University of Alabama at Birmingham

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of Alabama at Birmingham President Ray Watts

Ray Watts

Pros
  • good benefits health & retirement plan (TIAA/CREF 403(b) program on an matched tax sheltered basis up to 5%) (in 4 reviews)

• Marketing department generally employs 2-3 students at a time so it's a great place to build your teamwork skills (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low and never received a raise during the 3 years I was an employee (in 4 reviews)

• Relatively low salary and recent freeze of salary raise (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

UAB is a great place to work and pursue a career.

Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsBenefits, working conditions, peers, career opportunities.

ConsPay could increase a little faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep common sense in mind always.

My experience with the University of Alabama at Birmingham, has been very educational and rewarding.

Program Administrator (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsThe best reasons to work at the University of Alabama at Birmingham are the benefits, family environment and the free classes they offer their employees. They are very persistent in getting the work done in a timely manner but are also flexible when it comes to the needs of their employees.

ConsThe main challenge with working with the Department of Preventive Medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham is the grants and studies that are funded or not funded. Right now they don’t have any being funded; meaning no jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the advice I have receive from management is to learn all you can on each study/grant, while you can.

President is now Dr. Ray Watts, M.D.

I'm a student and was an employee.

Lab Assistant (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsVast variety of programs available, improved campus, clubs and student organizations are plentiful, and great staff for the most part.

ConsConstruction seems to be going on quiet a bit. Some things may not be as transparent as they should.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job

Research Specialist (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsTuition assistance, reasonable insurance, large company to start with the potential to grow, with hard work and education

ConsMandatory teacher retirement plan contribution

Advice to Senior ManagementStay active as possible in your job role.

Great retirement benefit.

Research Associate (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsAfter 25 years, you can retired. Lot of people retired at their early 50's, then do something else.

ConsIt it research institution, scoring a grand is a big challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo many empty space, but still continue to build new buildings. Can that money be used for pay raise?

My time at UAB was a very positive and growing expierence.

HVAC Group Leader (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsThey have a good training program that lets you move up the ladder of promotions. My own expierence was moving from maint. mech. up and thru hvac group leader/supervision.

ConsThe work was continous and very diffcult at times. We liked to say that it was a never ending story .Which in fact was and is a good thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe years that I was a part of the day to day repairs was hampered more than not by to much paper work and later own to much time on the computer documenting every detail.My advice would be less documenting and a little more work.

overall good place

Prosliving cost cheap, some departments ranked good

Consnot a lot career options outside the school

faculty

Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

Proslots of resources for research and collaboration especially in the medical school

Consold boy mentality especially in public health and business schools

Advice to Senior Managementhire non-UAB graduates in leadership

A wonderful institute to work for

Faculty (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsStrong medical research activities and great employee benefits, and the campus is under dramatic improvement to give better campus feeling and experiences for the students and employees.

ConsTraffic hours are often difficult to move around due to its downtown location. its campus is improving, but still cannot entirely get rid of the urban campus feel. Crime situation is not severe, but it is not ideal neither.

As a student working via contract in the engineering department, I have no complaints.

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsHas a lot of potential. One of the best places to work in birmingham. Great opportunity.

ConsAs a student contractor, I have no major con's.

Worked for University of Alabama at Birmingham? Contribute to the Community!