University Federal Credit Union

Updated Jan 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tony C. Budet

Growing pains but still an amazing company

I have been working at University Federal Credit Union

ProsEmployee growth training? Invest in its employee.

ConsSales pressure. Trickle down of pressure can be felt. You can get burnt out.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the philosophy that made this institution so amazing.

Used to be great, but now...meh

Austin, TX

I have been working at University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI like my friends here
Best coworkers I ever had
We have all supported each other through these turbulent times but I'm afraid I can't bear it much longer.

ConsNever thought I would ever dream of leaving but ufcu has gone downhill over the last couple yrs
Used to be like church, now like prison labor camp with factory quotas
I don't like what it has become-even worse than banks. I need joy back in my life

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the glory days back when Tony was in charge. He is the sweetest man and the best we've ever had. Guess you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

If you are a yes-man, you will survive, though marginalized

I worked at University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking hours are reasonable.
There are plenty of good people there, sincerely just trying to earn a living and struggling.
If you are on a good team, it is possible to ignore the crumbling of the once-great institution around you.

ConsSome top leadership were completely incompetent. Guess it's all about buddy-buddy.
The new CIO seemed like an unfriendly, bitter individual. His whole IT team is talking about leaving.
Anyone who ever publicly disagreed with management was gone within a year. If you are a yes-man, you will survive. Just keep your head down and pretend you believe they know what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk is cheap and everyone knows when hollow commitments are being made. Employees are not dumb. Be honest and stop accusing people of being unable to cope with change in a hopeless attempt to redirect blame for missteps in your vision. So glad to be outta there.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

UFCU is NOT the place to work right now. Wait a year or two for the transition to complete.

Austin, TX

ProsNice, new building with a covered parking garage at a convenient location (Mopac/Steck).
Good aspirational values, mission and goals.
Managers and supervisors are generally good about pumping you up and giving your the support you need unless prevented from doing so by a VP (depends on which VP area you are in).

ConsThe President is stepping back and his replacement, the former CFO is struggling.
Good guy, but his decision-making ability has been hindered by his tendency to listen too closely to some and discount too much the contributions of others. This has resulted in the departure of a couple of Senior Vice Presidents, a Vice President, a CIO, a couple of senior managers and a score of other employees. His ambition to make a big splash through a maniacal focus on the numbers (instead of employees) could put the credit union's future in jeopardy if the trend continues.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge and reward the contributions and sacrifices of employees and never forgot that employees are members of the credit union too. Some of the VPs are openly disrespectful and cold-blooded toward their people...these VPs need to be start being good examples.

Loved working there!

Applications Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at University Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

ProsThe organization is very focused on its people and members/customers. Good benefits. The IT team is very focused on keeping its customers happy without being a sweat shop.

ConsPay is probably a little below where it should be. PTO policy is outdated, making salaried employees call in sick when they need a day off.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! It's a great place to work and I was sad to have to leave.

Good Company with a lot of involvement.

I worked at University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

ProsPromotions come quickly. Very involved with community. You will eventually meet everyone in the company through numerous meetings and events.

ConsHealth benefits not the greatest. Sometimes hard to reach certain people or departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the constant feedback from all workers. Minor conflicts do happen, but overall, keep up the great job.

Great company to work for!

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a great company. Great teams of people at all levels of the organization. Very much into involving everyone in groups to help shape the company, products/services, and such. Members are a priority and everyone loves their job. There is not alot of turnover, that says alot...

ConsI cannot think of any cons. I don't know why you cannot submit without putting any words in the cons box...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

UFCU, the bank posing as a credit union

I worked at University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey have decent health benefits and time off. They do have 10 federal holidays off as well. The dress code is business casual.

ConsThe place is top heavy with mid to senior level managers, good look breaking into that club since only favorites are given any attention. The policies are reactive rather than proactive and it's not usually in favor of the membership. The influx of Wells Fargo refugees is mind boggling but they want to sell products rather than provide quality service.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop creating management positions for your cronies and root out the institutionalized incompetence that is tolerated at all levels.

Great people but slowly becoming a bank

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at University Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are amazing people because this organization is all about member service and doing what's best for people. If you are looking for a mission, the credit union cause is a great one to fight for. You have a great deal of freedom to make a difference in people's lives. The CEO is a phenomenal motivational leader and there are many talented leaders throughout the organization.

ConsOver the past few years they have increased hiring from banks and unfortunately that is changing the culture of this credit union. The focus has changed substantially from "Relationships are all there is" to "Numbers are all that matter."

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of the mission! The credit union is not-for-profit and it's purpose is to serve the underserved. Stop focusing on the wealthy. That will never be a credit union niche, nor should it be. Promote your talent from within. Don't hire from organizations whose cultures are the opposite of a credit union. When all you care about is numbers, you are officially a bank.

A wonderful place to work

Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

ProsAs the others have stated what makes UFCU a great place are the employees and the members. The benefits are great, as is the whole office environment. Most mangers hire compatible people into their respective departments, which seem to cohesively bring a true teamwork attitude to the department. I always felt engaged and listened to by upper management with my ideas.

ConsFor the market share that UFCU possesses it does seem pay is on the lower end of the scale, and I do know that discourse does exist in other departments due largely to the attitude of the immediate managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep maintaing that solid sense of direction. When employees come with a grievance try to make sure all parties feel a sense of resolution.

Worked for University Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University Federal Credit Union reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University Federal Credit Union CEO Tony C. Budet. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by University Federal Credit Union employees.