University Hospitals of Cleveland

Be The First To
Add Photos

University Hospitals of Cleveland CEO Tom Zenty III

Tom Zenty III

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance - some options to work remotely when needed"
    in 3 reviews
  • "great place to work different departments and floors"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Rotating days/nights and every other weekend makes work/life balance difficult"
    in 4 reviews
  • "If you work at the main campus a good amount of your paycheck will go to parking (your daily workout) and the awful high price food in the cafeteria"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I loved my co-workers and my bosses they didn't micro-manage and were very open to new ideas.

Medical Technologist (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsNo micro-managing and room for moving up the ladder. Ungoing education, Everyone worked a as a team.

ConsReally no cons exceppt very busy.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Mediocre from an IT perspective

Application Analyst (Current Employee)
    Shaker Heights, OH

ProsTruly care about Patients and the community.
    Some managers are good. Many aren't.
    CEO is very good.

ConsIT has been through 3 CIOs since my hire, each successively worse than the last. IT needs a more progressive leader.
    Work/life balance is not a high priority for IT leaders. Hence, I would say IT is not family friendly at all towards it's employees.
    ALL resources are going to EMR, which is a disappointing money pit. As a result, other applications are suffering and not getting the resources that they need.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a heart with your employees. They are adults, not children.

I worked with fabulous professionals, the job content was interesting, and I was allowed to grow professionally.

Pharmacist (Former Employee)

ProsAble to grow professionally and academically.

ConsSome employees difficult to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give everyone a chance. Carefully investigate a situation before decisions made.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rn in the pediatric Ed and on the critical care transport team, Charge Nurse in ED

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)
    Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsMy experience with previous coworkers was enjoyable and knowledgeable. Supportive and caring

Consinexperience of some workers, lack of team work of some coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam meetings and encouragement to improve the care of the patient and the need for team work to increase morality of the employees.

If I knew then what I know now...

Marketing Director (Current Employee)
    Shaker Heights, OH

ProsThere is great potential here and the administrative staff is so kind. The front line marketing staff is young, bright, and motivated.

ConsThe unreasonable amount of gossip and the huge salary disparities between marketing directors is ridiculous. The lack of leadership adds to the feeling of this place being a mad house running in all directions and getting nowhere. As a marketing director I am being paid $120k per year plus a nominal bonus. There are directors that have been here since before the restructuring who's work wasn't serving the hospitals' needs and therefore cause the need for a restructuring who are being paid $175k per year w/ bonus. I am a money motivated worker and the fact that someone less talented than me is being paid 30% more than me is extremely demotivating. What makes it worse is that the gossip is so bad there that she is constantly rubbing the salary difference in my face and using the salary difference to leverage seniority. This isn't the case across the board though. The web director has been here since pre restructuring and clearly earns her salary. The most frustrating part is that the CMO is so totally oblivious to his surroundings that I would be surprised to learn that he is even aware of whether it's day or night.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop blowing money on these pointless corporate retreats and just pay people what they're worth. Control the gossip. Make sure each staff member is earning what hey are being paid.

Strong hospital, weak marketing department

Media Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsThe hospital itself is an exciting organization to be a part of. There are lots of really smart scientists and physicians that you come into contact with on a daily basis.

ConsWhile I can't speak to the whole marketing department, I can report that within my area of marketing (Branding and Advertising) things are abysmal. The advertising team is deeply connected to the romance of careers in advertising but produces nothing practical and is failing to build any brand equity for an organization that saves live and has otherwise earned the unrealized brand recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't accept advice within the marketing organization, so I would just warn readers that the place is rampant with nepotism and if your looking to maintain a certain pace of career progression you should avoid this company no matter how enticing the job offer. Keep in mind, they are marketers, they can make any job 'sound' enticing.

Marketing Specialist

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

ProsThe marketing department at UH has been attempting to transition and rebuild its marketing effort for more that a year now. The pros are that the new staff and new talent are absolutely awesome. They bring a wealth of industry expertise to this strategic effort. The marketing organization is being rebuild in a hierarchy that is found to be standard at comparable institutions.

ConsThe transition is being implemented in a haphazard way. Rather than bringing in a new CMO and purging the existing staff to make room for fresh talent, as is customary in these kinds of transitions, the CMO has chosen to let the transition period drag on for 15 months and counting. Weak director level and manager level members of the old staff have been kept on and are proving to be a burdensome on the new leadership in their implementation of fresh ideas and a clear vision that will bring this brand into national prominence.

Advice to Senior ManagementUHHS is suffering from 'middle hospital syndrome', On one side of town there is a celebrated and world renown research hospital and quickly expanding academic medical center. On the other side there is a community based and county operated health system which is also growing quickly. UH is sandwiched between the two and has to decide whether it is going to lose market share from both ends or add market share to both ends. If the plan is to add market share than a complete team has to be assembled to get that done. Now is not the time for the organization to be giving deference to years of service or offering employment as a form of charity.

unpleasant working experience

Doctors Secretary II (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

Prosfor the most part the physicians there have been wonderful to work for, interested in employees and fair

Consthe management is comprised of "micro" managers who are not very interested in employees on any level. there is disinterest in providing fair wages, benefits or giving credit where it is due to those who have worked hard. there is false interest in feedback from employees who are constantly barraged with questionnaires regarding the facility and whether they are happy working there and what could be done to make things better. employees are constantly made to take testing regarding compliance issues and this is enforced during busy working hours, taking employees away from doing their work. business decisions are already made in advance without employee feedback, despite going through the motions by having various employee "meetings" prior to these changes.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagers and supervisors should have more experience and schooling and know how to communicate properly with employees and physicians; they should also be available when needed and take more of an interest in the work for which they were hired.

Very good experience, if you are willing to learn you can maximize your potential.

Department Clerk (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsGrowth, you can continue to advance your career and use your talents. Company includes employees in their acheivements, with acknowledgements, bonuses, shared celebrations. There are many opportunities to find good positions, once you are in the system you can transfer to where you are best suited.

ConsI have not really had any downsides though working as a PRN full-time was a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allow those that are PRN flexibility in their schedules to keep appointments and perhaps make up that time within the week as long as there is work available.

Its HeaIt's helth Care

ProsFlexible, collegial, clean, great team

ConsIt's healthcare! Long hours, hard work

Worked for University Hospitals of Cleveland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University Hospitals of Cleveland reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University Hospitals of Cleveland CEO Tom Zenty III. All 80 reviews posted anonymously by University Hospitals of Cleveland employees.