University Medical Center of Southern Nevada

Updated August 24, 2014
2.4

Kathy Silver

IT Department

I have been working at University Medical Center of Southern Nevada full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job security and benefits. Belief in the mission of the hospital. Co workers are usual very supportave

Cons

Overworked, far to many projects compared to the number of staff people available. Applications and tools cannot be used to their full potential due to lack of focus.

Be prepared to be disappointed

Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University Medical Center of Southern Nevada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits and average pay if your just looking for paycheck.

Cons

Management is awful. Staff is worse. Employee's are the last to know anything. Gossip, bad behavior and negative attitudes are the culture at this place. Another example of just how un-useful Unions are yet again.

Have respect for your fellow co-workers. At the end of the day, we are all human and we all work for a paycheck for a reason. Stop playing favorites and really pay attention to the ones who are working to make a difference. Really take a hard look at your "specialists" you have in place right now. You might just find a few of them are not leadership material. Some of them are just gossip spreading haters.

I LOVED the job but NOT the people I had to work with!!!

Former Employee - Public Safety Officer
    Former Employee - Public Safety Officer

I worked at University Medical Center of Southern Nevada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and good pay!!!

Cons

No formal training what so ever!! The first few days you sit in dispatch and read OUTDATED material. The one FTO they had, had little or NO time to spend with you!! You are instructed to "shadow", follow around an officer. Sure, I got to find out where all the goof off and smoking areas were. I was told that my many years of EMT and casino security experience meant nothing.......this was HOSPITAL security....not the same. I was NEVER given credit nor respect for what I brought to the table. You have to train and work all shifts, making it difficult to know the different responsibilities of each shift. Some were armed, while others weren't.....nobody knew why??? Supervisors to the officers were neither helpful nor that friendly. I was accused of something that NEVER occurred and was fired. I fought it and was exonerated. I found another job and never looked back.

Spend some money on proper/formal training. Have sensitivity classes and how to work as a "team". Be more in tune to the happenings amongst the ranks. Have the supervisors learn not to have favorites.

10 + years as a Data Specialist

Current Employee - Data Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Data Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Job security in a volatile economy.

Cons

No upward mobility in this company.

Listen to concerns of the hourly employees.

Stressful and taken forgranted/advantage of.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at University Medical Center of Southern Nevada

Pros

PERS for retirement, weekly opportunities for continuing education credit and 36 HR work weeks.

Cons

Doctor and nurse relations stressed. Management does not stick up for nurses. All employees have taken a paycut.

Stress beyond anything I have done in 30 years of experience! And it shouldn't have to be this way!

Former Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician In-Patient Pharmacy in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at University Medical Center of Southern Nevada

Pros

Some employees were great to work with and were team players. Benefits and time off are great if they will let you off. Great Retirement (5 years),and longevity bonus after eight years of service.

Cons

Extreme stress, out of date computer programs and equipment. Management rarely speaks to the employees except when making changes to the work flow. Constant changes that seem to have no logical conclusion, resulting in perpetual stress and anxiety.

work some hours to find out what the employees are really dealing with. Schedule meeting that encourage new ideas from the people who do the work. At least make them think you care about what they have to contribute. If something works- don't change it for changes sake!