University of Alaska Anchorage

www.uaa.alaska.edu

University of Alaska Anchorage Reviews

Updated Feb 23, 2014
University of Alaska Anchorage – US – “SSB”

University of Alaska Anchorage Chancellor Fran Ulmer

Fran Ulmer

Online instructor

Online English Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsThe faculty are friendly and helpful

ConsNo warning when laid off

Worth the wait

ProsGreat benefits, work around personal schedules, great opportunities for advancement, very good Salary and compensation.

Conssome micromanagement in place in some areas and or departments,

Lots of freedom, not much security.

Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsIn my department, there was not a significant amount of oversight. I was allowed to teach my courses as I saw fit, as long as I stuck to the standardized exams. My daily workload was relatively small.

ConsThere was basically no chance to move up the ladder, and contracts come semester-by-semester. This makes it hard to plan ahead, because you don't know how many hours you'll be assigned a given semester, and thus how much you'll be making - assuming they even choose to renew you.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide opportunities for adjuncts to become more involved, and move up the ladder.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great first job in a environment with a lot of potential.

Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsGreat benefits, decent pay, meaningful environment.

ConsHighly bureaucratic, some processes are much more complicated than they should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify procedures, and move as much as possible to electronic. I feel like anytime I want to do anything, I have to print a book and then mail it somewhere, when we have the infrastructure to process almost all things, like procurement, benefits, etc. online.

Working at UAA Cuddy Hall/ Daily Grind

Barista (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsThey worked really well with my class schedule.

ConsEven though I was hired as a barista. I very rarely did barista work. I probably worked at the coffee shop 2 full days other than that I just covered the other barista's break. I mostly was a cashier at Cuddy Hall cafeteria.

Great Institution to Work For & Attend As A Student!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsVery Friendly Employees & Students
    Lots of Room For Advancement
    Rewarding Work & Recognition
    Great Benefit Opportunities & Pay

ConsI Have Not Experienced Any Real Downfalls In Working Within My Continuing 6 Years With The University.

A good place to get some experience. Flexible environment.

Administrative Assist (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsPaid time off
    Sick Leave
    Free tuition
    Excellent hours
    Good health benefits

ConsIf you want to get paid well, you had better be ready to fight for each penny that you can. Be prepared to prove yourself to your leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out ways to get health care costs under control. The plans are good. The costs are bad.

Overall a positive experience with a great environment for gaining education, however a lack of professional development

Procurement Manager (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsEmployee waiver for classes taken is excellent. Great community to be a part of. Great benefits. Strong employee job security.

ConsCommunication between departments. Political atmosphere was destructive and demotivating. Lack of direction from supervisor. Lack of wanting to improve or change for the better. Status quot is enforced. Not much chance for professional development or moving up within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage collaboration between departments. Start dialogues between employee and management. Institute a drop-box for feedback (anonymous or otherwise). Develop an improvement strategy based upon findings of a research into employee satisfaction.

Good position for Students!

Safety Officer (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsGood for students, good attitudes. Officers are competent and friendly. Very easy to work with and you get to go on unlimited ride-alongs with officers.They will easily work around your schedules and have no problem when you need to take time off. Easily the best department to work for in a very horrible University and the only place that doesn't partake in the endless BS that happens around the place.

ConsOnly experienced officers are hired, small department to get on with. For students, not a whole lot of training. The only major downside of working for the department is that it is UAA and therefore all of the BS that comes with that university.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more money from the State for more positions!

Gaining great experience

Fiscal Technician (Current Employee)

Pros-Encouraging work environment
    -Good benefit
    -Good training program

Cons-Workflow could use some improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job! Keep it up!

Worked for University of Alaska Anchorage? Contribute to the Community!