University of Birmingham

Updated January 27, 2015
4.1

University of Birmingham Chancellor Nicholas Dominic Cadbury
Nicholas Dominic Cadbury

Lots of variety, not great pay but stable steady posts (unless they're 1 year or less contracts!)

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at University of Birmingham as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

generally good people, defined responsibilities and good middle management, variety of work in different departments, stable and steady pay that's not great but then again you won't be doing major overtime

Cons

Lack of promotion, no way to work your way up unless someone leaves, felt stagnant at times, pay not great and hard work isn't always rewarded - those on short contracts not well appreciated even though they may have performed amazingly

No point in making suggestions, as structure is inflexible

Student review

Current Employee - PhD Student in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Birmingham

Pros

Very good university with a lot of good facilities for the students. The campus is well structured and easy to get around. The teaching is varied in, some lecturers are very good and very informative and engaging whilst others are not. The teaching facilities for my department (chemical engineering) are very good, it includes multiple computer suites for individual and group work.

Cons

The lecture halls are often packed and are very uncomfortable. Some of the teaching staff are rubbish. They are very boring and unengaging. Some of the work in pretty interesting because it is challenging and incorportaes a lot of different skill.s

Improved facilities

Fantastic students, some good colleagues, dire management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Birmingham

Pros

I worked with a very good team, and really enjoyed my (postgraduate) students. Salary was to scale.
    Plenty of opportunities to get involved in research.

Cons

However, the university is managed from the centre and had a dire VC (he's still there) on a huge salary. The centre consistently worked against staff and students, and was highly politically motivated. For me, the final straw was when a group of unqualified Tory cronies were catapulted into our department and given a huge budget for politically motivated research. It was the worst combination of "jobs for the boys" coupled with right-wing think-tank-style "research" I've seen yet in my academic career.
    Promotion from one band to the next is also notoriously difficult at Birmingham (unless, it seems, you have mates in Whitehall and the VC's mansion...)
    There were also major administrative problems in my department, but this could be very different elsewhere in the university.

Start listening to your staff, starting with their union, and not just hand-picked managers. You have some of the best academics in the country, and many of them are very unhappy indeed. They are the core of your "business," without them you cannot deliver what you promise to students. UB students don't come for the gorgeous campus or "student amenities," they come to achieve academically. Support them by supporting those who make that possible.

Massive workload

I have been working at University of Birmingham

Pros

Career support, mentoring and acceleration for high achievers.

Cons

Work load seems infinite, and less support is available for academics.

Receptionidt

I have been working at University of Birmingham

Pros

Nice friendly people to work wit, Good pay and a good atmosphere. Good sense of community

Cons

Unorganized in their shifts - would only know a week in advance which became frustrating when trying to make long term plans.
    Would frequently be called in at the very last minute

research experience

Current Employee - Researcher in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Researcher in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Birmingham full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The university has excellent facilities and good staff. They are cooperative.

Cons

Nothing to say...good salary

A whirlwind of new experiences, interesting people and enjoyable challenges.

Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Birmingham part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours as a Student Ambassador surrounded by a great group of friendly individuals who thoroughly enjoyed their time working together and providing the highest level of service.

Cons

Daytime working hours sometimes made it difficult to make myself available to work due to course commitments.

Have more supervisors on site during big open days and make sure everything from a logistical point of view is organised and ready before the morning of the open day!

Learnt a lot and worked with great people

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Birmingham part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working in a prestigious university like Birmingham has been great for my career. I was given good training and support throughout my time there.

Cons

No specific cons to be honest, it was all pretty good.

Used to be a good place to work

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Birmingham as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is an average-to-good working environment. There is flexibility in working times and length of contracts..

Cons

The management does not care much for employees. There are constant changes in the institution's college-level and departamental administrative structure, which means there is no contunity to initiatives or institutional programmes. Salaries have stayed practically the same for four years despite a massive increase in tuition fees for students and the vast endowment, income and revenue that the university has generated over the last years.

Invest in your employees. There is no culture of investment in human resources.

Good Experience

I have been working at University of Birmingham

Pros

study at Birmingham University was a great experience

Cons

there is no obvious con

University of Birmingham Photos