University of Bristol

University of Bristol Reviews in Bristol, England

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
4.4

University of Bristol Chancellor The Right Honourable the Baroness Hale of Richmond
The Right Honourable the Baroness Hale of Richmond

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Place

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Assistant  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Bristol full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people to work for

Cons

None that I can think of

None

It's the best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Modern Apprentice  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Modern Apprentice in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Bristol full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing staff, the perks of the job (NUS, Opportunities to progress through job levels, Excellent pay, Intelligent people, they are a very considerate company.

Cons

Sometimes people are difficult to deal with and they can be very rude, there is also a very high workload.

working as a research staff

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Assistant  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at University of Bristol full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very supportive environment, and positive. The city is very nice to live, the people there are friendly. Many opportunities for undergraduate and post graduate students to improve their knowledge, social skills through societies, teaching tutorial and lab classes. The start salary for research staff is good.

Cons

The opportunities for senior positions for research staffs or for whom want to become lecturers are limited.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A mixture of disheartening and positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Bristol full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a lovely place to live (cheap compared to London, expensive compared to some other places). The university has some excellent research support infrastructure (the RED office has got to be one of the best of its kind in the UK, the Centre for Public Engagement and the Press Offices too are excellent, full of skilled people but a bit underfunded).

Cons

As with a lot of the sector, the damage casualisation does to careers and to student experiences are a problem. The effects of diabolical management practices at Faculty level seem to reverberate for years and, in general, those in decision-making positions are often observed to be either disturbingly capricious or overly cautious. The 'silo effect; at Bristol is most pronounced and seems very hard to overcome indeed. The institution also has a long way to go in terms of gender equality and ethnic diversity but these are widely acknowledged with a sense of hopelessness, in a reminiscent of some other Russell Group universities. The university is creeping toward addressing other diversity issues with Stonewall accreditation being considered. On these fronts it lags behind UWE quite significantly.

Intellectual freedom is exceptionally important, respect it and exercise it even in your management position. Asking what is 'right' is not irrelevant, not everything in an institution should be governed by the idea of 'economic imperatives'.

Unsupportive

Former Employee - PDRA  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PDRA in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at University of Bristol as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Lovely city. Some nice colleagues.

Cons

Extremely unsupportive management. Stress, burnout and poor mental health appear to be an acceptable (even expected) price to be paid by post docs in the furtherance of professorial careers.
    Central management were also woeful.

More support to contract staff. It's bad enough being stuck on fixed term contracts without having some bullying professor running rough shod all over their personal life and mental health.

An amazing institution to work for, very passionate for the success of the University of Bristol

Current Employee - Student Administrator  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Student Administrator in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Bristol full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great structures are in place to ensure that staff are well looked after and supported. Full of lovely people who strive to make the University not only a great place to work but also give students a fantastic experience. Development opportunities are great, the University offers a great wide range of courses that you can attend whilst working there from IT courses to Women Self-defence classes.

Cons

No cons at all.

Very happy with the structures of the University, the Vice-Chancellor is very well respected however, it could be useful if top level meetings and processes such as buying new buildings or funding new projects were clearly outlined locally and shown how this is possible - from the first steps to the last.

Very nice staff but training has been hard to get.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Administrator  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Administrator in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Bristol full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a prestigious University and the workload is varied and people trust you to get on with your work. Collaborative working is common between departments, schools and faculties. Staff are professional and supportive.

Cons

I have had to learn on the job with little or no training.

Induction should be structured and standardised. Training should be implemented better and more widespread.

Great

Current Employee - Telethon Supervisor  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Telethon Supervisor in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Bristol part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment to work in. All staff friendly and approachable. Great opportunities for job progression.

Cons

Can't think of any in particular. Parking is a problem within the university but I would imagine that true of all inner city work spaces.

Could do with more advertisement of the great things that occur within the university and better links between the union and the student body.

A pleasure and an honour to be a student at this university.

Current Employee - Student  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Student in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Bristol full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

With the ridiculous numbers of places to work and the view from some of them it almost makes the hills tolerable! It's pretty incredible to show people the uni with the architecture of the buildings we have, Wills will never lose the wow factor and its utter charm no mater how many times you use it as a meet up point. With staff being friendly and helpful it's nice not to be spoken down to or be patronised after reels of questions that are asked to lecturers or any staff member really. To have been so accommodating on my arrival to the university, it almost makes me feel it is my duty to provide that experience to any first year I come across in the following years. I'm an international ambassador and with that I have realised the lengths the university goes to, to ensure everyone is accommodated in there needs and how happy to help everyone is. Plus if you really think about it, i'm taking time out to do this for free so that's got to speak for itself...

Cons

For me it is a rather painful journey home with bristol's out of the way location so that is definitely a draw back. I suppose I wish there was integration between different years, that did not involve heavily drinking or a night club. socials only seem to take the form of a bar crawl and that never is a social situation really because people stick to who they know, and probably won't remember anyone new with the level of intoxication they reach. I also would have liked the student union to offer things like pool and snooker, a social place for one to actually go because it's such a beautiful building inside, more people should have reason to use it.

Definitely continue with the way things are being done because I think it's excellent at the minute. One thing I think is important academically though is the removal of negative marking or ranking confidence in an answer for more marks. This only makes pupils fear what they know. No human being is confident of everything and every answer they give, using rational to make an educated guess is incredibly useful and this should not be penalised. It makes student resent the exam process even more and namely the faculty, especially when the widespread inequality between each faculty is so noticeable.

Fun place to work, but the way things are run centrally will drive you insane.

Current Employee - Assistant  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Bristol part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's fun and the people are lovely. Good benefits and very flexible.

Cons

Many things are run centrally in the university. However, the system is very very poor and the people running the things can be extremely incompetent, you'll be surprised!

Regularly ask for feedback and opinions from staff below you. You won't believe how frustrated you can make them.

University of Bristol Photos

Geography Department, University of Bristol (Photo thanks to Geograph user Linda Bailey, Some Rights Reserved)
Royal Fort Tower, Bristol University (Photo thanks to Geograph user Linda Bailey, Some Rights Reserved)
Churchill Hall of Residence, University of Bristol (Photo thanks to Geograph user Matthew Carmichael, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo

Worked for University of Bristol? Contribute to the Community!