University of Alabama in Huntsville

University of Alabama in Huntsville Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

University of Alabama in Huntsville President Robert A. Altenkirch

Robert A. Altenkirch

UAH is a great community to work within!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsThe benefits package is fairly large. They offer tuition assistance programs which can help you achieve a master's degree or higher.

ConsLower salaries. Often hard to move within the organization. Promotions are very limited.

Great company to work for

Research Associate II (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsVery laid back flexible work schedules, great teacher benefits with tuition assistance, great work-life balance. The laid back environment is ideal for students working their way through school. It provides real world experience while earning your degree at a discounted rate (Tuition assistance program).

ConsThe format of my group was very flat with really no way to advance. People who do the same thing as me are getting paid 4x what I am for the same Job. While this is an interesting "No Boss" type mentality, it is also sometimes frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease communication with your employees. Let them know when issues arise and keep the transparency.

My experience with the University of Alabama in Huntsville as an employer was nothing but superb.

Research Scientest VI (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsExcellent compensation
    Excellent benefits
    Friendly, supportive administrative staff

Conscould not help me find a new customer when the current customer did not renew the employment agreement

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a program to help current employees find new customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PhD-level Researcher

ProsTop category (R1) research university. Excellent time off benefits and retirement programs. DoD and NASA are major funding sources for research, and are a short drive away on Redstone Arsenal.

ConsResearch staff salaries are funded through external contracts/grants. Proposal writing is a way of life.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with the requirement to be at work on the days preceding and following a holiday in order to be paid for the holiday. I reduces your employees' flexibility.

Good place for study and research.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsGood place for study and research.

ConsNot much option for selecting courses.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is good.

Amazing place to work, slightly held back by bureaucracy / politics.

Support Staff (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsI worked at UAH for about six years, and most of my experience there was amazing. I largely felt like a valued member of a team, and the vast majority of my co-workers felt like family. The bulk of the faculty and staff at UAH genuinely care for the students there, and stop at nothing to help them. Faculty and staff are encouraged (for the most part, depending on department) to think out of the box to do whatever they are best at to make the campus a better place, which equates to a very fun, laid-back, and productive work environment.

ConsMost offices within the administration have been a constant revolving door for the past decade, which has led to constant change of priority and lack of focus for long-term projects for the university. There are a few rare bad apples within the administration who have exploited this to further personal political agendas, which unfortunately sends shock waves to the rest of the personnel there. In many cases, this lack of long-term focus and unnecessary political drama has led to many key and valuable personnel leaving for other positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore attention needs to be paid to key personnel, who unfortunately sometimes are right in feeling undervalued. UAH has lost many great faculty and staff in staff in recent years, mostly due to petty bureaucratic politics that ties hands and inhibits productivity in far too many cases.

Nice place to work for laid back people

Lab Manager (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

Prosflexible schedule, easy environment, low living cost, nice people

Conssometimes irresponsible administrations, you need to push multiple times to get things done.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more open-minded.

UAH is a great employer with great benefits

IT Specialist (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsThe working conditions are great and the benefits are great. Pay is very fair for higher education. Nice campus and great city to live in.

ConsOpportunity to move up depends on area of employment.

Awesome On-Campus opportunity for a Student

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsFriendly staff, understands that you're in school FIRST. Very flexible and laid back. I've spent hours doing nothing. If you get the opportunity, take it!

ConsNot really a con, but work hours are limited, as well as the pay rate, but that's expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the work hour cap to 30hrs.

Pretty Good

ProsThe faculty here r awesome

ConsI don't think there is anything

Worked for University of Alabama in Huntsville? Contribute to the Community!