Universal Truckload Services

Add Photos

Universal Truckload Services President, CEO, and Director Donald B. Cochran

Donald B. Cochran

great company

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSupportive management team, competitive pay, opportunity for advancement, experianced management team, financially stable, nice/comfortable corporate office... Management seems to genuinely care about employees. If you are willing to work hard you can advance.

ConsBenifits are not great but sufficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany seems to be growing and headed in the right direction. Leadership is good.

Terrible Company! BEWARE!

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services for less than a year

ProsA short term solution for a job. Charitable jean days on occassion.

ConsVery uncomfortable corporate office. Everyone on top of each other. We're treated like numbers. 45 hour mandatory work week without lunch included it that time. No work/personal life balance. No direct deposit of weekly checks. Salary exempt employees are subject to punching in and out everyday. No bonuses. Minimum holidays off. No work reviews or goals to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs someone mentioned in other reviews, the culture is bad. This starts from the top and works it's way down. Give perks to employees...even small ones.

The worst

Internal Recruiter (Current Employee)
Warren, MI

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services full-time for less than a year

ProsNone they are an absolute joke

ConsThey want you to work 50 hours a week for $400 a week. Honestly terrible, they also are a big scam when it comes to benefits, they screw around potential hires as well and have a high turnover on driver.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together

Can't get any worse

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Truckload Services full-time

ProsMy paycheck never bounced. That's about it.

Cons"Worst culture" and "a pretty bad place" are right on in their descriptions of UTSI and everything that's wrong with it. Don't let UTSI's self-pride of being a "public" company fool you, they're fully under the iron grip of Matty Moroun, and it's Matty's way or the highway. Employees are mere numbers here, and forcing salaried employees to punch a clock every day is proof, not to mention making them work 50+ hours a week with no overtime compensation, or even a mere gesture of thanks.

Like "worst culture" mentioned, don't go to UTSI looking for great insurance, they're self-insured and it's bottom-barrel. No bonuses, either. None. Not even a token gift for the holidays. Instead, they'll take 5% of your pay and cry poor for a year, but make no effort to give it back.

Computers and software are hopelessly outdated, and IT staff shows little regard for assistance. Management is poorly trained, and lack professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the trucking business for starters. 3/4 of your management team lacks training in the basics of the business. And try being pleasant like the other reviews mentioned. Act like you want to be there, it rubs off on your peers. Incentives would be a huge perk, but I doubt that's going to happen in Matty's lifetime.

Worst Culture

ProsI haven't found any unless you can say "at least I have a job. Being in the work force for over 30 years, this is dead bottom.

Cons"a pretty bad place" person was spot on. Besides the 50 hour work week(actually 45, but mandatory 1 hour lunch) you get paid weekly. Now this isn't such a bad deal if it wasn't for the fact you can not get direct deposit. Yes, they are living in 1985.

I disagree with the statement that there are friendly people here. The majority are very unfriendly. My belief is that everyone is misable.

Benefits are also the worst. Don't think you'll get Blue Cross or anything comparable. It just ain't gonna happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some management training. Get team training for your employees. Offer perks...something! Make it that people would be proud to work here. Not just here to make a buck.

Also learn some professionalism. Acknowledge you staff. Say "hello" or "good morning" or "have a good night" instead of acting like they don't exist. Yes, it's that bad.

a pretty bad place

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services

ProsPeople working there are reasonably friendly

ConsLow pay, terrible benefits. If you are on a salary, you are expected to be at work 50 hours a week, whether your presence is needed or not. (they don't mention this when you are interviewing.) If you have to come in unexpectedly, that is NOT included as part of your 50-hour work week. Salaried employees punch a time clock, just to make sure they are putting in their full 50 hours. Kind of degrading, really.
Antiquated, slow computer system is a constant source of annoyance.

Not a terrible place to work

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services

ProsPeople are very nice. MOST managers are easy going and friendly to department.

ConsPay, programs, and software outdated

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better job recognizing good work

LTI Fleet Manager

Fleet Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Universal Truckload Services

ProsThe employees are laid back and are generally pleasant to work with as well as the parent company in Michigan.

ConsOne major downside is that you are on call once a week every three or four weeks where you can be reached 24/7.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall you do a great job. One thing I would change is the amount of second chances some driver's and agents receive.

Worked for Universal Truckload Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Universal Truckload Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Universal Truckload Services CEO Donald B. Cochran. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Universal Truckload Services employees.