University of Arizona

University of Arizona Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

University of Arizona President Ann Weaver Hart

Ann Weaver Hart

Pros
  • Easy working environment with all kinds of holidays(in 13 reviews)

• Work life balance Relaxed schedule(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • State of Arizona constantly doing budget cuts(in 12 reviews)

• Just above minimum wage and you get a small cent raise every year(in 4 reviews)

Great place to work.

Custodian (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGreat place to work , also great benefits.

ConsWould be nice that if we could receive performance raises once a year.

Campus Recreation is a great experience for college students

Student Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsHuge staff, mainly students. Depending on your supervisor, they really try to prepare you for the "real" working world. They offer free professional development lectures and classes, too.

ConsHaving to pay for your required CPR certification.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Educational

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGreat schedule, decent vacation time and sick day accumulation, good benefits, decent salary for living expenses

ConsCan be crowded during the school year, potential for bad management practices

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent research opportunities, idiotic administrators.

Research Associate (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsLots of cross-disciplinary research with top quality talent. Excellent equipment and professors with diverse relationships with industry throughout the US and Europe.

ConsPer-credit hour funding model for departments favors non-science and engineering departments that teach to lectur halls.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe power of senior management is the HR system, which is gamed to obtain positions for their favorites using the most bizarre rationales.

A strong research university that also places great emphasis on educating the younger generation

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsI can only speak for my department, but the faculty and staff are extremely nice and accommodating. Interdisciplinary research is encouraged. Tucson is a great place to live.

ConsJust like Tucson, things may get a bit slow and boring on campus at times. Also, more importantly, the university needs a more centralized and resourceful organization in charge of advising postdocs on future career opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe postdoctoral resource network needs to be revamped

It's what you make of it. Plenty of opportunity to connect with the right people.

Student Employee (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGood entrepreneurship program
    Programs and clubs that cover nearly ever and all interests

ConsNot good location for major business
    Relatively small town/over shadowed by Phoenix

For better or for worse, it's the best place to work in town

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGood benefits, especially if you have or will have college age kids, or want to take classes yourself.

ConsDo you homework with regard to the department - some are definitely better than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to implement an HR department that really looks after employees - the current department only manages pay and benefits. Many departments would benefit from having an HR advocate to help initiate conversations and org change.

University of Arizona Bookstore.

Sales (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsFlexible when it comes to scheduling. Amazing environment to work in if you attend the university.

ConsPersonal growth is not possible at least not at the Bookstore.

The Bottom Line

Staff Administrative (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsNice benefits in general. The UA is so large, I assume most reviews would be relevant at the department level. My department looked great at first, but eventually the politics became quite apparent. The tenured faculty are about the only ones that have the luxury of really enjoying what they do there.

ConsSince all salaries are public, employees often tended to be petty and compare salaries and whine at discrepancies. State budget is generally unfriendly toward education. The new Responsibility Centered Management of the budget was being implemented and could lead to significant changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGoal setting is nice. There seems to be a lot of reaching to be a top tier school. Seek practical ways to pursue this in particular areas, challenge below average performing departments to do better. Leadership to truly motivate faculty seems lacking. Department heads and faculty are getting blinded by seeking funding and fame above the education mission...you are a land grant school. This fact should provide a direction which will in general be different that a typical research one institution.

Interpretive Specialist, Biosphere 2

Interpretive Specialist (Current Employee) Oracle, AZ

ProsEnjoy work, beautiful setting, lots of wildlife and outdoors viewing

ConsLow pay, no benefits, part-time position only

Advice to Senior ManagementTake additional steps to make Interpretive Specialist's worth recognized by paying a better salary, offering full-time options with benefits for those individuals who want to make this a career not just a "side-line" job.

Worked for University of Arizona? Contribute to the Community!