University of California Berkeley

University of California Berkeley Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

University of California Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas B. Dirks

Nicholas B. Dirks

Pros
  • The benefits are outstanding, and having work-life balance is actually possible(in 23 reviews)

• This job had very flexible hours and the interview process was very simple(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • the pay is low but it is made up by tuition remission(in 20 reviews)

• Budget cuts mean everyone is doing the job of 3(in 23 reviews)

Great University, Great Location, Great Weather

Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsGreat University, Great Location, Great Weather
    There is no limit for you to learn, to explore, to research here.

ConsThe postdoc pay may be not so great, compared to the local living expensive. But that is kind of normal in most other famous universities as well.

Graduate researcher

Prospeople here are really friendly, and the faculty members are usually really laid-back. Genereally speaking,
    it is a great place to stay for a long time ha

ConsI can't really think of any cons about UC at this moment. the only one I can think of is that being laid back means you have to be responsible for yourself. You have to find a way to keep yourself motivated.

Great opportunities

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsGreat research opportunities. A lot of opportunities for students to work while studying. People are pleasant to work with. Schedule is very flexible so works well if you're also taking classes.

ConsPeople are quite busy and it may be difficult to set up meetings in person, although email correspondence is great.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo workers, work and life balance

ConsBudget Cuts - limited resources

Most dysfunctional place I have ever worked.

Graduate Student (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsNice weather and the food and local produce are very good.

ConsI was working for a senior professor famous for marine biomechanics who was very abusive. I would describe more but I fear retribution from her, in the form of derogatory comments given in secret to block me from any further work in biomechanics research (which is a small community in which she has tremendous influence).

Advice to Senior ManagementAcademia is not a corporation. People matter, and senior people like professors can make or ruin the careers of many promising students, including those from underrepresented minorities.

Graduate student researcher

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsGreat resources, smart co-workers, nearly everything you'd expect from a top-tier research institution.

ConsThe high level of bureaucracy often makes it difficult, slow, or painful to get routine things done. It's often difficult to find out who to even talk to if you need to do something out of the ordinary or if you need a rule bent for you.

Dedicated people run this university

Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsThe staff and faculty are dynamic and caring. As a graduate student researcher and instructor I felt supported by the professors I worked for as well as by the staff in my department. The people at Berkeley are passionate about what they do and embody the values of diversity and inclusion that Berkeley strives to attain.

ConsBerkeley is a large bureaucracy and sometimes you encounter people with a very bureaucratic way of doing things. Graduate student workers are also notoriously underpaid, although I believe conditions would be much worse without the active involvement of the union.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to value and provided solid training to graduate student workers.

Great to work as a student, lively culture and great co-workers. Lots of room for growth and can create your own project

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat to work for work-study position. Great staff and co-workers who will train you.

ConsLots of different projects to become involved in however sometimes tasks are confusing or work is not showcased.

Great people, great job, great experience.

Resident Assistant (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsLots of resources for employees and higher ups are very considerate and accommodating to all needs.

ConsHiring process can be a bit rigid and some great candidates fall through the cracks.

Great place to have a comfortable work-life balance, but not a good choice for ambitious employees.

Payroll Analyst II (Former Employee) UC Berkeley, CA

Proswork-life balance, great benefits, extremely lax company culture, easy, flexibility with working hours, great commute via Bart

Consno room for professional or personal growth, poor management, over-achievers are never rewarded, too much red-tape, too many slackers on campus that hide behind legal security and threaten officials with filing grievances and etc.

Advice to Senior Managementlead by example: promote hard-working individuals and also reinforce the importance of education and updating job skills; stop being afraid of employees filing grievances just because they are asked to perform a job function not written into their job description.

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!