash handling, and this is also pretty lenient. And, a plus for some, there is no drug test screening before hiring and the company doesn't really care what you do outside of work as long as it doesn't affect them or your performance on the clock.

ConsThe worst part about this job is the hours; you have no guarantee for hours so during the off-season you can go weeks without hours in your first few months of work. After about a year, you start to get offered more hours, but it takes about two years before your seniority kicks in and you don't have to worry about it as much anymore. A lack of hours means obviously not as much pay but it could also affect your benefits; there is a minimum number of hours that need to be worked to remain covered and with no hour guarantee this can be hard to manage. You can call in to try to pick up a shift but this is first come first serve (not seniority) based and not as reliable, especially if you live further away since it is very last minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the large scale, at least where I work, management is effective and I enjoy the energy and enthusiasm managers bring to the workplace. Many managers try to interact with workers on a more casual level (making jokes and befriending workers) which to me should be something that they all do. Additionally, I feel that some managers should listen to leads a bit more and/or participate in the restaurant activities so that they can actually understand what these leads are dealing with before critiquing them. We are often understaffed and this is difficult for us to manage, so if we are not given replacements, I don't believe that critiquing us is the solution. Considering the sheer volume of employees our department has, I feel that an understaffed workplace should not even remotely be an issue.

I've been at UNiversal for 15 years many changes and many owners

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Universal City, CA

ProsNice enviroment to work in people are great.

ConsNo corporation loyalty any day could be your last

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is okay

Worked for Universal Studios Hollywood? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Universal Studios Hollywood reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Universal Studios Hollywood CEO Thomas L. (Tom) Williams. All 56 reviews posted anonymously by Universal Studios Hollywood employees.