University of Birmingham

University of Birmingham Chancellor Nicholas Dominic Cadbury

Nicholas Dominic Cadbury

Good Experience

Prosstudy at Birmingham University was a great experience

Consthere is no obvious con

Advice to Senior Management/

Challenging but rewarding environment!

PhD Researcher (Current Employee)

ProsBeautiful campus, good collaborations with industry, world class research, nice staff, flexible hours, plenty of opportunities to learn and develop

ConsResearch funding shortage, not many academic opportunities available, the reputation was declining but I hope it will recover soon

I have had a lot of support from the staff.

Honorary Research Fellow (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsSupport from colleagues, friendly environment of the department, professional work place and good equipment

ConsLess support from support staff such as Finances and IT services

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training opportunities and support for career development

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome, simply awesome.

Honorary Research Fellow (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsGreat university, I spent 8 years there as a student before working here after going away elsewhere. The campus is beautiful, and calm and peaceful with an academic feel. Everyone is friendly, it has a great reputation and does some truly great science.

ConsAs with all academic jobs it is difficult to fine a permanent position here but that's to be expected. The pay is average for the type of work but not low. I honestly find it tricky to find any downsides.

Advice to Senior Managementextra guidance to non permanent members of staff would be good.

Enlightening and very enjoyable

PhD Student (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsThis is a brilliant university with many leading academics. It is set in beautiful grounds and not too far away from the centre of Birmingham which has everything you could possibly need

ConsUnfortunately, the university does seem to acquire the necessary funds to complete all of the research it would like, and so competition from money is fierce.

Higher management do not know what is going on

ProsDepends on who you work with. Flexibility

ConsOpportunities limited. A lot of decisions made by higher management, are not necessarily beneficial, and could be harmful

Casual work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe money was better than you'd get elsewhere, so long as you're working for the University and not for the exploitative Guild of Students.

ConsThe casual nature of work is taken full advantage of. You're treated as utterly disposable, have zero rights and zero chance to state your case. I was removed from work due to lies told by an ex-girlfriend with an axe to grind and was shown the door without so much as a "thank you" or a chance to defend myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with the respect that they deserve - though the nature of your contracts mean that you can do as you please with them remember that you're looking for the best - and if you're going to treat your workforce badly you're going to struggle to find anyone willing to work for you.

mixed bag

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

Prosgood facilities for clinical research

Consdifficult progression through career. Clinically oriented environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to advise and assist with career progression

Work

Finance Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsVery nice working culture. Got along with everyone

ConsThere aren't too many growth opportunities

Postgraduate researcher

ProsFriendly staff and Flexible hours

ConsLow pay, and only good for those looking into academia.

Worked for University of Birmingham? Contribute to the Community!