University of Calgary

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of Calgary President Elizabeth Cannon

Elizabeth Cannon

Pros
  • For the most part, work-life balance is well supported by leadership (in 8 reviews)

• Flexible hours and fun environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • little room for growth, no real advancement in place for post-docs (in 4 reviews)

• Low salary, unstable job situation (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

disappointing, the university has a lot of room for improvement.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe city, just like anyplace there are good people trying to do their best. If these people are supported and decision making was done with the input of those that actually do the work, a great improvement in execution could be achieved.

ConsNot a good place to work. Not a meritocracy. Very political. My experience showed clearly that elements of the UofC Administration follow the maxim that B's hire C's and C's hire D's.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and promote based on merit. Get rid of people in positions that are clearly there because of their connections and not their ability.

Good for administrators, bad for younger faculty and students

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsHaving job anywhere is something to be thankful for. If you are an engineer like the president of U of C it might be a good place to attend/work. Also good if you already have tenure (meaning you are in your mid-50s or older) and can't be fired.

ConsNo sense of community AT ALL. It's everyone for himself and winner takes all at this institution. Polytechnic better describes U of C than "university." Hiring for best positions based on family and other connections (spousal hires, sons/daughters, lovers, etc.), politics, and rarely merit. Though paid the most, tenured faculty often teach very few and very small classes yet are not always productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in and better respect ALL employees. Meet face to face with younger faculty (especially those on contract doing most of the teaching) - don't just send out an anonymous survey costing hundreds of thousands of dollars and listen to tenured faculty who have no reason to improve/change things.

Be prepared to work hard for little reward

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe University of Calgary will pay for courses during your employment

ConsOne will work extremely hard for little return.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the Union

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Third rate leadership

Program Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsHealth plan and benefits are good

ConsLow quality leadership and a very narrow inclusive mentality. Excessively political, promotion not based on merit

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen people want to improve things encourage them. Promote qualified people.

very stressful

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Proslots of funding
    benefit is decent

Consvery poor management
    very inefficient
    no fairness and resection to staff

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of middle management level personal

Not what it was advertised for graduate studies

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThere was a fairly positive work environment in my graduate program department which allowed me to network and make good connections

ConsAdvertise generous entrance awards for grad students and these were given to a minority of students doing lab work only. The awards, travel funds and funding in general is quite limited, for example, you are only eligible for 1 travel award per degree of $500 max.

Meh

Software Developer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsFlexibility in hours, vacation. 4 weeks vacation, plus 1 week off during the holidays. Good benefits

ConsThings get done really slow, leadership could be a lot better. Not as exciting, no recognition for great work, very rarely they give bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee your employees more often, have a chat with them, or take them to team outings. Appreciate them more often. Be open and transparent. Make this a fun and exciting workplace.

Not a very good school

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsIn heart of oil expansion economy

ConsLess R&D activities. Less areas to work on.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove industry academy relations

Unorganized company

TFDL Staff (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe people I worked with (front line staff) were very nice and made the job bearable. The facilities are very nice on campus and students are generally in a good mood when chatting with them. Pay was decent for what the job entailed.

ConsHR seemed unorganized with payment methods and letting staff know about timesheet submittal and approval processes. Scheduling methods could also be improved.

Terrible morale, poor teamwork

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe general pros of academia: flexible hours, minimal oversight.

ConsU of C thinks it's better than it is. The 'silo mentality' is particularly bad, and the Deans and up don't seem to see it or care.

Worked for University of Calgary? Contribute to the Community!