University Health System

Updated June 23, 2014

2.6

George B Hernández Jr.

Great co-workers, terrible management

Pros

great co-workers, you get paid base pay plus $1 for 2nd shift plus $2 more on weekends, you get paid at all. long lunch breaks, co workers typically cover for each other

Cons

doesnt matter what you do or how you do it, its never right. work never ends, trays stacked on top of trays, doesnt help that 1st shift (not everyone, but mostly) slacks alot leaving most of the work for 2nd and 3rd shift. management is unreasonable and illogical and sets impossible standards. scrub techs and nurses lose instruments and can never find them when needed, and they expect us to solve problems for them although they dont correspond to us.

hire a supervisor whos not lazy and knows what theyre doing

Disrespectful and rude to new nurses

Former Employee - Nurse  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Nurse in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Training and experience are good

Cons

I have experienced the most horrible degrading rudeness and disrespect from older nurses in this company. I was a new nurse and I have never in my life met rude and inconsiderate people until now. Some are ok but lots of back stabbing and traitors. Management only believes what the older nurses say, new nurses appear to be lying or incompetent in their eyes. I feel degraded. Lots of drama and lies. People lying to each other. One time nurses made up stories just to get another nurse terminated. Other nurses acts like a boss and can dictate or make up stories manager would not even check what's really going on down their office. Nurses treats people under cheap government insurances poorly with disrespect! Cant take it anymore that's why I left!!!

Overall it has been good, but I believe that is due to the people that I have the pleasure of working with.

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Mainly the people, most are very friendly. The hours that are offered are also very nice. Since I am still in school during the mornings, I work second shift without any issues.

Cons

Due to a hiring freeze there are some days that we are shorthanded in the lab. This same reason also means that its easily possible to rack up way more than 40 hours a week, especially if working weekends. That can be a con or a pro depending on how you see it.

Please try to hire more people so that all the shifts can be adequately covered. Otherwise the hospital is ran very well. Can't wait for the new tower to open.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible experience

Former Employee - Senior Quality Data Analyst  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Data Analyst in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Didn't find any pros for the company

Cons

Stupid people accumulated in the company

An illusion of success..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

If you know the right people whether you are qualified or not you could be there to stay with great retirement benefits...Getting into the right group is key..

Cons

Disappointing upper management, a cliquish, good old-boy environment. Not a fair place to work, individuals are moved around and promoted depending on if they are in the "club".. All others not welcome so do not apply.

Cath Lab

Pros

It's a great place to start, you learn a lot

Cons

If you don't have the right answers to questions don't bother

Give the people a chance when they are trying.

This company need a better management , HR doesn't do anything! for the supply department

Former Employee - Supply  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Supply in San Antonio, TX

Pros

make many friends, and people from other department are nicer that the departments at the supply depart.

Cons

they pay is so low!!!!, and the raises are .05 cents per year...its like a drama world!!!

HR needs to check people making comments about races, and when is reported don't do anything about it.

I had a Good Experience

Former Employee - Professional  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Professional in San Antonio, TX

Pros

I expereinced Good training, and good working culture.

Cons

I really dont have any to really mention.

Fast-paced healthcare.

Current Employee - EC Pct  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - EC Pct in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The benefits are good, pay is average. You get to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds, there is always overtime available.

Cons

Really,if you enjoy working in an extremely fast-paced ER, then there aren't many cons. Compared to other companies I have worked for, the training is very short.

Horrible changes

Current Employee - Staff III RN  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Staff III RN in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Busy, teaching Level I where nursing has a voice with Docs. Care for the most needy and sickest patients for 22 counties

Cons

After Magnet Journey was over and Magnet status achieved hospital management all changed and returned to how it was 25 years ago (when I started). Nurses are terrorized by Management, Current course is to run of the expensive senior nurses since they are paid max 38.11 hour but UHS has an excellent retirement 80/20 plan,. If you make it to working nearly 30 -35 years you will be costly. They are committed to building a new trauma tower they really cannot begin to afford.

ER CND must stop terrorizing employees. She has a long history of treating senior staff with disrespect when she was a PCC and currently is very malicious.

Worked for University Health System? Contribute to the Community!