University Federal Credit Union

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
3.3

Tony C. Budet

They would listen to your ideas and were very helpful in training.

I worked at University Federal Credit Union

Pros

I worked here as a temp for 7 months in the collections dept. This was a contract position and if I hadn't relocated to Florida I'm sure they would have hired me in. They were very good in the training dept. and excellent on the wages. They had meetings continously to discuss problem areas and gave employees incentives. I would apply there again if I moved back to the area.

Cons

People in the collections dept. had to work evenings. I guess they needed someone to as we did business in other time zones.

Keep up the good work!!

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at University Federal Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

From the top down the company provides excellent paths for growth and personal development. I would highly recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

Salaries are a bit low, but that is expected working for a Credit Union. Despite this, the benefits and intangibles are incredible.

None

Great Credit Union Struggles to Become a Corporate Bank

Current Employee - Teller in Austin, TX

I have been working at University Federal Credit Union part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, some great managers, great members. UFCU has an incredible opportunity to lead in the Austin area when it comes to Credit Unions and member service. Tuition reimbursement, paid vacation for part time employees.

Cons

Massive influx of Wells Fargo employees and managers. This is to increase numbers because these people come from high pressure sales environment and this is what the replacement CEO wants. UFCU other industry is the rumors mills. UFCU is recently having problems staffing the teller line due to poor management techniques. UFCU wishes to no longer hire students, despite being University Federal Credit Union. Poor health care options for part-time employees that does not meet Affordable Care Act guidelines for minimum health insurance.

Stick to core values, providing excellent member service does not mean offering a product to every member that walks through the door. Kick Wells Fargo management style to the curb. Be more active with community and provide increased level of member service. I also advise UFCU to continue to lead other local credit unions by example. I have worked with other credit unions in the area and a member with more than one local credit union and by far UFCU has amazing employees, and incredible member service compared to other institutions.

Good company

Former Employee - ABM in Galveston, TX
    Former Employee - ABM in Galveston, TX

I worked at University Federal Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great managers and co workers

Cons

Long hours and high sales goals

Great

I worked at University Federal Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great People, Great work environment.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

Great Company with great perks!

Phenomenal Culture and Executive Team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at University Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Executive staff and leadership are top notch. Leadership and development is one of the best in the Austin workforce. The management believes in servant leadership and will be the first ones to dive in to get the job done. They lead by example. Benefits are one of the best and HR truly cares about the well-being of the staff. Tony Budet, President, is one of the finest people I've ever met. Truly inspirational and down to earth. Rare to find.

Cons

Pay could be more competitive in the industry. As long as you do your job and contribute as needed, you'll love working here. Most people who leave want to come back because they realize the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side.

Becoming more and more like those we are so adamantly against.

Current Employee - Teller in Austin, TX

I have been working at University Federal Credit Union full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and a lot of structure and training.

Cons

Hours are long, sales pressure is high and management is losing touch with core mission.

Get back to what the credit union is meant to be - a credit union by the members for the members. Stop headhunting from banks with high sales pressure environments and promote and nourish internally. Provide more competitive pay and quit focusing too much on commission.

Generally enjoyable place to work and feel like you are positively contributing to humanity.

I have been working at University Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great co-workers, reasonable pay, bank holidays.

Cons

High pressure sales in Ops, micromanagement.

Focus on employee happiness by enhancing work-life balance across the credit union. Preferably by giving more telecommute and work week hour flexibility.

The best financial institution to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

On my first day with UFCU i met more higher ups and more exposure than 6 years at my previous employer. The company is really moving forward so their is plenty of room for opportunity and development. 50% of all higher level positions must be filled with internal applicants which shows dedication to better it's people. The 401k matching and healthcare are amazing as well.

Cons

Systems aren't always the best and since they are growing so rapidly, occasional growing pains are felt.

Remember to keep UFCU how it is and on its current path as we are doing great!

Used to be great, but now...meh

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at University Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like my friends here
    Best coworkers I ever had
    We have all supported each other through these turbulent times but I'm afraid I can't bear it much longer.

Cons

Never thought I would ever dream of leaving but ufcu has gone downhill over the last couple yrs
    Used to be like church, now like prison labor camp with factory quotas
    I don't like what it has become-even worse than banks. I need joy back in my life

Bring the glory days back when Tony was in charge. He is the sweetest man and the best we've ever had. Guess you don't know what you've got till it's gone.