University of Alberta

University of Alberta Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

University of Alberta President Indira V. Samarasekera

Indira V. Samarasekera

Pros
  • Excellent work environment and atmosphere(in 15 reviews)

• Good , helpful, good environment and teachers and students, scholorship(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • pay is low, coworkers not bad, bad benefit package(in 4 reviews)

• low salary 2) low opportunity for advancement 3) overworked and underpaid(in 5 reviews)

It's a personal preference

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsRelaxed environment, stable work/life, good health benefits, credit for free courses. It's nice to be surrounded by young students, full of energy and life.

ConsLittle room to grow. I could see myself 20 years down the road doing the same thing at the same position. I've known quite a few technicians and staff working there for life. I guess it's a good thing if you want a stable job and life, and can live with the same routine forever.

Good environment in general

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsIt is very serious about research, and the university has wonderful library services and data support. Other amenities are also satisfactory.

ConsThe location is slightly isolated from other major cities except Calgary. Due to the location the university faces difficulty to invite top researchers to give talks on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the university can consider strategic partnership with top Asian schools. This may help the university's overall reputation and attract more Asian students - good way to make money.

Upper management has lost touch with the front line workers.

Receptionist (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsThere are Educational Opportunities available.

ConsDue to the massive downsizing, there are a lot of very unhappy people.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is time to clean out upper management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Director of Operations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, including support for advanced education. There is lots of opportunity to learn about different parts of the university. Flex-time was a great perk for those who have families and outside commitments.

ConsDecisions were slow to be made. Cross-faculty cooperation could sometimes be difficult because of competing interests. Hiring for a vacant position took much longer than typical in a corporate environment, meaning qualified candidates could get a better offer while a decision was yet to be made.

Good Experience

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat people and good working environment

Conspay is little bit low but other than this nothing negative.

Great place to work

Research Associate (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsBenefit were excellent, work was challenging and rewarding. Was able to be a part of a world class research group and worked for an amazing professor.

ConsCurrent budget cuts to the education system in Alberta have left some departments in dire straights. Wages were good, but not great. The University president has made some questionable choices during her tenure.

Excellent Experience and Skill Building

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA warm welcoming environment where everyone wants you to succeed and develop new skills. Positions are often short term 1-5 years and thus positions are excellent for current students or recent graduates.

ConsWork hours can fluctuate depending on position. Salaries are generally low-medium range. The building is currently undergoing a renovation so office space might be tight.

Grad student - chemical and materials engineering

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsActive research community. Lots of events and opportunities to collaborate and share research.

ConsWorkspace: Current student office space is not ideal. Should be remedied following the completion of the new chemical engineering

Advice to Senior ManagementFinish the chemical engineering building.

good place to study

Prosgood environment and work life balance

Consthe very cold and long winters in the city

Good for studying while working`

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsValues,
    Time Frame Flexibility
    Broad Range for Choices

ConsLow Income
    Slow process for each paper work

Worked for University of Alberta? Contribute to the Community!