UniversalPegasus International

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Philip Luna

Pros
  • Friendly and comfortable work environment with people that get along well (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits and 401k, 9/80 work schedule, some really good people work there (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Everybody from the upper management to the security guy are terrific people and the company cares about people (in 4 reviews)

• Things could be better as there has been quite a turnaround in senior management staff since I was there (in 3 reviews)

Horrible!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at UniversalPegasus International

Pros

That pay was good while it lasted. There was a nice deli downstairs to get lunch. That truly is all I can say good about the company. And I really searched..

Cons

Far outweighs the pay. The work was beyond meaningless. Deadlines were unreasonable. You had to go around almost daily and beg for work, and charge codes. If you were on overhead, it wasn't very long because you would get fired and they would use some lame excuse that wasn't even close to being true, so they wouldn't have to pay severance or unemployment. Legal? Yes, in a right to work state such as Texas. Ethical? Nope. Truly a bad experience and not worth the lofty salary (probably won't last long anyway). HR is a joke, and vicious. Management are not even qualified, they promote their buddies. Watch your back, or better yet, don't even consider stopping here. I've talked with other colleagues that have worked here and this is pretty much a consensus. I heard they even cut the 401k matching. Losers.

Advice to Management

Do the industry a favor, look in the mirror and do something right and ethical for change.

Project Management

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Standard salary and benefits, nice co-workers.

Cons

The entire company seems to be a revolving door. Lay offs are common. Obsolete software, a lot of manual work...ridiculous! Management personnel with the exception of a couple of people is relatively new to the company. Not a good working environment as the sense of instability is always present.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to start!

Tough market, bad prospects

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time

Pros

The people over there seemed nice enough. When you could actually get projects to work on, some of it was actually interesting....

Cons

There were very few projects to go around, business development was not doing a good job. Even though the people seemed nice, many of them didn't seem to be willing to lend help. Overall, it was not a collaborative environment.

Advice to Management

Institute better training programs, be more willing to help out newer employees with more clear instructions as to what the deliverables should be.

Very Poor Management

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at UniversalPegasus International (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees. Most of them are laidoff now!!!

Cons

No Management, No Training, No system, ...

Advice to Management

Your Employees are humans too !!!

Not a quality and ethical company to work for

Former Employee - Engineer III in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Houston, TX

I worked at UniversalPegasus International

Pros

Good people, good location, good parking space, good office space

Cons

Management sucks, lack of management and business development, it is more political than professional, they keep non qualified managers in office for a long time because upper management also lacks business skills. its like you keep my back i keep yours in a wrong way. No job stability, no training program. You may get thrown in the bus quite often. sink or swim situation. They hire one non efficient and retired professional engineers and pay them less than standard to advertised they have professional engineers in staff and college graduate do the jobs. I have had one next to my office for a long time and dude would take nap every afternoon behind his desk for an hour. everyone knew but no one cared to say anything. As far as I know he is still there. God bless the projects he stamps. They better have a good insurance policy. I don't recommend this place if you care about your integrity and your business ethics.

Advice to Management

Resign and let the right and professional people do the job.

Once proud company coming off the rails.....

I worked at UniversalPegasus International

Pros

Very few come to mind as compared to Cons.

Cons

Inept management at all levels. Lack of respect for employees and for clients.

Advice to Management

Thorough housecleaning at all managment levels required to right this sinking ship.

most demoralizing, meaningless job immangineable

Current Employee - Designer II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Designer II in Houston, TX

I have been working at UniversalPegasus International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

uhh, paycheck? (for now) They had a pretty good 401K but reduced the match. You are off between Christmas and New years ( You have to charge it to PTO)

Cons

No management capability whatsoever, you have to beg for charge numbers, it is as bad as the reviews posted. . Today ,a New Low!

An email came from senior management today telling employees to go to glass door and post positive comments to sway the negative (truthful) comments- NO KIDDING!

It is so bad management is begging and bullying people to post phony praise out of fear for their job.Don't believe any phony good comments you see after this post. I have seen people set up time after time and fired here. Your manager usually is too busy to assign you work. Too much overhead and you are terminated. Chaotic, unorganized and miserable. Politics are taken to a new low. If you do get work it is usually due in some unreasonable amount of time. Truly one of the worse places in Houston to work.

Advice to Management

Maybe get rid of 2 or 3 vice presidents and 5 or 6 deputy directors or however many duplicate bosses you have. Not sure why you need 2 or 3 divisions competing with one another for the same job.Especially when they hate one another.

Ratings speak for itself

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

May be a bit of higher paid salary, but they would probably charge this to the clients anyways.

Cons

This is a typical "permanent staff look-alike contract worker's place". They lure you in with a competitive salary and charge it back to the client. Once project is over, out the door you go. Management is non-existent, as every man for himself attitude is easily perceived. Once you're in their door, you need to find a "sponsor" regardless of your competency to be on the "project roster list". Or else, you'll be gone out the door, either forced or by your will. No such thing as development. They are on the borderline between being an actual corporate organization and scammers. Do yourself a favor and not even look in this direction unless, you want some quick bucks earned from contract type work (by the way, good luck with this). My lessons learned the hard way and I am trying my best to protect the innocent mass.

Advice to Management

Can you even call yourself "management" when you're not listening or doing anything to fix the cancerous morale environment?

Extremely too heavy, unpredictable, untrustworthy and disorganized. Revolving door.

Former Employee - Support Staff in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits for full time staff. Recruiters will negotiate aggressively to bring talented people onboard. Most of the fellow staff/employees are very friendly and intelligent people.

Cons

Management is horrible and very political. You will often feel like a pawn in a petty game where management staff are primarily concerned in their own job security and furthering their own careers at any cost, with staff frequently getting caught in the crossfire. The resulting politics and fear amongst staff will often take precedence over actually producing quality work. It's not uncommon to receive conflicting direction from your many "bosses" and you will be frequently hindered in getting your job done efficiently as a result. UPI does not value employees and will lay off even the most talented staff when business is slow, especially if you are deemed "overhead" I.E support staff, HR, accounting, permitting, etc. Our recently acquired Calgary office (formerly IPPCL) is slowly but surely following in the footsteps of the Houston (read the other reviews here) as I am witnessing the departure of many good people, both due to being pushed out and also many leaving of their own accord. I've always liked management in Calgary but they are slowly losing their grip on this office to Houston. The Calgary president (who now reports to Houston due to the acquisition) had a policy of keeping good staff whenever he could even when work was slow. This was so that he could retain loyal and skilled workers who were ready to tackle the next big project as soon as business picked up again. This philosophy seems to be changing as UPI management in Houston slowly takes more and more control with each and every "alignment meeting" they host with Calgary staff. Do yourself (and your career) a favour and stay clear of this place unless you are looking for some quick "in-and-out" contract work.

Advice to Management

While I doubt that any advice coming from an employee would actually be heeded by management, I would say that fear and politics is the biggest internal threat to the company. Focus on fixing the company culture from within, I.E focus on doing what you were actually hired to do as opposed to chasing large bonuses and short term personal gain at the expense of others. Staff will only be as loyal as you are to them.

Revolving Door!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is over market, but you are basically selling your soul. As soon as a project ends, you will be laid off and overpriced

Cons

There is no loyalty to the employees, they staff big for a project and then release quick when it is over. They say the company is doing better now, but that is a sign of the market picking up, not the business itself doing better. Big pay and big bonuses are paid at the top (yes, we hard workers know about that), kills morale. The CEO is coldhearted and unfeeling about the staff, current and former, but he is high on himself; you can see his picture and name variations on many of the company initiatives (Uncle Sam picture ring a bell with anyone?). They cut the benefits back, 401k matching percentage, which once was really good, was affected as well.

Advice to Management

Some of the top management has left on their own; Business Development, Engineering, Finance, HR, Project Management to name a few. These people were making good money, so why leave? Because of the non-loyal, treat you like dirt, "I'm not listening, because you are beneath me" attitude of the CEO. Well Mr. CEO, one day you will realize you are only as successful as the people doing the actual work. When this ship sinks, you will probably still be the captain, but you may have no loyal crew. Curious as to whether you can come off your pedestal throne long enough to even notice.

RSS Feed </> Embed