University Hospitals of Cleveland

Updated August 24, 2014

3.4

University Hospitals of Cleveland CEO Tom Zenty III
Tom Zenty III

Pros
  • Good benefits, meet people, good experience (in 5 reviews)

• Good work-life balance - some options to work remotely when needed (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating days/nights and every other weekend makes work/life balance difficult (in 5 reviews)

• If you work at the main campus a good amount of your paycheck will go to parking (your daily workout) and the awful high price food in the cafeteria (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A & R Specialist

Former Employee - Activation  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Activation in Cleveland, OH

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful company to work for. The staff and personnel are awesome.

Cons

Very poor IT Leadership. No work - Life balance in the IT department.

Horrible

Former Employee - Secretary
    Former Employee - Secretary

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are wonderful and fun to work with

Cons

Management is promoted r/t who they suck up to and not their qualifications

Look at your management teams and whether they are qualified

Patient Account Specialist

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time

Pros

Hours, co workers, no weekends (certain locations)

Cons

Pay, micro management, advancement, benefits could be better

Pay more

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RN

Current Employee - RN  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - RN in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lovely place to work. You feel as though they care about the needs of the nursing staff.

Cons

Raises did not occur frequent enough

Good place to work

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland

Pros

I was regularly recognized for my work and felt appreciated. I never ran out of things to do and had very flexible hours. As a student, I could go in whenever I wanted and take time off for exams if needed.

Cons

Not everyone received the same recognition. For example, I worked in a lab and in the administrative offices and it seemed as though the lab employees were less cared about than the office employees. There should be more even standards.

Pay more attention to the employees and show them that you care. Simple things such as an occasional lunch would make all the difference. Also, more attention should be paid to employee safety. The lab I worked in had no where near proper ventilation.

Get Go of Laboratory

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician  in  Bedford, OH
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Bedford, OH

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laboratory in Bedford is simple majority of specimens are sent to University Hospitals Cleveland. Training is easy. Majority of MTs are about to retire or retiring age with that being said hospital system will hire more MLTs for lower compensation.

Cons

No room for advancement because high ups will stay until forced to retire early, which they need to be because majority of them are not willing to learn new technologies. Many Techs are too busy with their breaks, lunches, and smoke breaks rather than being concern with stat specimens.

Clean house in laboratories for those who do not want to learn new technologies along with keeping new techs from learning basic laboratory duties:ordering, calibration, etc.

Disregard for employees

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland

Pros

Good central location and free flu shot.

Cons

Employees are encouraged to speak up about problems, but are marginalized if they dare to do so. Great deal of nepotism and favoritism. Benefits are dismal compared to competitors. Parking fees are steep. Doctors are penalized for spending too much time with patients and secretarial staff are regularly treated with disrespect.

Consider following your own policies

Not a professional environment for a SLP

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland

Pros

The pay and benefits were good.

Cons

This SLP position was at a UH critical care access facility. The staff had very little understanding of the role of a SLP and there was no support provided from management or expectation that staff should be respectful. Each step of the way was challenging due to mean/unprofessional conduct by fellow employees. Many SLP recommendations were continually, excessively, not adhered to. This was a violation of the doctors order and an ongoing problem for the SLP. Within a twelve month period two SLPs left this facility. Another SLP shared a similar experience she encountered while working at a different UH critical care access facility regarding lack of respect, professional regard, and a sense that staff was working against her all while management did nothing to convey support for her role. There are more professional environments to work in. Stay clear of facilities like this.

Before you hire a SLP make sure you understand exactly what the SLP's role is so that the SLP can function within the hospital.

"Absolutely everything it promised to be and more!"

Former Employee - Clinical Coordinaror, RN  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Clinical Coordinaror, RN in Cleveland, OH

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Encourages education, open-minded thinking, encourages autonomy, no "babysitting" or micromanaging. Efficient training programs and fantastic growth potential.

Cons

Really none, except employee parking is not free. Hiring process takes time.

Keep up the good work!

I truly enjoyed working at University Hospitals of Cleveland, Main Campus

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Autonomy as a Manager. Culture was great. Chance for advancement (if not at main campus, then up to other healthcare campuses)

Cons

Good-ole-boys networking. Loyalty to advance employees who should not be advanced when newer staff are more qualified. Management that has been in place a long time who are ineffective.

Don't just promote your buddies and friends whom you have long time working relationships with. By not giving younger staff (those with less seniority) a chance to move up from coordinator or supervisor ranks you cause discontent and resentment.

Worked for University Hospitals of Cleveland? Contribute to the Community!