University of Arkansas at Little Rock

ualr.edu

University of Arkansas at Little Rock Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Awesome college for work or education!

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsGreat diversity among all workers and students.

ConsLots of learning can be gained through variety of leadership!

Dysfunctional Campus from Top to Bottom

Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsNone. I received a salary with benefits. But that's the bare minimum you should be getting from a job.

ConsSalary far below market value. Completely impersonal faculty relationships and very little upper administrative interest/interaction. Students are far below the quality that should be allowed in a four-year university. Grade inflation is rampant. Support staff is inept, from the HR department that has no idea what it's doing to the Facilities staff, who don't think it's their job to do ANYTHING within their job description. Parking is a major problem on campus. The campus location is in a high-crime, low-income part of the city - a student was kidnapped and murdered from across the street several years ago. The campus is ugly and laid out with no logic - most of the buildings look like they were used for prisoner torture in the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

Good place to gain varied experience for self motivated 1st job seekers

Research Associate (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsGain experience doing lots of different tasks.
    Work to train future generations of leaders.
    Good entertainment, retirement and health benefits.

ConsNot a lot of room for upward mobility. This makes the institution a place that feels more like a stepping stone than a place to build a successful career.
    Lack of access to well trained support staff.
    Resources are spread very thin which can make it hard to invest in necessary human and physical infrastructure improvements.
    Institutional relationship is not strong with the local city government or business sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on doing fewer things and do those things well. Form partnerships with other educational institutions in the city to strengthen networks and matriculations pathways. Invest in quality professional development for support staff to improve professionalism of employees. Address salary inequities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place to work

Graduate Assistant/Data Entry Operator/Database Administrator (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsI am working as a graduate assistant. People here are very open and friendly staff. I work 20 hours. My work is to take care of the data entry tasks, and analyze the database for any errors. I also do some seminar manual paper work. My tasks are given early enough so that I can manage my studies and work.

ConsLess chances of getting a high-end practical experience in my chosen field.

It is a very small university

Proswork here if you want to be relaxed

Consslow, not competitive, low wages, no growth, etc.

Advice to Senior Managementno development or career management for postdocs. They are considered workhorse with no growth.

Nice guys

Research Assistant (Current Employee)

Prosnice people.
    spending cost is low.
    so many free services.
    good transpotation conditions.

Conssalary not high.
    sometimes not safe around the campus.
    some facility is too old.

University is stingy but the academic personnel make the experience worth working there

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsVery friendly and professional upper management in most of the departments and the opportunity to work with serious professional researchers

ConsFriendly staff but some of them lack professional abilities, some are not responsive to the requests, or forget to accomplish tasks and/or deliver incomplete work

the work load is fair and the pay is ok. small class teaching assistant such as lab manage and grade homeworks.

Proswork load is low and people are nice

Conspay is not high and work is not very exciting

Best college, needs more connection with real world business

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsVery nice and upto date work environment located in a city with varity of natural attractions

ConsAs a science student verry little opportunities to enteract with real, unsatisfactory benefits

A diverse student body with caring faculty but poor administration puts UALR's future at risk.

Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsDiverse student population and caring faculty.

ConsTerrible administration; teachers are expected to go FAR above and beyond what would be expected of them at other colleges/universities for a far lesser salary. Few chances for raises or promotions as departments are small and budgets are tight. If you do get in, expect to stay around the same pay throughout the length of your career. Campus is also a bit sketchy. There are armed robberies during school hours and the Big Lots parking lot where the majority of people park is dirty and somewhat dangerous if walking there after hours. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't flaunt any valuables.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider at least small-scale pay increases for your dedicated faculty or risk losing some of the brightest minds you have.

Worked for University of Arkansas at Little Rock? Contribute to the Community!