Universal Truckload Services Reviews

1. Easy but stressful

Former Employee - Settlements Clerk in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Settlements Clerk in Warren, MI

I worked at Universal Truckload Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The day-to-day responsibilities of the job were not challenging, and there wasn't too much down-town where you were waiting for something to do. The pay was fair.

Cons

There is a lot of information to learn, so be patient because the repetition of everything you do will cement it all in your brain. Phone calls from clients could be stressful if they were not happy with their service. This was about 50-60% of the time.

Advice to Management

There was a lot of employee turnover when I worked there, so maybe there could be more perks for employees to keep morale up and people staying in their positions.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I worked at Universal Truckload Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Good - I have found very few positive things to say.

Cons

The Bad - The company culture is simply terrible. There is no direct deposit. This does create a problem with family/work balance when you get a paper check every week and you have a mandatory 45 hour work week, plus lunch.

The HR group is actually a separate company from Universal call HR-1. It is next difficult to find the right person for any issues you may have that would require HR. They have a reputation within Universal as useless.

You do not have a career Universal, you have a job. Management does not promote teamwork or understand how to get employees engaged in their job or the business. It is an "every man for himself" attitude. This is pure incompetence.

The Ugly - The new CEO has a lot to bring to Universal. He understands how bad the culture is and wants to improve it. It is a huge task. The owners will fight him every bit of the way.

Advice to Management

Mid-management has to be looked at more closely. There are people that are promoted to management positions that are just not qualified to mange people.

3. Ok

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services

Pros

Work in a 4 person office with great people and b terminal manager

Cons

Clocking in and out when you are on salary.

Blah.

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like others have posted before, you get paid weekly and the check clears. Whoopie.

Cons

Alot of micromanaging and the benefits suck. The health insurance can run you over $300 a month with pathetic coverage, and that's just insane since they pay their employees very little. Also, you get very little PTO time and it is based on calendar year, accrued by each quarter. You are only given only 5-8 days your first full calendar year, only increasing the second calendar year to 10-13 days, depending on if you are hourly or salary. If and only if you make it to your seventh year will they give you 3 weeks... As for raises, fat chance getting one- if you are lucky enough to get one it will be very insignificant. Cost of living and general life expenses always outweigh what you are actually paid, unless you're management or a very high up higher up.

Leaving was the best decision I ever made!

Former Employee - Recruiter in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Warren, MI

I worked at Universal Truckload Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly pay. Nothing more, this place is the worst of the worst. Garbage

Cons

Poor health care coverage. No preventative care is offered for the outrageous price they charge, and its some no name insurance company Matty owns that no one takes anyways. You're literally better off having no coverage and paying full price for your office visits, it will cost you less. NO DIRECT DEPOSIT! I know it sounds impossible for a company so large, but I swear, its true....and mind blowing. The culture here is just terrible. Everyone is so miserable, and the turnover is crazy high. Upper management will ask what can be done to improve things, but I swear they only ask because they want to make it seem like they care. Trust me, they don't. They don't take employee complaints seriously, but honestly, its probably only because they can't. Matty has a tight grip on everything, and if something doesn't benefit him, he can't even be bothered with it. Oh, and to add to the cheapness of the company, you will go to meetings to try and get morale up and ask employees for input. They will tell you how much the company is growing, and how much money they are making, and then shoot down any requests for better/ additional benefits, getting direct deposit, more vacation days, steady raises, bonuses, patching holes in the ceiling where water leaks through (totally unreasonable, right?)

Advice to Management

Stop asking what can be done to improve morale when you never have and are never going to do anything about it.

7. Fantastic Company

Current Employee - Account Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Omaha, NE

Pros

Weekly pay, lots of room for advancement but you have to be willing to move across the country. Universal is such a large company that there is nothing we can't do in the Transportation world. This is a great place to start as an entry level fleet manager and work your way up. In fact one of the presidents started many years ago as a fleet manager. I also started as a fleet manager and have been promoted 3 times in the 3 and a half years I have been there. They are always promoting people from within and with a promotion you get a pay raise and typically a bonus check if you are moving to a different location. Universal is such a large company and it just keeps growing!! I honestly love working here!!

Cons

No direct deposit. Not Blue Cross Blue Shield, instead they use their own insurance company so therefore its really expensive. Working in the HQ office is kind of noisy and bright. They require salary employees to still "clock in and out" Vacation days are horrible. 5 your first year at best, and depending when you start and I believe you max out at 15 after 6 years?

Advice to Management

Give higher pay raises based on performance. 3% is almost a slap in the face! Parking at the HQ office. You should be able to have fun at work, quite with the micro-managing, we are all adults here. Bring back holiday parties. Start doing team building events(mini golf, bowling etc). Let your employees travel to the terminals they work with. Keep your employees happy and they will stick around!!

Management is a joke.

Current Employee - Contractor Services in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Contractor Services in Warren, MI

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid weekly and the check clears every week.

Cons

5 PTO days your first calender year...better make em count, thats all you get. If you start Jan 4, you get NO PTO days until the next Jan 1. No direct deposit. Medical insurance is expensive and offers ZERO preventative care. Office is like working in a library. It is the most depressing office environment I have ever worked in. No music (even really low) or ear buds to help break the silence. Management doesn't even try to get employees putting in notice to stay. High employee turn over. E-mails sent for talking too much from management, we also got an e-mail for shredding (documents with personal or sensitive information) too much!!

Advice to Management

Start with some better benefits, and loosen up a little bit. Its an office, not a work camp.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Contractor Services Specialist
    Former Employee - Contractor Services Specialist

I worked at Universal Truckload Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like someone else said, at least I had a job? That's about all I can think of. And you get paid every week, which is nice.

Cons

The pay is terrible, and a raise? HA! Good luck with that, and even if you do, it is so miniscule, you will see maybe and extra...$12 in your paycheck. There is NO benefit to going above and beyond. No matter how much extra work you put in to anything or how above and beyond you go, you will never EVER hear so much as a "thank you" which just encourages everyone to do the bare minimum- and most do after realizing this. NO benefits, the health insurance they offer is a joke, and also owned by Mr. Moroun, so it is total garbage. They have slowly but surely taken away anything that is nice for the employees (Christmas party, walk-a-thon, ect) while constantly giving you more responsibilities and more rules (w/o any additional compensation). Pretty much text book how not to keep employees happy in any way, which is why I saw 15 people leave my small department in the 2 years I was there. Oh also, there is no direct deposit because word is, Matty doesn't want to pony up the money for it (side not- he is a BILLIONAIRE)

Advice to Management

Say "thank you" once in a while for a job well done or do SOMETHING to show your employees that you sincerely appreciate them. Give employees more benefits, better pay, a CHRISTMAS party for goodness sake! This company makes millions if not billions of dollars a year, which wouldn't be possible without your employees, so do something to show them thanks other than a sub-par paycheck every week.

Strong company that is growing; offers a lot of room for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Pros

Pay and benefits are competitive in the industry. Work environment is laid back and offers employees flexibility. Management is solid but are aging, which opens up growth opportunities for younger managers within the company. Universal was ranked #80 on Fortunes Fastest Growing Companies and is among the top transportation and logistics companies.

Cons

Industry is fast-paced and demanding at times. Perk benefits are fair but can be improved on.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to give more feedback and ideas.

Great Company For Anyone Interested In Logistics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Pros

The pay is fair for the positions. You get a raise every year (normally it's either more, because your manager wants to keep you or a standard 3% cost of living increase). The people are very friendly! The company is very successful, so layoffs aren't an issue - Great job security! It's not a stressful environment, but the dress is professional.

Cons

Little opportunity for growth. They could improve their structure to keep employees who want to advance within the company.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job!

RSS Feed </> Embed