University of Arizona

Updated October 20, 2014
4.0

University of Arizona President Ann Weaver Hart
Ann Weaver Hart

Pros
  • Easy working environment with all kinds of holidays (in 15 reviews)

• Great respect for innovation, work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Morale is low along with unending budget cuts and no salary increase over years (in 12 reviews)

• The undergraduate students are foolish and lazy, even the graduate students are same (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A graduate program doing its best

Current Employee - Graduate Associate Teacher in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Graduate Associate Teacher in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my department, graduate students were generally given teaching assistantships that covered tuition and provided a salary. The health plan was good, and Tucson was cheap enough to stretch $15,000/year quite a long way. Even though things aren't so great in academia for the humanities, the program ensured that I didn't go into debt. And from a purely academic perspective, it was a complete joy: lots of knowledgeable people and a friendly graduate student body that was a real source of support.

Cons

The usual problems of a grad program: long hours, lots of work, and little chance of getting a professor job yourself. The faculty do everything they can to help, but most of them got their jobs sometime before 1980, and not all of them stay up-to-date on modern hiring practices, so professional development is necessarily limited (though younger professors are very helpful). The students you teach are generally stupid and don't have the courtesy to realize it. And also the pay is very low, though it was sufficient for my purposes.

Hire some new professors to fill widening gaps in the department! I know you've been trying to do this for a few years, but it's becoming increasingly necessary.

Post-doctoral Research Associate

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate I in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate I in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time (less than an year)

Pros

State of AZ has a good benefits package. Cost of living in Tucson is low.

Cons

Having your employment dependent upon grant funding can be difficult. Change in department culture since arrival of new department head - not positive

The environment is totally dependent on the instructor you are with

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Arizona full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent student for teaching assistant, and great team work environment with the assigned team members.

Cons

the management method for the teaching assistant is not clear. The management level should distinguish the job belong to the teaching assistant and the job belong to the instructors.

Rec Center

I have been working at University of Arizona

Pros

Flexible hours, good for students

Cons

they don't pay super well

Great place for learning and meet passionate people, weak for professional growth.

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start out, especially in Higher Education, it's great to work around intelligent and passionate people working to make Arizona and education better; fulfilling mission. Also, especially for professionals with families or if taking classes, leadership is flexible and respectful of your hours.

Cons

The College is small and is competing with some of the larger colleges on campus, so they are forced to compromise the mission, at times. Also, if you're not faculty, doing research, your opportunities for growth (professional and salary) are limited.

Take into consideration the staff and man-power before deciding to move forward on large projects - they are often beyond the capabilities (time) of the staff. Also, morale would be higher if management listened to and responded to staff needs and complaints, rather than trying to sweep concerns under the rug.

Review for part time position

I have been working at University of Arizona

Pros

Managable work load and open work culture

Cons

schedule depends on school calendar.

The best university to work for!

Former Employee - Assistant in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Arizona part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities for advancement at the university. There are innumerable departments that make up the university, and many people go from one area to another. It is a great network to have, no matter the department in which you are working. It is convenient to work on campus. The scheduling is flexible and understanding.

Cons

The pay is not wonderful for students, and is equal to if not lower a job off campus. Many departments are only open from 8-5 during weekdays, so it is difficult to maintain a full work schedule and a full class schedule.

Eller has provided a great opportunity for me to vastly expand my knowledge in programs and social media.

Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The faculty is extremely helpful and kind, everyone is looking to help everyone.

Cons

It's difficult to manage the hours and get a straightforward definitive list of tasks to complete.

Great organization.

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Arizona part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and the people who work there are great.

Cons

Salary is definitely below the average of pretty much any industry.

Good public university

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at University of Arizona part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The faculty are great at this university, as are graduate colleagues. There's lots of opportunities for graduate students to learn to teach.

Cons

Lots of re-organization of the university structure to constantly cut the budget. Graduate students teaching are often paid more than adjunct faculty.

University of Arizona Photos