University of Arizona Health Network

Michael Waldrum,

world class reputation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona Health Network full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company is very well known and solid. Connection with University of Arizona gives lots of opportunities

Cons

They don't seem to be as interested in promoting from within past a certain level. Currently undergoing some reorganization that is taking a tremendously long time to complete.

don't be afraid to promote from within

Wrong job for me

Current Employee - Food Service Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Food Service Associate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona Health Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I suppose if you like working different and changing work schedules, as opposed to a more stable and consistent schedule.

Cons

I originally accepted this position because I was told there was upward and inter-department mobility. There was not.

Manager accountability and favoritism.

Improve management consistency.

Once a great company now a leaderless sinking ship

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona Health Network full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Under our former CEO, who led the company for YEARS, this was the best lace I ever worked. Mission driven, great people, great work life balance. I work here now because I make good money and have a lot of seniority. That's it.

Cons

Leadership has built a culture of leadership distinct from the employees. We find out about things like the Banner Health acquisition from the newspapers. Management level is really a clique, buddy network and the folks with the white coats don't care about the worker bees. It pains me to say this because I loved this place and so did everyone I worked with.

Management needs to value the workers. Not to get all Norma Rae on you but treating people like mushrooms only fosters a me first self serving attitude which is not only common here....but rewarded!

patient service specialist

Current Employee - Patient Services in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Patient Services in Tucson, AZ

Pros

GREAT STAFF, FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT, MOST STAFF BELIEVE IN TEAM WORK

Cons

LOW BASE PAY,NO RAISES, LOW MORALE ACROSS THE ORGANIZATION

Allow competent staff to interview for upper management positions, reward staff for excellent merit reviews, compete with other hospitals base pay and reward good employees instead of generalizing all of the bad the few lacking employees do and making it seem everyone performs poorly

Great clinical staff

I have been working at University of Arizona Health Network

Pros

Engaging and Enthusiastic group of individuals

Cons

Need to have longer training in some areas and shorter training in others

Pay attention to the needs of the various groups

worst experience of any company I've worked for

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Arizona Health Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

steady work, as another commented, it takes an act of God to fire the dead weight

Cons

Horrible management. Some of the upper management may have the pedigree but are so emotionally damaged they have no business managing other people. Vindictive, petty and short sighted people seem to matriculate to the top. There are glitters of hope, some people are brilliant and motivated but soon enough they are consumed by the dead weight and either merge with the Borg or leave in disgust (like I did). Long term goals are an inside joke, no one pays attention to them, short term goals revolve around whatever fire burns the hottest. Upper management frequently use their position to promote leftist politics without shame and in breach of federal law. The review process is little more than a popularity contest since no one adheres to the Success Factors goal management system. My advice to anyone looking for full time employment at this company, if you're talented and motivated, move on quickly. If you're dead weight looking for a regular paycheck, this is your new home.

Fire the ideologues, give raises to the talented, fire the dead weight and for the love of God, stop promoting Obamacare.

Pockets of quality; pockets of not-so-much

I worked at University of Arizona Health Network full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mission for community health and educating caregivers

Cons

IT department leadership is very punishing; this stifles innovation.

Need strategic plan for IT.

Excellent Healthcare Network

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Arizona Health Network part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Top notch environment, excellent administration, competitive salary. I was very impressed of both staff and administration - from the recruiters to the CEO. Friendly environment, high quality patient care, and affiliated with a top notch academic medical center.

Cons

Large Healthcare Network - with many locations across the Southern AZ region

Started out promising, went downhill from there

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Arizona Health Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people, good balance of work/life. Lots of flexibility for salaried employees.

Cons

Some of the worst management I've ever witnessed in my professional career, no focus as executives chase the latest buzzword business trend. Executive management will pay millions for motto's but pennies for employees. High performers can expect a low rate of pay and raises that do not keep up with the rate of inflation. Most of the "best and brightest" have long since moved on after the merger. As another reviewer stated, "it takes an act of God to get fired" and I concur. This employer tends to retain time card punchers with little motivation for self improvement. Don't get me wrong, there are some bright and wonderful people there but they tend to overcompensate for the slackers until they burn out and leave. Heavy politics spoil the working environment, some employees with many letters and acronyms in their resume are often some of the worst to work with. Many "senior" employees have no oversight and use their positions to run silo operations counter to supposed corporate values.

"Retain the best and brightest" is an insult when you pay 2/3's of the state average for a given position. HR is completely disconnected from the job market and frequently shoo away qualified applicants by low-balling salary offers. Projects and initiatives receive little or no management buy-in and are often forgotten soon after they're started.

It used to be an amazing place to work before the UPH & UMC merger

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Arizona Health Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's hard to think of any real pros anymore other than some of the people that are still there are amazing people and great to work with.

Cons

After the merger the moral was removed. A lot of people either got fired or quit and IT Leadership either didn't want to back fill these positions or didn't want to pay for quality personnel.

Replace upper IT Leadership with personnel that know how to create and execute an IT strategic plan. And do a full review of IT personnel. There is a lot of "Dead Weight" in the IT department that the good employees are working 60hrs a week trying to keep things a float.

University of Arizona Health Network Photos