University of Alaska Anchorage
www.uaa.alaska.edu Anchorage, AK

University of Alaska Anchorage Reviews in Anchorage, AK

Updated Feb 17, 2014
University of Alaska Anchorage – US – “SSB”

University of Alaska Anchorage Chancellor Fran Ulmer

Fran Ulmer

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lots of freedom, not much security.

Adjunct Professor (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Alaska Anchorage part-time for more than 3 years

ProsIn my department, there was not a significant amount of oversight. I was allowed to teach my courses as I saw fit, as long as I stuck to the standardized exams. My daily workload was relatively small.

ConsThere was basically no chance to move up the ladder, and contracts come semester-by-semester. This makes it hard to plan ahead, because you don't know how many hours you'll be assigned a given semester, and thus how much you'll be making - assuming they even choose to renew you.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide opportunities for adjuncts to become more involved, and move up the ladder.

A great first job in a environment with a lot of potential.

Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee)
Anchorage, AK

I have been working at University of Alaska Anchorage full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, decent pay, meaningful environment.

ConsHighly bureaucratic, some processes are much more complicated than they should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify procedures, and move as much as possible to electronic. I feel like anytime I want to do anything, I have to print a book and then mail it somewhere, when we have the infrastructure to process almost all things, like procurement, benefits, etc. online.

Great Institution to Work For & Attend As A Student!

Anchorage, AK

I have been working at University of Alaska Anchorage full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery Friendly Employees & Students
Lots of Room For Advancement
Rewarding Work & Recognition
Great Benefit Opportunities & Pay

ConsI Have Not Experienced Any Real Downfalls In Working Within My Continuing 6 Years With The University.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at UAA Cuddy Hall/ Daily Grind

Barista (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Alaska Anchorage part-time for less than a year

ProsThey worked really well with my class schedule.

ConsEven though I was hired as a barista. I very rarely did barista work. I probably worked at the coffee shop 2 full days other than that I just covered the other barista's break. I mostly was a cashier at Cuddy Hall cafeteria.

A good place to get some experience. Flexible environment.

Administrative Assist (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Alaska Anchorage

ProsPaid time off
Sick Leave
Free tuition
Excellent hours
Good health benefits

ConsIf you want to get paid well, you had better be ready to fight for each penny that you can. Be prepared to prove yourself to your leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out ways to get health care costs under control. The plans are good. The costs are bad.

Overall a positive experience with a great environment for gaining education, however a lack of professional development

Procurement Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Alaska Anchorage

ProsEmployee waiver for classes taken is excellent. Great community to be a part of. Great benefits. Strong employee job security.

ConsCommunication between departments. Political atmosphere was destructive and demotivating. Lack of direction from supervisor. Lack of wanting to improve or change for the better. Status quot is enforced. Not much chance for professional development or moving up within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage collaboration between departments. Start dialogues between employee and management. Institute a drop-box for feedback (anonymous or otherwise). Develop an improvement strategy based upon findings of a research into employee satisfaction.

Good position for Students!

Safety Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Alaska Anchorage

ProsGood for students, good attitudes. Officers are competent and friendly. Very easy to work with and you get to go on unlimited ride-alongs with officers.They will easily work around your schedules and have no problem when you need to take time off. Easily the best department to work for in a very horrible University and the only place that doesn't partake in the endless BS that happens around the place.

ConsOnly experienced officers are hired, small department to get on with. For students, not a whole lot of training. The only major downside of working for the department is that it is UAA and therefore all of the BS that comes with that university.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more money from the State for more positions!

Worked for University of Alaska Anchorage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Alaska Anchorage reviews and ratings in Anchorage, AK — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Alaska Anchorage CEO Fran Ulmer . All 7 reviews posted anonymously by University of Alaska Anchorage employees.