University Hospitals of Cleveland

115 reviews filtered by
3.7
University Hospitals of Cleveland CEO Tom Zenty III
Tom Zenty III

Pros
  • Good benefits, meet people, good experience (in 5 reviews)

• Good work-life balance - some options to work remotely when needed (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating days/nights and every other weekend makes work/life balance difficult (in 5 reviews)

• If you work at the main campus a good amount of your paycheck will go to parking (your daily workout) and the awful high price food in the cafeteria (in 3 reviews)

1. UH has been a very good employer

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time

Pros

I have had the opportunity to excel in my career. There are great Mentors at UH, if a person takes risks and remains competitive in their areas of expertise.
    UH mission is upheld in all areas of the institution and the majority of employees are dedicated and encourage this mission.

Cons

Very large bureaucratic and competitive health care industry. Early in my career the priority of all employees was the care of the patients. As the health care industry has become heavily scrutinized the focus has become increasingly focused on profitability.

Advice to Management

It would be great if management would take less salary and empower the lowest paid employees. This would improve commitment at all levels of their silos and improve the cleanliness and gratitude of these employees and their direct managers.

2. Proud I worked there!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrensville Heights, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrensville Heights, OH

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Quality Healthcare Provider
    Loyal Employees
    Proud to work for UH

Cons

Administrative Senior Management changes constantly reorganizing and shifting support services.
    Management struggled to adhere to described culture.
    Physicians involvement in non clinical, often technical, business process development

Advice to Management

Take a hard look internally, talk to your HR, Compliance, and Unit managers to seek out the legitimate employee concerns. Promote evidence based management and hold managers accountable for employee satisfaction.

3. resident physician

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time

Pros

high reputation, efficiency, nice environment,

Cons

location, employee turnover, competition with other employer

5. Registered Nurse

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland part-time

Pros

great place for nursing employees

Cons

little bonuses, raises, or perks

6. I committed to this medical facilty and they have embraced me. I feel like I am making a difference and I feel apprecia

Current Employee - Volunteer in Bedford, OH
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Bedford, OH

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland

Pros

I volunteer at the Bedford satellite. It is small. Everyone knows your name. People care about each other. They care about the community. The President, Robert David, came to the Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon. That says a lot! The employees are open and honest. It is my ideal place to work. This facility is geared to elder care and has implemented an Elder ER. The Bedford Satellite is part of a large network which is affiliated with Case Western University. It is a unique and fascinating place.

Cons

Until 1993, Bedford Medical Center was an autonomous entity. It was purchased by University Hospitals Health System, which is a huge network of facilities. At times, the University Hospitals is the deciding force in policy. The familiarity of the small suburban hospital gets lost within the system.

Advice to Management

There have been several volunteers who have applied for paying positions that reflect their volunteer responsibilities. They were overlooked despite their qualifications. A volunteer is not considered an employee when applying for a position. They go through a background check and hospital training before they can begin. They provide a real reference of their abilities and work ethic in a probationary period. Volunteers are already trained. However, they are not given the advantage afforded a University Hospital employee in the hiring process. As a business, it is economically unwise to throw away such an investment.

7. I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland

Pros

People are great with few exceptions, work is satisfying and engaging. Work schedule and paid time off is flexible fostering a good work/life balance.

Cons

If you don't fit a certain profile or culture, your days here can be frustrating at times, no matter how well you perform your job.

Advice to Management

Offer praise more often.

8. Management out of touch

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland

Pros

Work isn't bad, job not boring

Cons

Management far removed from day to day

Advice to Management

Understand employee daily job and appreciate employee

9. Good Place to work

Former Employee - Director of PFS in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Director of PFS in Cleveland, OH

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland

Pros

The experience and knowledge you received at the company

Cons

There are no cons for working for this organization

10. Patient Access Representative

I have been working at University Hospitals of Cleveland

Pros

Wonderful place to work!!! UH takes a vast interest in their employees in helping them foster their career goals within the organization. It truly follows in the path of its mission which is To Heal. To Teach. To Discover. That statement positively reflects in both their patients & employees!

Cons

No cons regarding a career at UH! As with any career.. it's your drive and passion that carries you far & goes the distance. It's what you make of it that counts!

11. Great experience working at UH.

I worked at University Hospitals of Cleveland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was fortunate to have wonderful co workers who were devoted to patient care and research and really believed in teamwork.

Cons

As with any large company, bureaucracy and cost cutting measures are in place, benefits were reduced slightly but that is across the board nowadays.

Advice to Management

Don't chip away at what makes UH a good place to work- keep supporting the strengths of the hospital.

University Hospitals of Cleveland Photos

Outside of seidman cancer center
Entrance to healing garden at cancer center- open to all

+ Add Photo