University of Bristol

www.bris.ac.uk

University of Bristol Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

University of Bristol Chancellor The Right Honourable the Baroness Hale of Richmond

The Right Honourable the Baroness Hale of Richmond

Very nice staff but training has been hard to get.

Undergraduate Administrator (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsIt's a prestigious University and the workload is varied and people trust you to get on with your work. Collaborative working is common between departments, schools and faculties. Staff are professional and supportive.

ConsI have had to learn on the job with little or no training.

Advice to Senior ManagementInduction should be structured and standardised. Training should be implemented better and more widespread.

Medical student

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat city and the uni gives you plenty of opportunities to explore the areas you are generally interested in. Glad I made this choice

ConsCourse organisation can sometimes be interesting. The travel between clinical placements is not always ideal. The university has lost a lot of its prestige

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the league table rankings up! Find a format for the course and stick to it

Great

Telethon Supervisor (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsGreat environment to work in. All staff friendly and approachable. Great opportunities for job progression.

ConsCan't think of any in particular. Parking is a problem within the university but I would imagine that true of all inner city work spaces.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould do with more advertisement of the great things that occur within the university and better links between the union and the student body.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A pleasure and an honour to be a student at this university.

Student (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsWith the ridiculous numbers of places to work and the view from some of them it almost makes the hills tolerable! It's pretty incredible to show people the uni with the architecture of the buildings we have, Wills will never lose the wow factor and its utter charm no mater how many times you use it as a meet up point. With staff being friendly and helpful it's nice not to be spoken down to or be patronised after reels of questions that are asked to lecturers or any staff member really. To have been so accommodating on my arrival to the university, it almost makes me feel it is my duty to provide that experience to any first year I come across in the following years. I'm an international ambassador and with that I have realised the lengths the university goes to, to ensure everyone is accommodated in there needs and how happy to help everyone is. Plus if you really think about it, i'm taking time out to do this for free so that's got to speak for itself...

ConsFor me it is a rather painful journey home with bristol's out of the way location so that is definitely a draw back. I suppose I wish there was integration between different years, that did not involve heavily drinking or a night club. socials only seem to take the form of a bar crawl and that never is a social situation really because people stick to who they know, and probably won't remember anyone new with the level of intoxication they reach. I also would have liked the student union to offer things like pool and snooker, a social place for one to actually go because it's such a beautiful building inside, more people should have reason to use it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely continue with the way things are being done because I think it's excellent at the minute. One thing I think is important academically though is the removal of negative marking or ranking confidence in an answer for more marks. This only makes pupils fear what they know. No human being is confident of everything and every answer they give, using rational to make an educated guess is incredibly useful and this should not be penalised. It makes student resent the exam process even more and namely the faculty, especially when the widespread inequality between each faculty is so noticeable.

Good

ProsGood reputation and nice city

ConsGood facilities and bad organization

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter organization

Fun place to work, but the way things are run centrally will drive you insane.

Assistant (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsIt's fun and the people are lovely. Good benefits and very flexible.

ConsMany things are run centrally in the university. However, the system is very very poor and the people running the things can be extremely incompetent, you'll be surprised!

Advice to Senior ManagementRegularly ask for feedback and opinions from staff below you. You won't believe how frustrated you can make them.

Excellent Company to work for with loads of benefits.

Swimming Instructor/Pool Attendant (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsAmount of holiday entitlement. Meeting new students. Flexible working hours. Good team work with contracted members of staff.

ConsDealing with casual members of staff, that don't put as much effort into the University as us contacted staff. No parking on Site!!

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer specific courses for certain departments to progress staff in certain roles / careers.

Student

Student (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsCosy surrounding, Flexible walking distance, high ranking in engineering, good high balance, sufficient training , good weather, competitive environement, great graduate prospects

ConsAccounting and management rankings, stressful surroundings, far halls including wills, badock in stoke bishop which takes about 30 minutes bus ride !

Advice to Senior ManagementTime-off policies, flexible working hours, focus more on the hall

Great experience as a Computer Science teaching assistant

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsGreat hourly rate for a student employee.
    Interesting job/relevant experience
    Friendly staff
    Incredible flexibility: managed to take vacation time when looking through

ConsBureaucracy side of things was messy: contract dates were set for the entire academic year, although I only worked for half of it, making taxes a mess and getting required forms from the HR/Payroll department hard.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee)

ProsGreat academic environment, Nice campus

ConsSometimes money is spent on less important things

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't spend money on sculptures when people are being laid off

Worked for University of Bristol? Contribute to the Community!