University of Akron Reviews in Akron, OH

Updated August 28, 2014

3.8

University of Akron President Luis M. Proenza
Luis M. Proenza

Pros
  • Pros- "Great opportunities, great work environment, learning opportunities, qualified and helpful professors, forward thinking (in 4 reviews)

• I've always enjoyed working with people of different cultures and from different regions and the University of Akron has this diversity (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for the amount of work, which is actually getting reduced (didn't think that was possible (in 4 reviews)

• Issues with the budget and upper management poor decisions created a unproductive work environment for some people (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good experience

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Akron, OH

I have been working at University of Akron full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice facilities and people to work with.

Cons

Salary, career development, office working are not efficient.

should improve the safety and dining services.

Very good place to work

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Akron, OH

I have been working at University of Akron as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good work culture and friendly people

Cons

Less pay and long working hours

Grad Student Teaching Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Akron, OH

I have been working at University of Akron part-time for more than a year

Pros

Best thing about this position is that it pays your tuition plus a stipend to live on while completing your graduate studies. You get the experience of teaching your knowledge to undergraduates, which helps you to better understand your field as well.

Cons

You are definitely overworked. They say you only work 20 hours per week, but in reality by the time you factor in grading, attending classes you TA, preparing for classes you have to teach, this position takes up a great deal of time and can add to the stressfulness of writing a thesis. You have to be very good at time management to accomplish both. Some professors act as if their TA is there to do all of their work for them and couldn't care less that the TA is also a student and does have other work to do as well.

add more TAs so that there is less work for everyone, figure out a way to ensure that the grad student really is only doing 20 hours of work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, good. Wages set into specific job classes. Not much of a 'work your way up' system on my end of things.

Current Employee - 3D Technician  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - 3D Technician in Akron, OH

I have been working at University of Akron full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good environment for the most part. Some freedom during the summer is nice (full time during summers too).

Cons

Wages could be higher. Taxes, medical, and retirement take 40% of take-home. Makes for a low cash flow living but with med benefits (which can still be too difficult to pay for out of pocket). Kind of a toss-up.

People who work more than 10 yrs should get a significant retention raise.

It was a rewarding experience made so by the friendly and highly knowledgeable mentors.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Akron, OH

I worked at University of Akron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice environment, good facilities and a very helpful staff.

Cons

Campus placements and internship/employment opportunities for graduate level students could be improved

Great place to work as a student

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Akron, OH

I worked at University of Akron part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working here as a student allowed me to get a sense for how the university (and large organizations in general) function. This is great knowledge to have for business. Additionally, the relationships you build while working between classes are doorways to further opportunity after graduation.

My boss was great at delegating, so he would make me "project manager" for things he needed to get done rather than micromanaging me. This built skills that have come in handy at my professional job. The work was a great facet of my education at UA.

Cons

The pay isn't spectacular, but the experience makes up for it.

student assistant

Current Employee - ITS  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - ITS in Akron, OH

I have been working at University of Akron part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed working there because they allowed you to grow in the job without micromanaging every task. If a mistake was made you were allowed to correct it and move forward. I also attended school while working there and they were very respectful of my schedule.

Cons

Issues with the budget and upper management poor decisions created a unproductive work environment for some people.

Currently in the process of management change so it looks like they might be on the right track

It was a rewarding experience made so by the abundance of friendly and capable co-workers and administrators.

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Akron, OH

Pros

Cons

There are a lot of different cultures on a college campus and sometimes they clash. You have to be respectful of other cultures and educate yourself as much as possible on how to handle yourself in these situations.

Upper management needs to be cognizant of rewarding student workers for their efforts.

Great Opportunities

I have been working at University of Akron part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros- "Great opportunities, great work environment, learning opportunities, qualified and helpful professors, forward thinking.best technologies are available and good graduate assistantships.

Cons

lot of competition, you might end up working on projects on your own sometimes, it is sometimes difficult to coordinate between departments, less pay and no assistantships in summers.

I was very busy but overall I enjoyed my position.

Former Employee - Graduate Researcher/Teaching Assistant  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Researcher/Teaching Assistant in Akron, OH

I worked at University of Akron part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Meeting interesting people
    -There is a good Rec Center on Campus as well as good options for good
    -One can work all hours

Cons

-As a student employee I had very little free time
    -It was unorganized which lead to a lot of confusion for the employees
    -The university was constantly under funding departments, cutting out department to save money, yet able to spend huge quantity of money on expanding the campus.

Worked for University of Akron? Contribute to the Community!