University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia President Stephen J. Toope

Stephen J. Toope

131 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

place of mind

I have been working at University of British Columbia full-time for less than a year

Prosgreat place, good city to live and work

Consvery expensive city, poor wages

UBC was a great place to work and once you're hired, there's a lot of opportunity to advance.

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at University of British Columbia as a contractor for more than a year

ProsSupport employee development, provide good benefits and lot of opportunities.

ConsYou really need to network in order to take advantage of the opportunities. It's been my experience that it's who you know rather than skill that helps you move up.

A great time and awesome learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of British Columbia full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people to work with and UBC is situated on a beautiful campus. Amazing opportunities. Awesome benefits package.

ConsPay wasn't always comparable to private sector. Leadership puts out great ideas but often fails in implementation. Parking pass even for staff is $100/month. Food options are expensive on campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunity feedback was always essential yet rarely ever actually considered seriously, as if people would appreciate the efforts and the end result. The grand ideas were nice, yet the end results always failed due to politicking and decision by committees and the produced product was a shadow of the what it could potentially could have been.

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at University of British Columbia part-time for less than a year

ProsWorking as a TA is fun if you enjoy teaching. Collaborating with other TAs was also a good experience. The experience improves not only your teaching abilities, but also your abilities as a public speaker, as multiple tutorials (lectures) are given to undergraduate students weekly.

ConsSome professors need greater involvement with the TAs to provide a better learning experience for undergraduates. Greater salary to adjust for high Vancouver living expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater transparency in how summer TAs are awarded should be provided.

Fast paced, but relaxed.

Hockey League Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at University of British Columbia for less than a year

ProsA casual work place, relatively stress free. Supervisors and managers are nice. Flexible schedule. A decent job if you are a student at UBC.

ConsJobs are mainly for students. Pay is cut once you are no longer a student. Occasionally have to deal with rude and angry clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeems to be doing alright, keep it up.

Research environment is great in UBC, lots of opportunity to work and research. City is awesome.

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I have been working at University of British Columbia part-time for more than a year

ProsCity environment is very enjoyable, life is easy, public transportation system is good. Big companies recruit students directly from campus

ConsNot a big city and university.

Outstanding work environment and atmosphere - By far the best place I have worked for

Manager (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at University of British Columbia full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAn amazingly great workplace environment and I consider myself very fortunate to be part of it. Great relationships and inclusion. I'm enormously proud to work with the greatest group of people in a harmonious atmosphere.

ConsCommute time but that is really minor compared to the Pros.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpportunity for improvement in areas impacting attraction and retention, and workload.

Great

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at University of British Columbia part-time for more than a year

ProsTeaching something will make you understand the material much better. Pay is quite reasonable. If the prof is good, he/she will help you develop instructional skills. Opportunity to make an impact on other students' educational experiences. Income is nice while studying -- right on campus.

ConsThere wasn't much training for first time TAs, thus, TA standards varied. Some TAs were obviously there just for the pay. Others you can tell genuinely wanted to make a positive difference in other students' learning. You don't get much feedback from students or profs at the end of the term.

Advice to Senior ManagementStandardize orientation training for TAs. Need better framework for improving TA skills/experience throughout TA-ship.

Postdoc in Math Department

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee)

I worked at University of British Columbia as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat city, great campus.
Only one semester of teaching per year.
Faculty was quite friendly and down to earth. Despite a failry large department and a lot of postdocs, they made sure that nobody was totally ignored in terms of teaching or research.

ConsClass sizes were on the large end (150ish).
The standard postdoc offered was only 2 years.
My office was extremely cramped and shared with three other postdocs.

excellent

I have been working at University of British Columbia

ProsNotorious faculty depending on what you want to study

ConsNot enough industry presence... makes it hard to land a well paying job after graduation

Worked for University of British Columbia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of British Columbia reviews and ratings in Canada — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of British Columbia CEO Stephen J. Toope. All 131 reviews posted anonymously by University of British Columbia employees.