University of California Berkeley

University of California Berkeley Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

University of California Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas B. Dirks

Nicholas B. Dirks

Pros:
  • "The benefits are outstanding, and having work-life balance is actually possible"
    in 20 reviews
  • "This job had very flexible hours and the interview process was very simple"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "the pay is low but it is made up by tuition remission"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Budget cuts means possible inconsistent hours and changes to programs"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I worked as a student library employee in Main Stacks.

Student Library Employee (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsHours are flexible, the workers are other students and a friendly atmosphere is encouraged, and it's really easy to get to in-between classes. There is always work to do if you want extra hours. If you just want to work without socializing, you can just listen to music and work at your own pace.

ConsThe supervisors are also students and there's a certain amount of favoritism in who gets promoted to those positions. It was also extremely difficult to get a position at the reception desk unless you were in that crowd. While I was there security was also non-existent and my wallet was stolen from my bag while I was working. It's not the most intellectually stimulating job.

It was a great experience

Student Tutor (Former Employee)

ProsThere are many top tier scholars and industrial partners in our department. The colleagues and fellow students here are young and smart. I have a great time here working and meeting with them.

ConsThe working hours of a student are far more than those of a different school. Occasional bureaucaracy, but not as bad as you might expect. Very uncertain hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell done

Great co workers....poor management

Cook (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsGreat co workers, good working environment

ConsManagers treated some employees with disrespect. Degrading them In front of all the hear. Promises were made that were broken. No communication. No room for advancement. People who were higher in rank, seemed to take advantage of those that worked hard. A heard a lot of "that's not my job!"

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like humans. Communication is key. Managers need to lead by example.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay but isolated

Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsWas good to be in the college atmosphere, access to libraries, online tools, campus events.

ConsVery isolated, everyone seems overwhelmed with the amount of work they have to do. Budget cuts mean everyone is doing the job of 3+ people. Add to that the bureaucracy that means inefficient use of time/resources anyway... and, well, not much gets done.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on education, revisit and revise organizational structure and practices, fire people who aren't doing their job.

A fairly typical job, but short shifts and lack of parking is problematic.

Student Food Service Worker (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsThe food options, both on and off campus, are pretty good. There are periods of slowness where you can do pretty much whatever you want.

ConsLack of nearby parking meant I would have to spend my break running to my car to fill the meter. Even then, sometimes I would get ticketed which would annihilate most of my paycheck for the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some standard procedure concerning parking for employees.

Great place to have a comfortable work-life balance, but not a good choice for ambitious employees.

Payroll Analyst II (Former Employee)
    UC Berkeley, CA

Proswork-life balance, great benefits, extremely lax company culture, easy, flexibility with working hours, great commute via Bart

Consno room for professional or personal growth, poor management, over-achievers are never rewarded, too much red-tape, too many slackers on campus that hide behind legal security and threaten officials with filing grievances and etc.

Advice to Senior Managementlead by example: promote hard-working individuals and also reinforce the importance of education and updating job skills; stop being afraid of employees filing grievances just because they are asked to perform a job function not written into their job description.

Cal Calling Center was a fantastic job for a student that offers good pay and a relaxed environment.

Student Fundraiser (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsLots of feedback on work performance, positive and relaxed work environment, very flexible scheduling, good rate of pay for a student job, enhances your abilities in negotiating.

ConsIt's a call center, so when you are not talking to anyone it can get boring. However, since studying is permitted when you aren't actually on the phone, this is a minimal problem. Occasionally there would be technical issues, but these were usually addressed promptly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe environment can get pretty loud, which could sometimes affect my ability to clench a pledge.

Great University, Great Location, Great Weather

Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee)

ProsGreat University, Great Location, Great Weather
    There is no limit for you to learn, to explore, to research here.

ConsThe postdoc pay may be not so great, compared to the local living expensive. But that is kind of normal in most other famous universities as well.

Graduate researcher

Prospeople here are really friendly, and the faculty members are usually really laid-back. Genereally speaking,
    it is a great place to stay for a long time ha

ConsI can't really think of any cons about UC at this moment. the only one I can think of is that being laid back means you have to be responsible for yourself. You have to find a way to keep yourself motivated.

Great Organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo workers, work and life balance

ConsBudget Cuts - limited resources

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of California Berkeley reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of California Berkeley CEO Nicholas B. Dirks. All 589 reviews posted anonymously by University of California Berkeley employees.