Universal Wireless

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
1.0

CEO

Unprofessional leadership and very bad pay.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Universal Wireless full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, co-workers were often enjoyable to work with.

Cons

The upper management doesn't seem to care about providing a quality experience for the customers and considers the staff to be disposable. During the hiring process I was told that there would be a 90 day review and a bump in pay and commission and I have yet to see that months later. Efforts to bring it up with the manager are brushed off and I'm told to bring it up with the DM who also ignores it. I am not the only employee who has dealt with this. One worker who regularly comes out on top district wide for sales still only makes minimum wage even after a year. There is not positive reinforcement from the management. The computers in my location will not reliably run the systems Sprint uses for sales and repairs and there is no intention to replace them. The carpet is stained and dirty, there is never enough stock in the store, and the DM regularly turns to thermostat to wildly uncomfortable temperatures (it has regularly been over 75 in the store) in order to save money as their pay is dependent on the store's profit margins. I was asked by management to lie to the customers in order meet district sales goals on more than once. The long and short of it is that Universal Wireless does not provide the tools required to do the job that is asked and does not compensate on competitive level.

Provide positive feedback to employees, give employees the tools to do their jobs in a atmosphere that encourages buying, and pay a competitive wage.

An unfortunate 9 months. I hope others read this.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Grandville, MI

I worked at Universal Wireless full-time (less than an year)

Pros

On the sales floor the company appears very positive due mostly to your middle management. Most managers are willing to schedule around your needs. If you can withstand the urge to quit long enough, you will probably get promoted to a manager's position.

Cons

Upper management uses their lines of communication as shields to deflect any need of a direct answer. Pay/commission formula is a secret known only to upper management. There is a lack of sales coaching beyond that which corporate provides. The company uses "bait and switch" tactics in getting sales reps motivated but then do not provide the promised bonus.

Do not use cheap labor as a means to guarantee profits; this will only cause the best employees to leave for a corporate store where the pay is better.

Universal Wireless is a great opportunity if you're a fugitive with a Federal Offense on your record.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Universal Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back, easy. Some locations and managers are easier to tolerate than others.

Cons

Micro managed constantly, lots of screaming, horrible pay and benefits. Working in a dealer environment is stupid. It makes more sense to become a Corporate Sales Representative because you handle the same amount of stress but at least get paid way more. In this particular company it is a political organization. One owner and five to six different important managers who make a livable salary, and then tons of employees. These guys are very shady with their practices and procedures. They are required to uphold a corporate compliance, but they cut every corner possible.

Promote from within and create an incentive to work hard. Instead of punching in and punching out.

Part Time Job ONLY!

Former Employee - Associate Sales Representative in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Associate Sales Representative in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Universal Wireless

Pros

1. staff was friendly and willing to help
    2. hours were good
    3. we were able to play with the phones at work and have hands on experience

Cons

1. manager conducted meetings as a 3rd grade teacher
    2. manager was barely at store location
    3. manager was biased and let grudges get in the way of professional judgement
    4. i would be at 3 different locations during the week, with changing schedules

employees on the sales team should be able to sign contracts with customers for (upgrades) phones even if the customer isn't the account owner.
    the uniform for girls was not flattering! please change the dress code for women! my polo was very wide and short.