University College London

www.ucl.ac.uk

University College London Reviews in London, England

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Michael Arthur

Pros
  • It has a relaxed environment with flexible working hours and sociable co workers (in 5 reviews)

• Very flexible, good work life balance, interesting job (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little opportunity for career advancement and senior management was less than helpful in terms of career advice and guidance (in 2 reviews)

• Very old style pay scheme and promotion system; Can be isolated from the faculty level; Staying too long in the lab (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights
40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic - truly a global institution

Research Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCentral London location on Bloomsbury surrounded by great food! A relaxed attitude of excellence which is unique to this place.

ConsIts very much up to you what you get out of the doctorate programme. No one will push you or stop you - so work hard and pace yourself its a marathon.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadreship keep up the good work but get rid of dead wood. There are definitely academics with strong reputations and records of excellence but those that don't cut it should be addressed and put on improvement programmes to ensure they progress or leave. All academics should turn up to departmental seminars where students and post docs present - they need input from their peers and mentors - thats a basic standard that should be upheld without excuses in all educational institutions.

Postdoc at UCL

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood salary, many opportunities for personal and professional growth

ConsIf you have a problem, you might need to talk to several different persons

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication between the single departments and the general office

Best place to be a research assistant

Casual Research Assistant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFlexibility, best sources of information, updated library, inspirational staff

Consthe payroll system is outdated, access cards too restrictive

Advice to Senior Managementperhaps try to empower more the entry-level staff

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

studying

PhD Student (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosfreedom, good researchers, good work/life balance and flexible hours

Consresearch facilities may be limited due to space limitation n funding (depending on subjects of study)

Stimulating, supportive and intellectually-driven work environment

Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat urban location, prestigious institution, talented student contingent

Conslack of abundant facilities in some cases, slightly low salary for prestige and flagship university status

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

gd team to work in

Network Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosexcellent people and great environment

Conspeople have no ambition to drive the business

World-class research in a world city

Principal Research Associate (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAutonomy, respect, career progression, amiable expert colleagues, and a culture built on enlightenment, equality, and independence from government and religion.

ConsLondon is an expensive place to live: all these opportunities don't come for free. Space is limited, so quite a few researchers work in densely-packed open-plan rooms.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the facilities up to modern standards - invest in the infrastructure of the university

Very satisfied

Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (F6) (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt is quite an international university. Here we can make friends across the world and they are all friendly. The facilities are nice, and the teachers are great. There are also many career-related events for the students to better prepare for their future.

ConsAt the centre of London, the campus is relatively small. Actually there is no campus at all - buildings span in different areas.

In the centre of London, nice people, to difficult to get permanent position

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsNice location, interesting people but as friends.

ConsThe management and PIs are not busy with mentoring.

Great place to work

Research Associate (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood work environment, very smart people, very relaxed

ConsCan be too relaxed at times, lack of communication from peers

Worked for University College London? Contribute to the Community!