University Hospital (Cincinnati)

University Hospital (Cincinnati) President & CEO W. Brian Gibler
W. Brian Gibler

1. So far, so good

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at University Hospital (Cincinnati) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to advance, teaching environment. Many avenues you can take for your career within the company

Cons

Occasional disorganized staffing, nurses are Union employees

2. Good

I have been working at University Hospital (Cincinnati)

Pros

Management really
    Iistens to their employees

Cons

Pay need to be increased to be competitive

Advice to Management

Increase pay

3. Wonderful, fulfilling experience as an RN

Current Employee - Emergency Department RN in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Emergency Department RN in Augusta, GA

I have been working at University Hospital (Cincinnati)

Pros

Flexibility, wide variety of illnesses to care and manage, excellent management

Cons

high volume and short staff at times

5. Does not follow its own Core values"RITE".

Current Employee - The Drake Center in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - The Drake Center in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Very good doctors, has potential to be a top rated life changing organization.

Cons

Company morale is at an all time low. Management is horrible and not held accountable for high turnover and understaffing. If you are an employee whom addresses unethical issues or management they will find a way to fire you even if you are a top performer. Employees are afraid to speak up in fear of losing their jobs.

Advice to Management

Hold Departmental Management accountable. VALUE good employees and reassure them they are safe to bring up concerns about management or work environment. See to it that UC is holding up to the "RITE" core Values.

6. Management utilizes a double standard for black and white employees, favoring the black employee.

I worked at University Hospital (Cincinnati)

Pros

This is a great place for a nurse to get invaluable patient care experience. The sickest of the sick go to University Hospital. They have a Great neuro unit and trauma unit. Any nurse wanting experience in these areas would gain invaluable experience at University Hospital.

Cons

Where to begin. Management does not care about the senior nurses and will do anything to discourage them from staying. Working for a hospital where you have to pay union dues for a union that is totally ineffective (the dues go up substantially every year) is definitely a negative. The union actually gets in the way of progress at the hospital. Inexperienced managers are put into positions that they simply cannot work in effectively or even safely. I could go on and on. I was there for 30 years and only stayed because I was in the PERS system and wound up getting an awesome retirement, which I have received raises every year since retiring. The last 6 years I was at University I received a raise (miniscule because newer nurses were given a higher percentage raise than senior nurses) the last year I was there.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with you bedside staff and appreciate them. Don't promote people to positions that they are not qualified to handle.

7. I have worked here for several years and have since seen the massive decline of morale and competence of management!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at University Hospital (Cincinnati) part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no benefits, we pay our own, someone off the street can get treated without a copay but I work there and have a $200.00 copay if I get sick and have to go to the Er, then they harass you when you don't pay the bill on time. There are no perks, they bring people in who know nothing about our jobs or who we are to manage us and if they like you then you're OK and if they don't you're screwed! It's just ridiculous!

Cons

The con's are considerable, employee morale in the toilet, no incentive to do good, management always trying to find something wrong to fire you for, never anything good, management wants you to do as they say not do as they do, there are so many hypocrites here, and if you have an opinion and are strong willed, forget it, management will find a way to get you on the unemployment line or worse they'll push you until you have to be on some kind of med's just to work here. There is absolutely no consistency, what's good for one employee is not good for another, you have PTO time that they fine you for if you take, so there are no sick days and no room for growth . The pay for anyone other than a nurse, doctor or management sucks and unless you are a nurse, doctor or management, you're virtually invisible and management can just do to you whatever they please. Good employees are punished and bad employees allowed to do whatever they want!

Advice to Management

Most of management in this place should be on the unemployment line, leadership does not look at these manager's stat's and the high turn over in departments, no one is held accountable for that. No one listens here unless it's to gossip about something, there is no professionalism anymore, everyone is just out to get everyone else, so it's every person for themselves,so unless you're on the "liked" list you're screwed! Learning to listen to your employees whether you like them or not, taking circumstances and work history into consideration and being consistent across the board would help, not running everyone to Human Resources for unreasonable and ridiculous things would also help, try being honest instead of deceitful and help your employees talk out their issues instead of trying to ruin their lives! People are afraid to speak up out of fear for their jobs, no one should have to put up with this kind of crap, people have seniority and vested time in here and no one wants to lose that by starting over so they stay because they have to, I want to stay here because I want to because they value me as an employee and not just another warm body to fill a position with!

8. Okay experience

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at University Hospital (Cincinnati) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teamwork is amazing and there are plenty of things to learn.

Cons

Stressful work and schedule can be difficult to control

Advice to Management

Come out of your office sometimes

9. Good training environment

Current Employee - Clinical Research in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Clinical Research in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at University Hospital (Cincinnati) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Clinically there are a lot of great people to work with and learn from.

Cons

Management can be troublesome to work with at times but that's anywhere

Advice to Management

Focus on developing employees knowledge and micromanage less.

10. Good could've been better

Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Euclid, OH
    Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Euclid, OH

I worked at University Hospital (Cincinnati) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Clean environment and nice people to work with.

Cons

Management did not seem caring

Advice to Management

To be more understanding and human

11. Good for trauma

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at University Hospital (Cincinnati) part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Level 1 trauma
    Bonus to all employees

Cons

Understaffed
    Mandatory call ins, even if you have requested off far in advance.