University Hospitals of Cleveland

University Hospitals of Cleveland CEO Tom Zenty III

Tom Zenty III

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I truly enjoyed working at University Hospitals of Cleveland, Main Campus

Department Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAutonomy as a Manager. Culture was great. Chance for advancement (if not at main campus, then up to other healthcare campuses)

ConsGood-ole-boys networking. Loyalty to advance employees who should not be advanced when newer staff are more qualified. Management that has been in place a long time who are ineffective.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just promote your buddies and friends whom you have long time working relationships with. By not giving younger staff (those with less seniority) a chance to move up from coordinator or supervisor ranks you cause discontent and resentment.

University Hospitals encourages employees to live the mission: to heal, to teach, to discover.

Department Manager (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUH provides development opportunities for employees at all levels. Benefits and perks are good. The environment is truly focused on providing the best possible patient care.

ConsLeadership puts too much responsibility on staff members and supervisors. Not enough resources to effectively and proactively manage day to day operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer appropriate support to middle leaders so they can effectively manage daily operations while also having time for strategic planning.

Clinical Nurse

Clinical Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland part-time for more than a year

ProsI loved my co-workers. Everyone was very helpful; this included upper management. I felt supported while working for UH and would definitely return to work there.

ConsThere was a lack of opportunities for professional growth available at UH. Which was unfortunate because I really enjoyed working for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I never had any real issues with the management team.

They have the potential to be great. They just aren't there yet.

Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee)

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for more than a year

ProsFair compensation and good benefits package.

ConsSome department are run excellently, while others are headed by people who are not the most competent, but merely have been there the longest. There is a don't ask, don't tell attitude when it comes to poor patient outcomes or poor employee training. The supervisors hide the problems from upper management so that nothing can really change.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture of the hospital that is described during new employee orientation is not what actually happens. You need to correct the disconnect. Perhaps sending your supervisors and long-term employees through it might help them to understand what you are working so hard to achieve.

I have worked in all of the major healthcare systems in Cleveland and am thrilled to be at the best one!

Cleveland, OH

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for less than a year

ProsEngaging leadership and mission-driven organization.

ConsI can't think of any cons at this point in time.

As an RN UH is wonderful hospital to work for that takes pride in developing an excellent nursing staff

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

Pros-Pays well comparable or more than surrounding hospital systems.
-Nurse development program is excellent and really prepares new nurses
-Teamwork is important and most of the employees are amazing to work with
-Both managers I have worked for have been wonderful and are genuinely concerned with their employees.

Cons-Rotating days/nights and every other weekend makes work/life balance difficult
-Seniority vacation selection makes getting the vacation week you want off difficult and when your new you are basically planning your vacation around work and not the other way around

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and include the nursing staff in the decision making process. I do not believe any of us enjoyed the shift from salaried to hourly and we really had no input on the matter.

Great place to learn and gain experience for a nursing student.

Nursing Assistant II (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland part-time for less than a year

ProsNurses work as a team with UAPs.

ConsThe demand and patient load can be excessive at times

Great, promotes independence and responsibility

Patient Account Representative (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

ProsNot being micro managed. Promotes independence and responsibilty.

Conssalary not up to par with responsibility

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease Salary, Change PTO time

Proud to be part of a Motivated, Talented and Driven Marketing & Communications Team

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNew leadership is just what the doctor ordered! After years of constant change in the CMO position, senior leadership initiated a nationwide search and delivered the finest CMO to date. He's accomplished, proven, a motivator and genuinely cares about his team. I believe he also has the respect of his peers, which has not been the case with previous CMOs. Furthermore, proven and successful leaders in Marketing, Physician Relations and Market Research have been brought in to take the Department and Hospital to new heights, and the results are already being seen. While senior leaders in the department - they all have displayed from day 1 a 'roll up your sleeves' and get the job done attitude which is a breath of fresh air. After 8 years, this is by far the most talent at the top we've had - and I am thankful. This Department has a tremendous amount of talent. Some of the hardest working people I've been around in my career, and I'm extremely proud to be a part of this team.

ConsA revolving door at the CMO position over the last 5 - 8 years. I believe that has finally been rectified. Heavy workload not always evenly distributed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Leadership needs to provide this Department with the funds it needs to get the job done. Listen to the advice and direction of the Department's leadership, as they are proven and will deliver results.

I loved my co-workers and my bosses they didn't micro-manage and were very open to new ideas.

Medical Technologist (Former Employee)

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNo micro-managing and room for moving up the ladder. Ungoing education, Everyone worked a as a team.

ConsReally no cons exceppt very busy.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for University Hospitals of Cleveland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University Hospitals of Cleveland reviews and ratings in Cleveland, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University Hospitals of Cleveland CEO Tom Zenty III. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by University Hospitals of Cleveland employees.