Universal Truckload Services

Updated September 24, 2014
2.7

H. E. "Scott" Wolfe
1 Rating

Strong company that is growing; offers a lot of room for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are competitive in the industry. Work environment is laid back and offers employees flexibility. Management is solid but are aging, which opens up growth opportunities for younger managers within the company. Universal was ranked #80 on Fortunes Fastest Growing Companies and is among the top transportation and logistics companies.

Cons

Industry is fast-paced and demanding at times. Perk benefits are fair but can be improved on.

Allow employees to give more feedback and ideas.

Management is a joke.

Current Employee - Contractor Services  in  Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Contractor Services in Warren, MI

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get paid weekly and the check clears every week.

Cons

5 PTO days your first calender year...better make em count, thats all you get. If you start Jan 4, you get NO PTO days until the next Jan 1. No direct deposit. Medical insurance is expensive and offers ZERO preventative care. Office is like working in a library. It is the most depressing office environment I have ever worked in. No music (even really low) or ear buds to help break the silence. Management doesn't even try to get employees putting in notice to stay. High employee turn over. E-mails sent for talking too much from management, we also got an e-mail for shredding (documents with personal or sensitive information) too much!!

Start with some better benefits, and loosen up a little bit. Its an office, not a work camp.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Contractor Services Specialist
    Former Employee - Contractor Services Specialist

I worked at Universal Truckload Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like someone else said, at least I had a job? That's about all I can think of. And you get paid every week, which is nice.

Cons

The pay is terrible, and a raise? HA! Good luck with that, and even if you do, it is so miniscule, you will see maybe and extra...$12 in your paycheck. There is NO benefit to going above and beyond. No matter how much extra work you put in to anything or how above and beyond you go, you will never EVER hear so much as a "thank you" which just encourages everyone to do the bare minimum- and most do after realizing this. NO benefits, the health insurance they offer is a joke, and also owned by Mr. Moroun, so it is total garbage. They have slowly but surely taken away anything that is nice for the employees (Christmas party, walk-a-thon, ect) while constantly giving you more responsibilities and more rules (w/o any additional compensation). Pretty much text book how not to keep employees happy in any way, which is why I saw 15 people leave my small department in the 2 years I was there. Oh also, there is no direct deposit because word is, Matty doesn't want to pony up the money for it (side not- he is a BILLIONAIRE)

Say "thank you" once in a while for a job well done or do SOMETHING to show your employees that you sincerely appreciate them. Give employees more benefits, better pay, a CHRISTMAS party for goodness sake! This company makes millions if not billions of dollars a year, which wouldn't be possible without your employees, so do something to show them thanks other than a sub-par paycheck every week.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company For Anyone Interested In Logistics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Pros

The pay is fair for the positions. You get a raise every year (normally it's either more, because your manager wants to keep you or a standard 3% cost of living increase). The people are very friendly! The company is very successful, so layoffs aren't an issue - Great job security! It's not a stressful environment, but the dress is professional.

Cons

Little opportunity for growth. They could improve their structure to keep employees who want to advance within the company.

You're doing a great job!

great company

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supportive management team, competitive pay, opportunity for advancement, experianced management team, financially stable, nice/comfortable corporate office... Management seems to genuinely care about employees. If you are willing to work hard you can advance.

Cons

Benifits are not great but sufficient.

Company seems to be growing and headed in the right direction. Leadership is good.

Terrible Company! BEWARE!

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services for less than a year

Pros

A short term solution for a job. Charitable jean days on occassion.

Cons

Very uncomfortable corporate office. Everyone on top of each other. We're treated like numbers. 45 hour mandatory work week without lunch included it that time. No work/personal life balance. No direct deposit of weekly checks. Salary exempt employees are subject to punching in and out everyday. No bonuses. Minimum holidays off. No work reviews or goals to work for.

As someone mentioned in other reviews, the culture is bad. This starts from the top and works it's way down. Give perks to employees...even small ones.

The worst

Current Employee - Internal Recruiter  in  Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Internal Recruiter in Warren, MI

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

None they are an absolute joke

Cons

They want you to work 50 hours a week for $400 a week. Honestly terrible, they also are a big scam when it comes to benefits, they screw around potential hires as well and have a high turnover on driver.

Get it together

Can't get any worse

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I worked at Universal Truckload Services full-time

Pros

My paycheck never bounced. That's about it.

Cons

"Worst culture" and "a pretty bad place" are right on in their descriptions of UTSI and everything that's wrong with it. Don't let UTSI's self-pride of being a "public" company fool you, they're fully under the iron grip of Matty Moroun, and it's Matty's way or the highway. Employees are mere numbers here, and forcing salaried employees to punch a clock every day is proof, not to mention making them work 50+ hours a week with no overtime compensation, or even a mere gesture of thanks.

Like "worst culture" mentioned, don't go to UTSI looking for great insurance, they're self-insured and it's bottom-barrel. No bonuses, either. None. Not even a token gift for the holidays. Instead, they'll take 5% of your pay and cry poor for a year, but make no effort to give it back.

Computers and software are hopelessly outdated, and IT staff shows little regard for assistance. Management is poorly trained, and lack professionalism.

Learn the trucking business for starters. 3/4 of your management team lacks training in the basics of the business. And try being pleasant like the other reviews mentioned. Act like you want to be there, it rubs off on your peers. Incentives would be a huge perk, but I doubt that's going to happen in Matty's lifetime.

Worst Culture

Pros

I haven't found any unless you can say "at least I have a job. Being in the work force for over 30 years, this is dead bottom.

Cons

"a pretty bad place" person was spot on. Besides the 50 hour work week(actually 45, but mandatory 1 hour lunch) you get paid weekly. Now this isn't such a bad deal if it wasn't for the fact you can not get direct deposit. Yes, they are living in 1985.

I disagree with the statement that there are friendly people here. The majority are very unfriendly. My belief is that everyone is misable.

Benefits are also the worst. Don't think you'll get Blue Cross or anything comparable. It just ain't gonna happen.

Get some management training. Get team training for your employees. Offer perks...something! Make it that people would be proud to work here. Not just here to make a buck.

Also learn some professionalism. Acknowledge you staff. Say "hello" or "good morning" or "have a good night" instead of acting like they don't exist. Yes, it's that bad.

a pretty bad place

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services

Pros

People working there are reasonably friendly

Cons

Low pay, terrible benefits. If you are on a salary, you are expected to be at work 50 hours a week, whether your presence is needed or not. (they don't mention this when you are interviewing.) If you have to come in unexpectedly, that is NOT included as part of your 50-hour work week. Salaried employees punch a time clock, just to make sure they are putting in their full 50 hours. Kind of degrading, really.
    Antiquated, slow computer system is a constant source of annoyance.

Worked for Universal Truckload Services? Contribute to the Community!