University of Arizona Health Network
www.uahealth.com Tucson, AZ 1000 to 5000 Employees

University of Arizona Health Network Reviews

Updated May 12, 2014
University of Arizona Health Network – Tucson – “The University of Arizona Health Network Main…”

Michael Waldrum,

world class reputation

Tucson, AZ

ProsCompany is very well known and solid. Connection with University of Arizona gives lots of opportunities

ConsThey don't seem to be as interested in promoting from within past a certain level. Currently undergoing some reorganization that is taking a tremendously long time to complete.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't be afraid to promote from within

Great clinical staff

ProsEngaging and Enthusiastic group of individuals

ConsNeed to have longer training in some areas and shorter training in others

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the needs of the various groups

worst experience of any company I've worked for

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

Prossteady work, as another commented, it takes an act of God to fire the dead weight

ConsHorrible management. Some of the upper management may have the pedigree but are so emotionally damaged they have no business managing other people. Vindictive, petty and short sighted people seem to matriculate to the top. There are glitters of hope, some people are brilliant and motivated but soon enough they are consumed by the dead weight and either merge with the Borg or leave in disgust (like I did). Long term goals are an inside joke, no one pays attention to them, short term goals revolve around whatever fire burns the hottest. Upper management frequently use their position to promote leftist politics without shame and in breach of federal law. The review process is little more than a popularity contest since no one adheres to the Success Factors goal management system. My advice to anyone looking for full time employment at this company, if you're talented and motivated, move on quickly. If you're dead weight looking for a regular paycheck, this is your new home.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the ideologues, give raises to the talented, fire the dead weight and for the love of God, stop promoting Obamacare.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pockets of quality; pockets of not-so-much

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMission for community health and educating caregivers

ConsIT department leadership is very punishing; this stifles innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed strategic plan for IT.

Excellent Healthcare Network

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsTop notch environment, excellent administration, competitive salary. I was very impressed of both staff and administration - from the recruiters to the CEO. Friendly environment, high quality patient care, and affiliated with a top notch academic medical center.

ConsLarge Healthcare Network - with many locations across the Southern AZ region

Started out promising, went downhill from there

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsSome great people, good balance of work/life. Lots of flexibility for salaried employees.

ConsSome of the worst management I've ever witnessed in my professional career, no focus as executives chase the latest buzzword business trend. Executive management will pay millions for motto's but pennies for employees. High performers can expect a low rate of pay and raises that do not keep up with the rate of inflation. Most of the "best and brightest" have long since moved on after the merger. As another reviewer stated, "it takes an act of God to get fired" and I concur. This employer tends to retain time card punchers with little motivation for self improvement. Don't get me wrong, there are some bright and wonderful people there but they tend to overcompensate for the slackers until they burn out and leave. Heavy politics spoil the working environment, some employees with many letters and acronyms in their resume are often some of the worst to work with. Many "senior" employees have no oversight and use their positions to run silo operations counter to supposed corporate values.

Advice to Senior Management"Retain the best and brightest" is an insult when you pay 2/3's of the state average for a given position. HR is completely disconnected from the job market and frequently shoo away qualified applicants by low-balling salary offers. Projects and initiatives receive little or no management buy-in and are often forgotten soon after they're started.

It used to be an amazing place to work before the UPH & UMC merger

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsIt's hard to think of any real pros anymore other than some of the people that are still there are amazing people and great to work with.

ConsAfter the merger the moral was removed. A lot of people either got fired or quit and IT Leadership either didn't want to back fill these positions or didn't want to pay for quality personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace upper IT Leadership with personnel that know how to create and execute an IT strategic plan. And do a full review of IT personnel. There is a lot of "Dead Weight" in the IT department that the good employees are working 60hrs a week trying to keep things a float.

callous management with a high volume of re-activity, wasting good potential and harvesting PHB bacteria.

(Current Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsThe job is steady. It takes an act of god to fire you. Most workmates are self motivated and hard workers. The level of care is comparable for the processes in place.

ConsThe situation is mostly reactive. When something needs to get accomplished, it's due to a knee jerk reaction rather than foresight and planning. When a situation is handled badly or a new person makes a mistake, an example is made of them, rather than giving them the opportunity to learn from it. This Facilitates PHB (Pointy Headed Boss - see Dilbert) syndrome. Suggestions for something positive get shot down with the strong hint that you should only do as your told.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop. Look. and Listen. Your employees have great ideas, from the recommendation and suggestion of revamping triage process, to having Technology in place that actually works for the user and not against them. EPIC was a great choice, but it shouldn't end there and yet, that is what is happening. Our CEO for instance stated that we have a chaos of software (over 300 disparate applications) and that he believed in enterprise solutions, and instead of management looking at how to resolve the software into enterprise solutions and flows, they are preening themselves with how long they have worked here. Here is a small example, The I/S department has over 11 monitoring apps and none of them manage or monitor the whole enterprise as we should. When presented with a variety of solutions, another small app was added instead to "help" monitor our environment. I do hope our new CEO is here to make a change for the better.

Great new beginning for the merger of two companies

Client Services Technician (Current Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsEducation and health best of two worlds

ConsAs with any Corporate job, there is a lot of red tape and bureaucracy to deal with

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery company has a lot of wasteful spending that could be used for better benefits and salaries

Worked here for eight years. Great in the beginning, but have become more dissatisfied as the years tick by.

Nurse (Current Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsGreat learning opportunities, challenging and fun environment. Great technology.

ConsPoor pay for experienced nurses. Staffing can be low and work is overwhelming at times. Lots of Paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved with your employees, get to know them and know what's going on. Participate in helping out in patient care. Stand up for your employees.

Worked for University of Arizona Health Network? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Arizona Health Network reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Arizona Health Network CEO Michael Waldrum,. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by University of Arizona Health Network employees.